Bob Turners Track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bob Turners Track

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 10:44 pm

I received some interesting correspondence from Ian Harvey, regarding the naming and history of Bob Turners Track to the Colo River, at Hungryway Creek.

The track was a restoration in 1970-71 of a pack horse track constructed by George Townsend (sometimes spelled "Townshend"), as part of the survey for his railway to cross the Blue Mountains by going up the Colo River.

Ian writes:
"Unfortunately my photos etc. of my work with Bob in uncovering this track were destroyed in my garage fire on 13 December 2015 at our property at McGraths Hill. Sadly I lost everything, my archives & including my two classic cars. However I was fortunate to find a copy of this article I was asked to write for the National Parks Association - Blue Mountains Branch."

The article, written in 1991, is attached.
Bob Turner Track 1991.pdf
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 340 times

Ian also writes:
"As I recall Bob Buck & the late federal politician Bill Wentworth (a personal friend of Bob's) were instrumental in having the track named after Bob when the Wollemi National Park was gazetted in 1979."

Robert Sutherland ("Bob") Turner, was also mayor of Ku-ring-gai Council from 13 December 1968 – 9 December 1970.

Hopefully this information is of interest
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bob Turners Track

Postby puredingo » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks mate, very interesting. I haven't been on this track but will do over summer, even more interesting knowing some of the history behind it.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT