Claustral Canyon access

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Claustral Canyon access

Postby acek47 » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi all,

First time poster hope i'm doing everything correctly.

My mate and I enjoy doing some adventurous off the beaten track style hikes and are extremely keen on getting to the Claustral Canyon floor but not through the abseiling portion as neither of us have technical abseil skills.

Is there a method to get in, perhaps via the trail used to normally exit the canyon?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers
acek47
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Claustral Canyon access

Postby ribuck » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 6:03 pm

I think you have two options. Either follow the entry route and explore the stream above the abseils (which is exquisitely pretty in parts). A short trip.

Or use the exit route, which is considerably longer, and further down. When you get to the stream, turn upstream, wading as necessary. You might need to swim through the tunnel depending on the water level. At the junction with Thunder Gorge, go right (or explore both). It would be a solid day to get to the base of the final Claustral abseil and back again. Wetsuits strongly recommended.

Either way, take a handline of at least 10 metres, and don't go down anything that you can't definitely get back up.

Also, there's plenty of interesting and intricate country to explore on the tops, around Camels Hump. Just don't fall down into the canyon!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tom_brennan » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 7:35 am

What ribuck said. Access to the main part of the canyon without abseiling is very difficult - significantly more difficult and dangerous than with abseiling!!
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 12:26 pm

Also - even if you made your way to the bottom of Rainbow Ravine, it is not easy to traverse up the canyon. There are a number of tricky drops that have to be climbed up in the Thunder Canyon section before the Claustral Junction.

You may be better to visit canyons such as Rocky Creek, which also has a very long, deep and dark constriction, but has no abseils. Or Grand Canyon - which can be visited by going up the canyon from below. No significant obstacles except for a long swim.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm

You can also experience Claustral Canyon as a virtual experience at the NPWS visitor centre at Blackheath (near Govetts Leap). Quite amazing technology.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 06 Jan, 2018 6:04 am

Are there still tour groups doing this canyon. It was one of the most popular and then it can be done with relative safety. I know a number of people with no prior experience in canyons who have done this one. I did in fact break some ribs in it after slipping but it was not on an abseil.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Chunder fuzz » Sat 06 Jan, 2018 7:08 am

ASM still do canyon guiding through claustral and a few others. Pretty sure eagle adventures also .
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Sat 06 Jan, 2018 8:39 pm

It was one of the most popular and then it can be done with relative safety.

That is, apart from the people who have died in it.
Never ever try doing it if rain threatens.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 6:17 am

rcaffin wrote:
It was one of the most popular and then it can be done with relative safety.

That is, apart from the people who have died in it.
Never ever try doing it if rain threatens.

Cheers
Roger

Agreed Roger, or any other canyon if heavy rain is likely. Nothing is completely safe but if you do not have the skills or equipment then a tour group is a much better way to go. I think there were 3 in 1982 who died in Claustral due to flash flooding and then one in 2007, again in high water. Good commercial operators will cancel the trip if conditions are not right.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 11:28 am

I've started a Guide Canyon & Vertical Rescue course. Apparently most people die because they don't quite know the basics ie check weather conditions and what to do if you get stuck on a rope.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 3:04 pm

If you’re temped going on a guided trip than Eagle Rock Adventures does Claustral......between XMAS and New Year we did Abseiling and Empress Canyon one one day and Butter Box a few few days later with Eagle Rock, expensive and took us way out of our comfort zones but we 2 Adults and 4 Kids really enjoyed it.

We nearly switched Butter Box for Claustral but in the end stayed with Butter Box.
Somebody mentioned wetsuits, I couldn’t imagine doing the swim or jumps without a wetsuit.

We are keen to go back and explore non abseil areas, please report back if you venture in.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 4:45 pm

Neo wrote:Apparently most people die because they don't quite know the basics ie check weather conditions and what to do if you get stuck on a rope.

To be honest, very few people die canyoning in Oz
http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/canyoning_deaths.htm

As with anything involving exposure to heights and flowing water, it can be dangerous. But deaths are pretty infrequent. Particularly in the past few years.

The majority of the deaths are a series of mistakes reducing the margin for error, to a point where one of the minor errors becomes fatal.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 9:07 pm

I've also noticed a bit of OTT concern about tree danger. Makes sense to look up when choosing a spot to pitch your tent. Of the few 'outdoor' deaths maybe 5-10% are caused by tree or limb fall.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 9:08 pm

Great link Tom
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT