Walker lost (now found) Katoomba to Ruined Castle Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walker lost (now found) Katoomba to Ruined Castle Walk

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 2:02 pm

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/czech-hiker ... -mountains

This fellow lost his way along the Katoomba to Ruined Castle route it appears. Was found in bushland just after lunchtime the following day after spending a very chilly night in the bush.

I haven’t been down that way since the solitary burn. Im wondering if the fire has obscured the track and opened up new areas for walkers to accidently wander into? (that pre burn were inaccessible due to the dense undergrowth) Though I didn’t think the burn went as far as ruined castle?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walker lost (now found) Katoomba to Ruined Castle Walk

Postby Lindsay » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 3:13 pm

Great result. Well done to the hotel/hostel staff who noticed he had not returned and raised the alarm.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lith » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 4:14 pm

Interesting as the ruined castle walk to me seems extremely well defined and quite obvious where to go. I could see perhaps losing your way coming down from the castle on the solitary side but even then I don't see how you'd get completely lost. It's either a very steep drop into cedar valley which is obviously not the correct path or some vague paths that head the opposite way but then you'd eventually come across the ruined castle track again anyway.

The burn hasn't come that far back, it only starts at the base of the knife edge scramble. The article says that he was found near the ruined castle formation itself, perhaps he was quite close to the track but decided it was best to not move since he was lost. I hope incidents like this don't cause NPWS to add anything to these walks. I don't want to see signs that say "you are going the right way" 15 years down the line.
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 11:26 pm

Indeed, it’s a very well defined route. The young tourist must have went exploring than a simple there and back trip.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT