2 Weeks in NSW - Hiking Suggestions

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2 Weeks in NSW - Hiking Suggestions

Postby alex256 » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi! My girlfriend and I are looking at going to NSW for 2 weeks in early July and want to do some multi-day hikes during this time. The 10 highest summits in Australia walk looks amazing, just concerned about doing it during winter. Has anyone here done the walk in winter? Also just generally, any suggestions for multi-day hikes in NSW? Coastal, alpine, doesn't matter, we are open to anything :) Thanks!
alex256
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2 Weeks in NSW - Hiking Suggestions

Postby ribuck » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:27 am

If you can organize the transport, Kanangra Walls to Katoomba (Blue Mountains) in 4 days is fabulous. Likewise, Wog Wog to Yadboro (Budawangs) in 4 days.

If transport for one-way trips is not practical, you can do some multi-day loops:

Dunphy's Camping Area - Splendour Rock - Coxs River - Dunphy's Camping Area (3 or 4 days depending on route choice).
Kanangra Walls - Gingra Track - Campagnoni Pass - Mt Cloudmaker - Kanangra Walls (3 days)
Katoomba - Mt Solitary East Col - Traverse Mt Solitary - Ruined Castle - Katoomba (2 or 3 days depending on route).

Or you can use the train to complete the loop:

Mt Victoria Station - Victoria Falls - Burra Korain Flat - Blue Gum Forest - Junction Rock - Blackheath Station (2 or 3 days)
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:16 am

alex256 wrote: The 10 highest summits in Australia walk looks amazing, just concerned about doing it during winter. Has anyone here done the walk in winter?

Its fantastic in both winter and summer. If you don't have any winter bushwalking/skiing/snowshoeing experience I would strongly suggest you forget about this "walk". The peaks are currently covered in snow and will be that way until late October / November. July is a volatile time of the year up in the alps with storms and freezing temperatures. You would need the correct gear like a 4 season tent, winter sleeping bags rated to at least -10, snowshoes, winter stove etc. Navigation skills are very important in the snow as well, especially in a whiteout.

As ribuck suggested, something in the Budawangs or Blue Mountains would be very worthwhile. Its the perfect time of the year to visit those places. You could also look into the Nadgee wilderness walk.

Cheers.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 9:21 am

Main Range is doable (and wonderful) in winter but not a good idea if you have no experience in those conditions and/or if your gear isn't up to it. Ditto with much of the higher ground in KNP.

Easier options in the area include various parts of the AAWT, maybe from Dead Horse Gap down to Cowombat, doing a loop from near the Pilot along alternative Fire Trails. Pilot can be done as a sidetrip if the conditions permit.
Blue Mountains/Kanangra/Wollemi would be a better option for most, however.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lith » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 1:43 pm

Its fantastic in both winter and summer. If you don't have any winter bushwalking/skiing/snowshoeing experience I would strongly suggest you forget about this "walk".

Any suggestions for easier snowshoe walks? I've done snow walking before but only ever as a tagalong, never as the one finding the route or leading the way.

I'd like to get into it but not keen on getting killed by exposure due to inexperience
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 1:59 pm

Lith wrote:
Its fantastic in both winter and summer. If you don't have any winter bushwalking/skiing/snowshoeing experience I would strongly suggest you forget about this "walk".

Any suggestions for easier snowshoe walks? I've done snow walking before but only ever as a tagalong, never as the one finding the route or leading the way.

I'd like to get into it but not keen on getting killed by exposure due to inexperience

I take beginners snowshoeing along the follow routes. these are day walks.

- Porcupine track from Perisher is a classic.
- Munyang to any of the huts up along the Schlink corridor. Plenty of side trips along this route like Mt Gungarten for example.
- Cascades trail to Cascades hut or up the valley to Teddys hut.
- Dead Horse gap to the Ramshead

There are plenty more but these should get you going.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby alex256 » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks everyone for their responses, lots to think about! The Nadgee wilderness walk looks great, except that its a point-to-point walk, and logistically wise we need the routes to be a loop. My girlfriend and I have the gear for winter, minus snowshoes and crampons, which of the above tracks would be an ideal beginner snow walk? Preferably > 2 days. On a side note... If anyone is selling crampons/snowshoes, send me a message :)
alex256
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 6:11 pm

Cascades Track, from Dead Horse Gap. If the conditions are OK, you can peel off up to Teds for the night, or up to the Chimneys, or off along Bobs Ridge from where the track crests. Just walk as far as you want and camp, then back. Maybe do a little exploring while you're there.
From Munyang, up to the Schlinck Hilton, follow the track to Valentines. Good sidetrip options on that one: Dicky Coopers, Gungartan and the Kerries.

An easier option would be to hit the AAWT near Kiandra. Pick it up southbound at Pollocks Creek, do a short off-track bit up Tabletop, and go south then back. There are huts along the way to make it a bit easier (although you don't want to rely on reaching them), and it's good open country.
You could also hit other parts of the AAWT up that way, but they're more likely to involve water crossings. Bullock Hill FT has a good camping area, it's not far to Tantangara Creek, and southbound from there will get you down to Kiandra. Going north from Kiandra means crossing the river just after the fire trail starts.

Putting together a winter loop can be iffy, as there are access issues to places like Round Mountain (road closures) where the best tracked circuit options start. And your first trip up there should not involve going cross country in the snow.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 7:16 pm

This was a nice little snowshoe trip from Kiandra to a hut...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23714
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT