Budawang Camp Cave

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Budawang Camp Cave

Postby Hoojar » Wed 20 Jun, 2018 4:36 pm

G'day,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Over the weekend I was exploring the area between Gadara Pass and Ngaitynug Falls in the Budawangs with my Scouts. We found a very large overhung camp cave about half way between the two. There were very few footprints in the cave, and no evidence of it being slept in (but there was the remains of a fire). The next day we found a very simple Pass that took us back up the eastern side of Gadara Point (we also found a Pass further towards the Falls that was marked with pink tape and went straight to the rock platform near the Falls).

Interestingly, the cave (despite being so large) is not marked on the Sketch Map, nor any other map that I have ever seen. It was extremely handy for us, given the strong south-westerly winds blowing all weekend.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of what the cave might be called? Before you post, no, it is not the marked cave on the western side of Gadara Pass. In the absence of any known name, my Scouts dubbed it One Thousand Man Cave.

Thanks,
Greg
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Budawang Camp Cave

Postby michael_p » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Hoojar and welcome.

You may have been very lucky and stumbled onto a little known camp cave.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Hoojar,
I couldn't find a name for it in Ron Doughton's Little Forest Plateau ebook, and that's got a pretty comprehensive account of the area. So maybe it doesn't have a name?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 11:28 am

There is already a thousand man cave on the side of Ti Willa plateau (as well as the 100 man cave).

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT