Looking for a very lush, rainforesty walk near Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for a very lush, rainforesty walk near Sydney

Postby mandragara » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 3:46 pm

I've done extensive walking myself around Sydney, with many a bush-bash around the Colo and in Yengo NP. However I've recently started walking with my old man and he's more of a fan of lush, wet surroundings as opposed to the drier sclerophyll forests I generally find myself in. He's also not a fan of crowds, a bit agoraphobic :mrgreen:

So I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions. If you've done Perry's lookout down to the Grose, the rainforesty bit at the start is nice. An hours drive or so would be perfect, my old man hates long drives. Sydney-Katoomba is about the limit. We're very tidy walkers who carry out any garbage we find, so we'll take good care of whatever you recommend!

Currently thinking of something near Bola Creek, although I have never been there, I just like Dave Noble's photos :)

Thanks guys, enjoy the last few warm weekends of the year!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Looking for a very lush, rainforesty walk near Sydney

Postby michael_p » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 4:09 pm

The waterfalls on the south side of the highway at Hazelbrook are a very good option. Lots of lush valleys and the waterfalls are great after a few days rain.

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 7:46 pm

I can only think of pockets of rainforest in Sydney. You'll find some off-track in gullies that are worth hunting out, but unfortunately many have become storm water drains or worse.
Bidjigal Reserve in Sydney is not a bad one for taking the dog for a walk.
Govetts Leap is the best I can think of. On overnighter from Victoria Falls is well worth it but does get busy from Acacia Flats to Govetts.
Some awesome pockets down in Morton NP as well if thats not too far afield.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

Something closer, in the Royal National Park? The southern section Lady Wakehurst Dr. Go in via McKell Ave and hunt for any of the tracks around that section of the park.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:44 am

mandragara wrote:Currently thinking of something near Bola Creek, although I have never been there, I just like Dave Noble's photos :)

GPSGuided wrote:Something closer, in the Royal National Park? The southern section Lady Wakehurst Dr. Go in via McKell Ave and hunt for any of the tracks around that section of the park.

Forest Island circuit in there comes to mind. Bola Creek is almost opposite. I think the Walumurra track was damaged in the summer bushfires - check if it has reopened although likely that any damage was higher up. The lower section near Lady Carrington Drive is lush but, to my mind, more open forest than rainforest. I think Dave Noble has an interest in the study of fungi in that locality.

Admittedly it's a little past Katoomba, for first time in ages, yesterday I revisited the Grand Canyon circuit. Much of that is very lush and rainforesty. All the trackwork has made it easy going. Remains a lovely walk, although it was quite busy being Easter Sunday. A longer circuit (favourite of mine) can be made by going down the umaintained Horse Track via Evans Lookout to near Junction Rock and join the Rodriguez Pass heading upstream, which is very lush with a number of waterfalls. It is getting eroded and rough but eventually rejoins the Grand Canyon tourist track, where you can continue on the canyon circuit to Neates Glen and back to the start. If time permits you can also cross Govetts Creek from lower Rodriguez Pass for a side trip up to Blackwall Glen, Edenderry Falls and Hilary Falls (route only).

Another thought is Mt Keira behind Wollongong. And some of the tracks around Macquarie Pass. Pretty much anything around that general area in the Southern HIghlands is worth investigating - Bundanoon has some, also around some of the waterfall locations, Hoddles track from Saddleback Mountain Inland from Kiama had some rainforest from memory. Another lovely, lush forested area is Meryla Pass via Moss Vale, and a couple of the side tracks off it although they're probably very overgrown these days.

I'm sure I can recall others I've done in the past.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 7:34 pm

Very lush rainforest ...
Why do LEECHES come screaming into my mind? Not to mention ticks if you are close to Sydney and dogs?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mandragara » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 9:57 pm

@johnw

Ended up walking the Forest Path Track which was a nice little loop. Then we went up Bola Gully and followed a side creek up to a nice little pool, where we waded around (and I drank 2 litres of unsterilised creek water, lets see how that goes...). We then walked and joined up with Palona Track, took about 7 hours total. Got caught in a hailstorm as well, which added another fun dimension to it.

I'll investigate the other areas you suggest, cheers!

@rcaffin

Leeches are OK, they're like mosquito's that don't leave a welt!

Have never had a tick before, i think they don't like me.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:22 pm

In the middle mountains, Hazelbrook Waterfalls (as suggested by michael_p) and Empire Pass both have lovely rainforest sections.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT