Mt Solitary water sources

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Solitary water sources

Postby Flipper Hands » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 10:46 am

About to do Katoomba to Wentworth Falls via the Jamison Valley over 2 days.

I have not done this walk before. I will be solo.
I have not decided where I will camp, the deciding factor will be water reliability.
The only reliable source seems to be the Kedumba River. Singa-Jingawell Creek and Chinamans Creek seem to be sketchy. At this time of year I am very dubious about supply.

Are there any other spots along the way where I can reliably top up (tanks etc) with a side trip?
Should I resign myself to a water carry?

Edit: Dangit - "...Kedumba River being the only source of reliable water in the middle of this walk." Right there on the Wildwalks track notes.

Does anyone have recent information on water flow for the creeks up top?
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Solitary water sources

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 1:43 pm

Looking at the weather data online for Katoomba, I would think there has been sufficient rain recently for there to be adequate water available on and near Mt Solitary for your needs.

Water sources -

Tanks, at shelters near Ruined Castle.
Old mine near the track under Ruined Castle (not that reliable in recent years)

On Mt Solitary - Chinamans Ck - best pools are low down nearer to the northern cliff, from a small tributary creek. It has pools that are shaded and deep - so rarely dry up
Singajinglewell - near the campsite - go upstream rather than downstream to find pools (and also less likely to be polluted), and also lower down near the cliffs (but then this means you need to go well off the track)

Also - the odd rock pool on the tops.

Kedumba Ck - plenty of water - but best to treat (boil or filter etc). But side creeks, if flowing, are OK.

Note - that the middle of summer is not the best time of the year for Mt Solitary, especially if hot weather is forecast.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Mt Solitary water sources

Postby Flipper Hands » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 2:44 pm

DaveNoble wrote:Tanks, at shelters near Ruined Castle.
Old mine near the track under Ruined Castle (not that reliable in recent years)

On Mt Solitary - Chinamans Ck - best pools are low down nearer to the northern cliff, from a small tributary creek. It has pools that are shaded and deep - so rarely dry up
Singajinglewell - near the campsite - go upstream rather than downstream to find pools (and also less likely to be polluted), and also lower down near the cliffs (but then this means you need to go well off the track)

Also - the odd rock pool on the tops.

That's just the local knowledge I needed!

DaveNoble wrote:Note - that the middle of summer is not the best time of the year for Mt Solitary, especially if hot weather is forecast

I appreciate the concern. If its too hot on the day I'll alter to a day walk.

Thanks Dave
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT