Mt Kosciuszko Weather and Water - Late Mar Early April

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Kosciuszko Weather and Water - Late Mar Early April

Postby weeds » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 3:29 pm

We a planning a week in and around Mt Kosciuszko to rejuvenate our hiking as we have done non since the Overland Track last XMAS. Doing the Aussie 10 over three or four days than heading around to Thredbo to do some mountain biking.

Any tips on gear we should take for three nights?

Water option whilst up on top of Australia??

We survived Overland Track and looking st the average temps we should be right....considering it snowed on us in December on the Overland Track.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Kosciuszko Weather and Water - Late Mar Early April

Postby rcaffin » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 7:58 pm

Gear: allow for snow storms ANY month. Seriously - we have had sleet on Boxing Day. It's the mountains ...
Water: rarely if ever a problem. A couple of 1.25 L PET bottles are useful; one full is usually enough.
Mountain biking - OK downhill at Thredders, but BANNED elsewhere. Don't try it.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 9:27 pm

rcaffin wrote:Gear: allow for snow storms ANY month. Seriously - we have had sleet on Boxing Day. It's the mountains ...
Water: rarely if ever a problem. A couple of 1.25 L PET bottles are useful; one full is usually enough.
Mountain biking - OK downhill at Thredders, but BANNED elsewhere. Don't try it.

Cheers
Roger

Thanks Roger....

Anything in particular for snow storms? Over and above setting up the tent??

We probably need to invest in gloves at some stage is one thing we are probably missing.

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 9:58 pm

Can be beautiful, rain, sleet, snow, really hot or cold. Personally at that time of year I would take a pair of self proofed riggers gloves, versitile, like if you lose the pot grips. There is little respite if you are in rain its between 0C and 10 C and blowing a gale. Go synthetic, take some chux or a micro fibre cloth. Deet. Agree with RC about pet but take at least 1 wide mouth mug in group if yo have to fill from a shallow source. Take 2 fire starter devices each
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby weeds » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 10:03 pm

davidf wrote:Can be beautiful, rain, sleet, snow, really hot or cold. Personally at that time of year I would take a pair of self proofed riggers gloves, versitile, like if you lose the pot grips. There is little respite if you are in rain its between 0C and 10 C and blowing a gale. Go synthetic, take some chux or a micro fibre cloth. Deet. Agree with RC about pet but take at least 1 wide mouth mug in group if yo have to fill from a shallow source. Take 2 fire starter devices each

Thanks David

Self proofed riggers gloves??

Go synthetic??

Water containers we have covered

Normally carry 1 fire starter each.....

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 7:23 am

Water on the Main Range is always abundant, you may have to get it from a soak or a small pool up high but generally its nothing to worry about. please filter or treat water up there. The huge amount of traffic and general lack of care by day visitors make me always cautious.

March and April are my favourite times up there. The days are warmish (10c - 15c) and the nights cool (2c - -2c). But being the alpine, the weather can change very quickly.

Its great you survived the Overland Track, but the Main Range has 600-700 meters on Cradle Mountain. The winds can be vicious up there and visibility can deteriorate within minutes. You will be walking off track for a bit of the walk so some navigation skills will be useful. Knowing where and how to pitch your tent correctly in poor weather can be life saving.

Most of all have fun. The walking is easy and the views stunning. Enjoy!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby weeds » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 9:12 am

Zapruda wrote:Water on the Main Range is always abundant, you may have to get it from a soak or a small pool up high but generally its nothing to worry about. please filter or treat water up there. The huge amount of traffic and general lack of care by day visitors make me always cautious.

March and April are my favourite times up there. The days are warmish (10c - 15c) and the nights cool (2c - -2c). But being the alpine, the weather can change very quickly.

Its great you survived the Overland Track, but the Main Range has 600-700 meters on Cradle Mountain. The winds can be vicious up there and visibility can deteriorate within minutes. You will be walking off track for a bit of the walk so some navigation skills will be useful. Knowing where and how to pitch your tent correctly in poor weather can be life saving.

Most of all have fun. The walking is easy and the views stunning. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips.

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:39 pm

Hmm - Easter -> Top 10.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 4:45 pm

Anything in particular for snow storms? Over and above setting up the tent??

7586.jpg
7586.jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 7550 times

Imagine walking along the Main Range with the wind doing 60 kph and the rain heavy at 5 C. Some WP outer layers could be life-saving. We take silnylon ponchos and cheap PU-coated over-trousers.

5764.jpg
5764.jpg (122.44 KiB) Viewed 7550 times

A good tent able to take 60 kph winds is essential. Most cheap pop-ups and 2.5 pole domes simply cannot handle the bad conditions. True, you may not meet those conditions: here's hoping.

5641.jpg
5641.jpg (110.13 KiB) Viewed 7550 times

A decent remote inverted canister stove inside the tent vestibule will let you cook under storm conditions. Alky stoves ... don't have the guts in the cold. Shellite stoves are obsolete and dangerous in a tent.
A few spare packets of Instant Soup can be very nice ...
(Yeah, there was snow on the ground. It happens.)

Large hats for the sunny weather, and sun-screen (and long sleeves and trousers). The UV can be a bit high up there. Skiing one year we had to wear silk bandannas across our faces to keep the sun off.

We probably need to invest in gloves at some stage

YES. I would recommend fleece gloves plus WP overmitts. You may never need them of course, but playing with the tent when your fingers are wet and near 0 C can be very dangerous. (Been there, done that ...) If you don't have light WP overmitts, a few spare breadbags can be conscripted. Take >2 each.

And a really essential item: a good camera!

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kjbeath » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 6:10 am

Pay attention to the weather forecast. When a cold front comes through the weather can change dramatically and you will not want to be on the main range when it does. Due to the camping restrictions around the lakes it will leave few options for camping. I'm not certain what Wilkinsons Creek will be like then as it is slightly sheltered.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT