Western start of the Great North Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western start of the Great North Walk

Postby davidmorr » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 6:13 pm

When it was originally planned, there was to be a western start to the Great North Walk. It would begin from Parramatta Park, and follow Darling Mills Creek, then Cumberland State Forest to Mt Wilberforce and on to Jungo and Thornleigh, about 16km. I actually walked it in 1992, a fairly interesting walk in many ways.

I worked out where to go from the GNW book published at the time, but unfortunately it is stored away somewhere. The set of strip maps never included this part of the walk.

Now while the GNW still exists, albeit a bit neglected in many places, I was wondering whether the western start ever got properly signposted and whether it is still navigable nowadays. It wasn't when I did it, but many parts were like that then. Does anyone know?

(Postscript: We started from the gate at Parramatta Park and set off on what we thought was the route. It was quite interesting with historical sites and an old cemetery. After 90 minutes, we found ourselves back and the gate. Oops! So then we had lunch and set off again the right way!)
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Western start of the Great North Walk

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 9:39 am

I remember reading something about a western Sydney multi-day walk. The Great River walk. 570km or so

Not sure if this is the same one?

There was quite alot of work done at one stage with councils becoming involved. Penrith council actually implemented part of it..
The planning work on the full route was mainly done in the early 2000s and it seems not much happened after that.

There are a few references online.

....larger walk which will cover 570km, linking the river's [Hawkesbury-Nepean River] mouth at Broken Bay to its headwaters at Lake Bathurst, south of Goulburn. Council, with the NSW government, has been extending the path along the river banks as it passes through Emu Plains. In future, the walk will be extended towards Penrith Lakes and then on to Windsor, Wisemans Ferry and Berowra.

https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/faci ... river-walk

Also some detailed information from Sydney bushwalkers who were involved in walking the entire route to confirm it was viable. More on page 6 of the linked magazine.
http://www.sbw.org.au/images/documents/ ... gazine.pdf
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Western start of the Great North Walk

Postby davidmorr » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 11:16 am

wildwanderer wrote:I remember reading something about a western Sydney multi-day walk. The Great River walk. 570km or so

Not sure if this is the same one?
Different walk. This was a part of the GNW Bicentennial project. But thanks for the tip about the GRW.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT