GNW Somersby- Yarramalong-Waratah creek

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

GNW Somersby- Yarramalong-Waratah creek

Postby roopass » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 7:36 am

Great section hike , next sectionYarramalong-Watagan creek, anyone have comments about this section or surprises I should know about :)
Attachments
217BA12F-1AF4-4298-B589-F7DF5AAB51A3.png
Stringybark point campsite
295496BB-E155-4DCE-A31C-55E37222E918.png
Crossing Ourimbah creek
89B29B18-A589-4FAD-827B-2EEF511169C8.png
Found shelter from the rain:)
3C999A38-65F8-4750-B5EC-2380E750DB5D.png
Last stretch to Yarramalong
04F52C1A-EDB8-416E-BC44-3BCF0489E5C8.png
Aussie Wilderness :)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: GNW Somersby- Yarramalong-Waratah creek

Postby RainbowSpirit » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 8:08 am

From Yarramalong you will have an 11km road walk on mostly sealed roads, then a short section of dirt road to the Cedar Trackhead. From there the track wanders downhill on an easy track before a steep winding climb up a single track to a firetrail that continues uphill to Walkers Rest campsite. There is a water tank there that had water in it when I was there in late September.

From there it is an undulating walk along more firetrails to another small campsite that has a water tank, after more firetrails you will descend down a single track towards the Basin campsite. I didn't walk down to the Basin campsite, but kept on towards the next campsite. I did drive to the Basin campsite whilst making a resupply drop in the area a few weeks before my walk, and it is one of the best campsites along the GNW with lots of grassed areas, fire pits, a tank, and a toilet.

After the Basin campsite the path follows more single tracks crossing a few creeks including Wollombi creek and ends with a stiff firetrail climb before you once again drop down on some single tracks towards the side track to Mt Warrawolong, I bypassed the chance to add more climbing up to the tower :) and continued towards the Wattagan Creek campsite, here the Wildwalks directions I was using became confusing, and I ended up camping before the steep single track descent to the campsite. As you will be finishing your section walk here, be aware that access by vehicles is only available to the Wattagan Creek campsite from the west, as a bridge to the east has been washed away. I found out this the hard way when I was searching for spots to drop off a resupply container...
RainbowSpirit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby roopass » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 5:27 am

Tks For the well informed description RS, looking forward to camping at the Basin:),
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 9:36 pm

That first photo looks like it would have been teeming with leeches!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby roopass » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 12:50 pm

Haha, yeah Ribuck , I thought it was going to be leech nightmare , but it wasn’t to bad
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT