Great South Coast Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great South Coast Walk

Postby jobell » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey folks,

After wussing out on walking the Heysen Trail in SA through Winter I've been warming my heels on the New South Wales South Coast. Why I live in North East Victoria and not here I'm not sure. But I'm luckily able to spend winters here (near Batemans Bay) whenever I want. Having had a couple of weeks to enjoy the relatively mild weather here as well as indulge in hot showers and baths, good coffee and home made apple pies. I'm now ready to get walking again and have decided to get to know my favorite place in the world a whole lot better and give the Great South Coast Walk a go.

I'm starting this Sunday out of Bundeena and walking my way south. I'm aiming for Mallacoota by mid August-ish. I'm not in a hurry. After that I'll reassess if I want to continue/go home or finish the Heysen or heaven forbid, I might run out of money and have to get a job for a while to top up my walking coffers. Stranger things have happened.

Anyway, I'll Facebook my progress and experiences as I go if anyone wants to follow along: www.facebook.com/ratherbebushwalking. And if you live along the New South Wales South Coast and see a dodgy looking vagabond type wandering along in an AARN pack it's likely me so I'd love it if you come and say hi.

Oh... and I bought a Klymit LWD and a few other accessories that I'll wedge in my no-longer-so-lightweight pack to deal with some of those inlet and river crossings and maybe allow me to have a little explore of the odd inlet here and there. I have no experience whatsoever paddling an inflatable like this but have some good tips from researching it online. I'm going to have to learn about how to pick the slack tide/incoming tide so I don't get washed out to sea. Hahahaha...shame though that little floaty sleeve for my PLB got left back in North East Victoria. But I do have a fair bit of sea kayaking experience (long distance travel on rivers) and I have a small sit on top kayak that I love getting out on so... how hard can it be?! If you see a red inflatable litewater dinghy turning in circles on Lake Illawarra (probably the first place I'm going to have a chance to have a go in it) or even sinking in the middle of the Shoalhaven then ... feel free to laugh. Laugh.. and wave!

If anyone has any thoughts on this walking route or wants to share the details of a great little camping spot somewhere along the way that would be great. I'll use this thread to post any specific questions that I might have for the brains trust as I go.

Cheers, Joanne
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Great South Coast Walk

Postby ribuck » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 2:08 am

jobell wrote:... I live in North East Victoria ...

Joanne, when I look at a map of Victoria it doesn't even have a north-east. But good luck with your coastal walk anyway!

Here's a tip for you: there are free hot showers in the Mollymook beach toilet block!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:50 am

ribuck wrote:

Here's a tip for you: there are free hot showers in the Mollymook beach toilet block!

And fantastic coffee and breakfast at the kiosk next door.
To be honest I'd never heard of a Great South Coast Walk but it makes sense that you could link all of the tracks down the coast. A good winter option maybe
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 1:00 pm

The ocean pool at Shellharbour also has free hot showers.
It’s school holidays the 1st two weeks of your walk so some spots may be a bit busier.
I think you’ll be past my spot by the time I’m back from holidays- shame ...
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby jobell » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:06 am

Ooooh free hot showers.... that's the sort of intell that makes me very happy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:09 am

[/quote] A good winter option maybe[/quote]
I am hoping that one benefit of winter walking is the ticks might get nice and sleepy at this time of year. I have had a couple here in the Bay just hanging the washing out.

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:13 am

ribuck wrote:

Joanne, when I look at a map of Victoria it doesn't even have a north-east. But good luck with your coastal walk anyway!

North East VIC...well if you stand on top of Kozzie and look south west I'm down in those valleys at the bottom of the main range. Only in the warmer months though if I can help it. Prob heaps of you drive past my place heading for the mountains.

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 9:41 am

Looks like my pack will come in at 11.5kg base weight including the Klymit LWD, paddle, pfd, extra dry bag and booties - all the paddling gear. It will be under 15kg with a few days of food, 2 litres water and my cooking gas. Not unhappy with that.

PFD wise I found an old PFD in the bottom of my partner's boat that I have cleaned up, unstitched and removed the foam from. I am going to sew in some velcro in the openings and use water bladders in it. Prob not the floatiest but given it's flat water and I will avoid outgoing tide crossings it will be sufficient. I haven't added the velcro yet but it now weighs 122grams. The pics show it as it was before (although don't reflect the lovely mouldy smell) and after I unpicked the bottom seans and took out the foam pieces. My 2l evernew bladders fit in the front two panels nicely. I usually only carry one bladder so will have to add the weight of a second at 43g and I will try out a 2l wine bladder in the rear or perhaps leave it empty. Not strictly "by the book" I know but it will look the goods.

ImageImage

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:15 pm

Lizzy wrote:I think you’ll be past my spot by the time I’m back from holidays- shame ...

Hey Lizzy I love to meet up with other walkers if you are back in time.

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_b » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:15 pm

My partner and I just finished this hike so message me if you have any questions!
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jobell » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 8:09 pm

tom_b wrote:My partner and I just finished this hike so message me if you have any questions!
Thank you Tom. I saw a pic of you guys that was shared on the GSCW Facebook page. Can't say I will do it in 20 days tho... awesome effort!

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 4:36 pm

Looks like a gorgeous walk. Look forward to reading your trip report once you are done. Enjoy!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT