Where Can I Legally Use a Wood Fire Stove

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Where Can I Legally Use a Wood Fire Stove

Postby BigBenny » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 3:18 am

Hi All,

Where around Sydney can am I permitted to use a Wood Fire stove like the Firebox Nano or TrailDesigns Tri-Ti (Caldera Cone)?

The parks and trails I have visited so far have signs saying fires (or open flames) are banned, gas canister stoves seem to be permitted.

I like the idea of a wood fire, I like to watch it, and I like the smell. I want to do it somewhere where it is allowed, where I won't cause trouble, won't cause damage to the wilderness or animals, and won't get fined. Besides private land do places exists? I'm mostly interested in backcountry camping and hiking multi-day trails, camping along the way.

I am really tempted to buy some nice wood stoves but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on something that I can basically never use.
BigBenny
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Where Can I Legally Use a Wood Fire Stove

Postby ribuck » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 4:27 am

Most parts of Nattai, Kanangra Boyd, Morton, Budawangs, Colo, and much of the Blue Mountains National Park are OK for wood fires, though they can be subject to seasonal and/or total bans at times.

In practice you will find plenty of places where you can cook with wood, provided you venture further afield than the Royal National Park, Ku-Ring-Gai NP, Heathcote NP and the Grose Valley.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Where Can I Legally Use a Wood Fire Stove

Postby Warin » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 8:13 am

Most State Forests allow a camp fire.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT