Blue Mountains Hiking Suggestions

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blue Mountains Hiking Suggestions

Postby emiliobeilio » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi All,

my name's Emma. I'm heading to the Blue Mountains at the end of Jan for a few days an intending to base myself in Katoomba and do a day hike and hopefully Canyoning but my main venture is to do a multi day hike.

I am fit and have a lot of multi day hiking experience so am all set when it comes to gear, food, etc but being from Melbourne I don't know the area that well and am looking for some advice on good 2-3 day hikes.

I will most likely be hiking on my own so would like a hike that has clear trails and water accessibility. A circuit would be preferable but otherwise my plan is to catch a taxi/bus at the other end.

So if anyone out there can give some tips on multi day hikes near Katoomba with some beautiful Blue Mountains scenery.

Also what is the public transport situation like in the region?

Thanks,
Emma
emiliobeilio
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Blue Mountains Hiking Suggestions

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi Emma,

this thread should help. Lots of suggestions for multi day hikes in the blue mountains area.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26299

some highlights if your new to the area and want public transport accesible.

Mount Solitary Traverse
Mount Victoria to Blackheath.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby davidf » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 10:53 am

For public transport mt vic to blackheath and solitary traverse as above. Also wollengambe crater from bell is a very easy but enjoyable day walk or overnighter if you like having a poke around, explore and swim
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 7:32 am

Wollangambe Crater is lovely spot for an short overnighter, but you asked for "clear trails" and part of that route is through pagoda country without clear trails.

For routes with tracks, you can't beat the two mentioned above (Grose Valley and Mt Solitary).

(1) Train to Mt Victoria, taxi or fire trail bash to Victoria Falls lookout then down the track past the waterfall, down the creek, and turn right into the Grose Valley. Camp at Acacia Flat, then the next day ascend via Junction Rock and Govetts Leap falls, then walk into Blackheath for the train. Done by locals in two days, but if you're not familiar with Blue Mountains terrain and navigation it might be better to do it in 3 days.

(2) Train to Katoomba, down the Golden Stairs, turn right and follow the clear track. Side trip up to Ruined Castle, camp at the water tank shelter a little way past the Ruined Castle junction. Next day up a straightforward scramble onto Mt Solitary, cross it, do the steep descent off its eastern end, and camp at the river (various options), third day walk out to Katoomba, Leura or Wentworth Falls station (various options).

The paragraphs above are not navigation instructions, but they should be just enough to help you locate descriptions of those walks on the web or in books, or to plan them out on a map.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby iandsmith » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 3:59 pm

There's an excellent book out on Blue Mountain walks. It's available at National Parks offices. I've bought two of them and found them extremely useful.
It has both single and multi-day walks.
Cheers, and have a good time, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT