KNP track information sought

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

KNP track information sought

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 5:03 pm

The answers to the following are probably on the forum but I cannot find them and need current information. From north to south.
1 Approaching Happys Hut from the north it appears that the hill from the AAWT is scrubby but not too bad, no track. Is this correct?

2 Happy Jacks Road to Boo Bee Hut to Mackays Hut is reasonably straightforward, yes?

3 SW of O'Keefes Hut is a rain gauge where a track used to go up Jagungal. My understanding is that the track is somewhat overgrown. Going north from the summit the track or route may be hard to find. I cannot recall if the track sticks to the faint ridge nearly due south of the rain gauge or veers east towards the creek to come out at the bushline in the middle of the big valley. Advice on these points is sought.

4 From the Rolling Ground, is it possible to go south to Guthega Pondage and cross the dam? Is there a track?

5 Mount Tate has a lot of tracks, quite confusing. Is there a track or route due south on Tate East Ridge to the Snowy River, and where is this best crossed? It looks like the best way is to cross the smaller Ponds Creek then go over the footbridge.

6 From this bridge, is there a viable way to the Summit Road, along Spencers Creek or elsewhere? I recall unfriendly scrub.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: KNP track information sought

Postby rcaffin » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 5:39 pm

1 Yes
2 Yes, nice country
3 Overgrown - beyond that I cannot say
4 Yes, down narrow spur to dam
5 Well, sort of. There is a track near the end of the spur which goes down what used to be a ski tow line to the creek to near the dam.
6 Yes - there are some pole lines from Blue Cow Terminal

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 11:56 am

Lophophaps wrote:3 SW of O'Keefes Hut is a rain gauge where a track used to go up Jagungal. My understanding is that the track is somewhat overgrown. Going north from the summit the track or route may be hard to find. I cannot recall if the track sticks to the faint ridge nearly due south of the rain gauge or veers east towards the creek to come out at the bushline in the middle of the big valley. Advice on these points is sought.

Not sure about the old track but the ridge, while it can be a bit challenging in spots, can be followed. Given how overgrown the lower stretch of the track is, it might be easier to do so and not worry about where the track went.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks. Your advice is how I recall it, although the Jagungal memory is very faded. Nearly all my trips have been up and/or down from the baby Tumut River, the big rocky ampitheatre to the south, or the lovely Toolong Range.

One more question. Coming off South Rams Read region there's a route or track to a good campsite at a about 1780 metres. From here it's about a kilometre SE to Dead Horse Gap. There's a high point on the ridge at about 2040 metres. Is this South Rams Head or is SRH a bump to the SW at 1951 metres? From the Rams Read region there's a broad saddle at about 122595. I say about as my maps are old and the datum has been moved. My vague recollection is that the route or maybe track is on the SE side of the 2040 bump then down to the creek campsite. Is this correct and is there a track or pad for any of this?

The riskiest part may be from where the route meets the road 500 metres downhill to the start of the Thredbo walking track.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby johnw » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 2:54 pm

Lophophaps wrote:One more question. Coming off South Rams Read region there's a route or track to a good campsite at a about 1780 metres. From here it's about a kilometre SE to Dead Horse Gap. There's a high point on the ridge at about 2040 metres. Is this South Rams Head or is SRH a bump to the SW at 1951 metres? From the Rams Read region there's a broad saddle at about 122595. I say about as my maps are old and the datum has been moved. My vague recollection is that the route or maybe track is on the SE side of the 2040 bump then down to the creek campsite. Is this correct and is there a track or pad for any of this?

This took me several visits over many years to finally figure out. Some of the maps are wrongly labelled, which doesn't help.
The 2040 metre peak is the Southerly Rams Head (an informal name).
The 1951 metre bump about 1km or so further down the ridge is South Rams Head.
Both have trigs at the high point. The taller peak being the more impressive.
The route from/to DHG to either peak can be vague in places, IMHO you are better to treat it as trackless but use the pad where it is easiest to follow. Elsewhere pick your own route (at least that is what seems to work for me). The walking is not difficult as you can generally avoid any significant scrub, and the pad is pretty clear and obvious lower down.

Lophophaps wrote:The riskiest part may be from where the route meets the road 500 metres downhill to the start of the Thredbo walking track.
Not really, I have done it once or twice and don't recall any issue.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 5:06 pm

I think he means crossing the road. I can sympathise with that.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 11:00 am

north-north-west wrote:I think he means crossing the road. I can sympathise with that.

Good point, could be, though I don't think he is taking a car? If so wouldn't need to cross there.
I thought he meant using the Thredbo River track to walk into the village. I've done that to make a loop through the Rams Heads.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 9:00 am

johnw wrote:I thought he meant using the Thredbo River track to walk into the village. I've done that to make a loop through the Rams Heads.

Maybe he's concerned about scaring all the tourists with the wild and woolly "been out bush for a fortnight" look he'll have by then. Again, I can sympathise.

Yeah, it's a great little loop. Find a free carparking spot in Thredbo (down near the golf course, although it's probably no longer possible), River Track, up either via the DHG Track or following pads up over the Ramsheads, Kosciuszko, down the metal walkway and follow either the nature trail, the MTB tracks or the chairlift cutting back down. The chairlift line is the quickest (and steepest), and you can find the most interesting things there. Skis, keys, gloves, sunnies, jackets, shoes, underwear . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 10:32 am

north-north-west wrote:
johnw wrote:I thought he meant using the Thredbo River track to walk into the village. I've done that to make a loop through the Rams Heads.

Maybe he's concerned about scaring all the tourists with the wild and woolly "been out bush for a fortnight" look he'll have by then. Again, I can sympathise.

Yeah, it's a great little loop. Find a free carparking spot in Thredbo (down near the golf course, although it's probably no longer possible), River Track, up either via the DHG Track or following pads up over the Ramsheads, Kosciuszko, down the metal walkway and follow either the nature trail, the MTB tracks or the chairlift cutting back down. The chairlift line is the quickest (and steepest), and you can find the most interesting things there. Skis, keys, gloves, sunnies, jackets, shoes, underwear . . .

north-north-west wrote:underwear . . .
:shock:

It can be a challenge finding parking, especially Dec/Jan when I tend to visit, but can usually squeeze in somewhere if you don't mind a bit of extra walking. Yes, some lovely walking and the masses tend to ride the chairlift and stick to the walkway, leaving the best bits for the rest of us. I don't mind using nature track but the MTB trails and walking under the chairlift would be terrifying at that time of year (for reasons you've made clear :lol:). My favoured loop is from DHG to SRH then Southerly RH, CRH, NRH, Kosci walkway and return down the DHG track. That avoids the parking issue and the most of the crowds except the walkway section.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for your advice. I walked on the road from DHG to the bridge at the start of the Thredbo walking track. Cars came a bit close. Unless there's a wider shoulder on the south side I'll stay on the north side. The riskiest highway crossing i've done was in the Blue Mountains, walking from the rail at Mount Victoria to the Victoria Falls Road. Blind corner and traffic at about 80 km/h in both directions - yikes! I will not have a car at KNP.

Scaring the tourists is always possible. What's not to like?
Bush dress.jpg
Bush dress.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 7941 times

Big pack.jpg
Big pack.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 7941 times

A few years ago at Pretty Plain Hut I found the hut empty and some items left to dry by the fireplace. Sadly, she did not return.
Undies S.jpg
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby kanangra » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 6:08 pm

As to Q2 I recommend bashing up behind Boobee Hut to pick up the doubtful Gap track. This is very good going in deed.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 7:21 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Thanks for your advice. I walked on the road from DHG to the bridge at the start of the Thredbo walking track. Cars came a bit close. Unless there's a wider shoulder on the south side I'll stay on the north side. The riskiest highway crossing i've done was in the Blue Mountains, walking from the rail at Mount Victoria to the Victoria Falls Road. Blind corner and traffic at about 80 km/h in both directions - yikes! I will not have a car at KNP.

Scaring the tourists is always possible. What's not to like?
Bush dress.jpg

Big pack.jpg

A few years ago at Pretty Plain Hut I found the hut empty and some items left to dry by the fireplace. Sadly, she did not return.
Undies S.jpg

Classic mate!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks. Doubtful Gap was always an option. I'll see how the weather goes. Another unfortunate aspect of the Pretty Plain Hut clothing is that they were too small for me. Life is cruel.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to New South Wales & ACT