Mooney Mooney Creek to Somersby Falls access?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mooney Mooney Creek to Somersby Falls access?

Postby pmcdonald » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi everyone,

First time post, sometime lurker.

I'd planned to walk from the Girrakool picnic area in Brisbane Water NP up Mooney Mooney Creek to Somersby Falls. My maps indicate a few trails that link up from the old Mooney dam to the Somersby Falls car park. I had earlier read that last section is closed due to access issues on private roads but had subsequently read an accounts of people who had walked it. NPWS believe the only way out is up near the Somersby Store. Is that people's experience?

I'll take a shorter version if it's doable as the last few km's looks rather dull through farmland, but I'm not going to cut over private land or closed tracks to do so.

Cheers,
Paul
pmcdonald
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mooney Mooney Creek to Somersby Falls access?

Postby pmcdonald » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:06 am

Just in case anyone follows in our shoes no, there is no access from the Great North Walk track to Somersby Falls. There are private roads linking the two but NPWS advises they're closed to walkers on account of resident complaints. So you'll need to push on to the GNW exit towards the Somersby Store. We did a car ferry, leaving one here where the walk popped out (https://goo.gl/maps/ECGG9T3SUG22) and starting from the Girrakool Picnic Area.
pmcdonald
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mooney Mooney Creek to Somersby Falls access?

Postby rcaffin » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 9:39 am

There used to be a track, but yahoos must have aggro'd the locals. A pity.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT