Snowies Iconic Walk review

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowies Iconic Walk review

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 3:43 pm

The Snowies Iconic Walk and the Review of Environmental Factors has been released for public comment. The documents are available for viewing on the DPIE website at
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/consult
and at the following locations:
NPWS Snowy Region Visitor Centre, 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne
NPWS Tumut Region Visitor Centre, The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut
NPWS office, 11 Farrer Place, Queanbeyan

You are invited to make a written submission on the Review of Environmental Factors and associated documents by 2 September 2019.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Snowies Iconic Walk review

Postby rcaffin » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 7:28 pm

I have read through ONE of the Reports on that web site, prepared by an environmental company called Biosys. I suspect they were paid according to the number of kilograms the report weighed.

The original route seems to have been shot down by all the environmental threats, but they continue. Amazing persistence.
What I would like to know is just which senior politician is pushing this concept.

I have some real doubts as to whether the project is affordable, or whether many people would use it. I note there is a big final-day stage walking down the mountainside from Perisher to Bullocks Flat (a rather large height change): I wonder just how many tourists might walk this stage, compared to how many might take the train down.

Hum....
Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 7:31 pm

rcaffin wrote:I have some real doubts as to whether the project is affordable, or whether many people would use it. I note there is a big final-day stage walking down the mountainside from Perisher to Bullocks Flat (a rather large height change): I wonder just how many tourists might walk this stage, compared to how many might take the train down.

I like trains. Not so much when they are in tunnels.
Warin

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 10:21 pm

I kind of like the idea of a Bullocks Flat escape route. ATM you only have Thredbo and Charlottes.

The place is already being loved to death so the more you can keep people on track, the better. And the population is booming.

I'd like to take a closer look next week but if it's the same plan that was put forward a couple on months ago, I'm basically in favour of it. Government seems hell bent on mass immigrating. If you can't stop it, best you prepare for it and be grateful you enjoyed the way it was, much like those before us.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf

Postby LachlanB » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 12:05 pm

Is there actually a map of the walk available anywhere? Maybe I was just digging thru the wrong docs, but I couldn't find anything official..
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 1:04 pm

If you go to the government web site in the first posting, click on the Snowies Iconic walk URL, and scroll down until you find some URLs, the first one 'Snowies Iconic Walk ...' (35 MB) has full maps. Nice hi-res maps too.

URL is: https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/-/me ... 979241553D
which is a ridiculous length for a URL.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin

Postby crollsurf » Tue 13 Aug, 2019 2:36 pm

That doc is the same but different to what I read a short while back, fills in the gaps and paints a bigger picture.

I still like the idea of an iconic walk but as I'm reading and looking at the maps, I'm thinking why would you send the track down to Bullocks Flat? Why not traverse back across to Thredbo. Then it dawned on me, this isn't an Iconic Walk, this is just a way for the resorts (Crackenback in the case of Bullocks Flat) to get the public to pay for tourism infrastructure so they can make more money. Whats the bet they'll then ban camping from that whole area.

Happy the resorts pay for it but not sure why we, the taxpayers should have to stump up even 1 cent for it.
crollsurf

Postby rcaffin » Wed 21 Aug, 2019 5:40 pm

Happy the resorts pay for it but not sure why we, the taxpayers should have to stump up even 1 cent for it.
IF true, doesn't that violate the ban on any further commercial development in any Park?
But then, since when did any politician pay any attention to any Laws when there is profit in view?

Whats the bet they'll then ban camping from that whole area.
Chuckle: they could try ... and fail very publicly.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin

Return to New South Wales & ACT