Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

School Hols- Burning Mountain Walk July 2018

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 5:08 pm

Okay, so not an epic adventure by any means, but as it is school holidays thought I would post a little report in case others parents were looking for kid friendly walks.

Burning Mountain is a 4km return walk located just outside Wingen NSW, the start/finish is literally right by the New England Hwy.

The trail head is from a rest area with flushing toilets and a tap with non potable water.

The trail heads toward Burning Mountain which is a seam of coal that has been on fire for thousands of years. The track is extremely well maintained and interp signs are thoughtfully placed at intervals along the way. The kids enjoyed stopping and reading them and one was a challenge to see how many things you could 'spot' ie. Kangaroo Thorn, Kangaroos, Crimson Rosella etc which gave them a focus when they were getting a little bit tired of going 'up'. There were also rest spots along the way with benches- the kids utilised them to sprawl out on and huff and puff a bit from the ascent/descent. The walk was not hard by any means, they just enjoy some theatrics- the length was just right for my two aged 8 and 10yo.

The destination was worth the walk and we could see just how hot the fire must be burning below the ground by the heat ripples seen rising from the crack in the surface. We stopped at the little picnic table at the top, had some snacks and carried on. We saw no-one else until we reached Burning Mountain and then spotted another party who had come 'round another route on private property. We only saw them from afar but the other groups' kids and my kids enjoyed coo-eeing out to each other. On the way back to the carpark we passed two seperate family groups, one was a woman with two kids the same age as mine as well as a young baby in a carrier and the other bunch were early teen-aged kids. Was great to see other people out enjoying a gorgeous Winter day.

There was phone reception the whole duration of the walk and I relented and let my 8yo check for Pokemon on the trail at one point, while assuring him there would be none. I was wrong, he was right. He caught two Pokemon and then handed the phone back to me very smugly indeed.

The views were surprisingly nice and I was glad we finally stopped off on our way North to do the walk.

Re: School Hols- Burning Mountain Walk July 2018

Thu 12 Jul, 2018 5:26 pm

Oops wrong section meant to add ot to Trip Reports. Oh well.
Am techno challenged, trying to get pics off phone to add

Fri 13 Jul, 2018 6:12 pm

When I visited, I boiled a billyful of water in the heat rising from one of the cracks. Just because I could.

Sat 14 Jul, 2018 9:39 am

ribuck wrote:When I visited, I boiled a billyful of water in the heat rising from one of the cracks. Just because I could.

I like your style! Fun!
Post a reply