Pinnacle FT on Grey Mare Range

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pinnacle FT on Grey Mare Range

Postby rcaffin » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:25 pm

Has anyone been up or down this in the last few years - full length from The Twins to the Geehi Dam Rd?
We did it in 2006 after the fires, and it was a bit overgrown with wattle at that stage.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Pinnacle FT on Grey Mare Range

Postby Zapruda » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 5:17 pm

I am interested in the answer to this as well. I walked out to Grey Mare hut from Guthega Dam on Saturday and on the approach to the hut I kept seeing the track leading up to the ridge and thought it would be worth exploring that area. The Geehi dam climb looks like fun on the topos...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 8:33 pm

I asked the NPWS HQ.
They referred me to the Jindi Ranger. He was away but referred me to his Area Mgr.
I asked the Area Mgr. Pinnacles are not his area,, so he referred me to Area Mgr 'next door'.
Area Mgr next door did not know, but referred me to one of his Rangers.
With me still?
That Ranger tells me it is 'mostly clear' but not drivable. Have to find out.

The climb up from the dam is a shade steep and long. :)

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:24 am

Well, that sounds about right... I appreciate the update.

Ill post back here if I make it out there before the snow starts falling. I wouldn't mind walking along the ridge and dropping down to Pretty Plain. I found an old trail near Bulls Head Rock that looks promising.

http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.20104027054029&lng=148.31137418746948&zoom=16&id=1521501326288

Do you have any insights or advice in that area, Roger? Obviously Jagungal can be a mixed bag with scrub.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 7:26 pm

Ah yes. The remains of the Strumbo FT, going from the Grey Mare Range to the Dargals FT. It used to be a very nice walk, with HUGE mountain ash trees in the valley (magnificent things), but after the 2003 fires the wattle regrowth was incredible, especially where the open track had been. We did walk it after the fires - once, and found that you could travel faster by staying OFF the track itself. It was a bit tiring ...

I gather it has been cleared from the Dargals to the Pretty Plain valley/saddle - or so it seems from Google Earth, but there are a few km between that part and the track coming off the Grey Mare Range which has not been cleared. Linking the two could be a bit tricky.

Imho, that FT should be recleared, at least to walking track standard. It can make for some very interesting loops.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 6:40 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the info, Roger. Looks like I have some exploring to do.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cammo » Fri 26 Jan, 2024 7:47 pm

Did a 4 day hike Dec 27 starting with Day 1 Olsens Road (closed - no surprise) to Grey Mare Hut via Pinnacle Trail. Roughly 32k's 13hrs. What can l say about the first half of Pinnacle Trail... very slow, very wet, very overgrown, trees down everywhere plus leech infested with a few snakes thrown in.
Cammo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT