Carlon Head / Tarros Ladder loop from Dunphy's Camp

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Carlon Head / Tarros Ladder loop from Dunphy's Camp

Postby WildElly » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:53 am

Hi, I'm planning on doing the Tarros/Carlon Chains loop from Dunphy's camping area and would prefer to be descending Carlon Chains, this would involve doing Tom Brennans track notes in reverse
http://bushwalkingnsw.com/walk.php?nid=732
Has anyone attempted this and can you share thoughts on difficulty
WildElly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Carlon Head / Tarros Ladder loop from Dunphy's Camp

Postby jonnosan » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 1:52 pm

I have done Carlon head in both directions, although at least one more rung had snapped off on the main cliff on Carlon head between my first trip (descending) and 2nd trip (ascending). Even with that extra rung being present on the trip down, it was a fair bit easier going up then down.

So unless you are bringing abseil gear as a 'plan B' for Carlon head then I would strongly recommend going up Carlon Chains not down, especially if you are starting at Dunphy's since you will be at the critical decision point early in the day, when you have plenty of time and energy to back track, so can judge the crux on it's merits, not be forced to push on.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 2:15 pm

jonnosan wrote:So unless you are bringing abseil gear as a 'plan B' for Carlon head then I would strongly recommend going up Carlon Chains not down, especially if you are starting at Dunphy's since you will be at the critical decision point early in the day, when you have plenty of time and energy to back track, so can judge the crux on it's merits, not be forced to push on.

Personally I haven't done Carlon as the exposure is beyond my tolerance level. But I just asked my son, who has climbed it. He's out canyoning and abseiling most weekends and said the only way he'd consider descending would be to abseil it.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jonnosan » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 2:22 pm

BTW I should also add, the above trips were in 2011 (descent) and 2014 (ascent), it will only have gotten worse since then. And while I said going up was safer relative to going down, I definitely wouldn't call it safe. Personally I think there are much better trips to do starting from Dunphys (e.g. down Carlon Creek and up Bellbird Ridge), and if you just want some blue mountains rough track scrambling action, doing say gladstone pass/lindemans pass/ copeland pass would be more fun and safer.
jonnosan

Postby johnw » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 2:36 pm

jonnosan wrote:BTW I should also add, the above trips were in 2011 (descent) and 2014 (ascent), it will only have gotten worse since then.

Son did it about 12 months ago I think. He said the chains themselves were rusted although solid. However some play/looseness was evident at the anchor points - his view is that they are not especially safe.

jonnosan wrote:Personally I think there are much better trips to do starting from Dunphys (e.g. down Carlon Creek and up Bellbird Ridge)

I must plan to get back there. Another nice (quick) one is down Carlon Creek then up Pots and Pans spur, or via Ironmonger for a longer walk.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 12:16 am

Note that it is Mansons Chains at Carlons Head (not Carlons Chains). I recently went up the chains and thought it much the same as it was in the 1970's when I first did it. There are certainly no major changes - perhaps a spike or two has fallen out? Its often easier when climbing to go up rather than down, but I really don't think there is much difference here - both up and down are fairly easy - but you do need to be careful.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WildElly » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 1:37 am

Thank you all for the advise,it's very much appreciated. The plan is to bring abseil gear if choose the decent.
WildElly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 6:19 pm

I was last at Mansons Ladders ( ;) ) in 2014. I wrote a fairly detailed report on the trip, including the state of the spikes and chains. At least 2 rungs are gone from when I first visited in 2006.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17139
There's also some history on the various names in that thread.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WildElly » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:39 pm

Just an update on this trip, on the 9th Sept 2018 we ascended Tarros Ladder and descended Mansons Ladder. The chains on Carlon Head were in good form, however the rungs were a little sketchy and in my opinion the spikes were unreliable with some visibly missing and lose. We opted to use a safety line and harness on the second pitch.
WildElly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT