Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Swimming Holes around Newcastle, Hunter, Myall Lakes...?

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello,

I’m currently living in Sydney and love bushwalking and exploring & cooling off in fresh water swimming holes. There is quite a few great water holes in the Sydney region especially Blue Mountains and South of Sydney however I will be moving to Port Stephens area and would love to find some great freshwater swimming holes around the Newcastle, Hunter, Myall Lakes area. Obviously I’m all sorted for salt water swimming but now I just need to find some great walking tracks and swimming spots in the bush.

I don’t mind a bit of a drive - within an hour give or take is great and 2 hours is ok for a day trip but I’m open to hearing any recommendations.

I look forward to hearing from fellow bush walkers.
Many thanks!

Re: Swimming Holes around Newcastle, Hunter, Myall Lakes...?

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 2:08 pm

I'll start!

Try 'Ladies Well' , on the Allyn River, north of Gresford.

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 2:30 pm

NickH wrote:I'll start!

Thanks! That is the only one I kept finding in my google searches and it does looks good from the photos. I look forward to exploring there. That fits the 2 hour drive but I am hoping to also find some closer ones if they are out there.

Many thanks!

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:25 pm

Don't know if this helps of not but the book "Wild Swimming Sydney Australia" by Sally Tertini and Steve Pollard is supposed to cover the regions of the Central Coast and Newcastle.

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 11:13 pm

Snooze wrote:Don't know if this helps of not but the book "Wild Swimming Sydney Australia" by Sally Tertini and Steve Pollard is supposed to cover the regions of the Central Coast and Newcastle.

Great suggestion - thanks! Unfortunately that book is lacking freshwater pools around Newcastle & Central Coast.

I actually have that book and it has great spots listed in and around Sydney. In fact every region is well covered when it comes to freshwater pools with the exception of Newcastle & Central Coast which only covers ocean baths/pools, beaches and only just the one freshwater bush pool which is located in Popran National Park (between Lower Mangrove & Glenworth Valley) so it is actually closer to Sydney than Newcastle.

There probably just isn’t as many in the region but I would really love to find some... surely some of the small NP and forests around central coast have some hidden and lesser known gems!

I really appreciate the replies and hope to discover some locations!
Thanks again!

Mon 26 Aug, 2019 7:59 pm

Probably a bit far but there are a few hidden gems in Werrikimbe and Willi Willi NP. Watch out for the weaponised bogans in the state forest surrounding though

Tue 27 Aug, 2019 12:53 pm

mandragara wrote:Probably a bit far but there are a few hidden gems in Werrikimbe and Willi Willi NP. Watch out for the weaponised bogans in the state forest surrounding though

Thanks! Yes unfortunately they are a bit far but I will definitely keep them on my list and hopefully someday I can explore them when I’m up that way.

Thanks for the warning... I will keep away from the bogans, especially the weaponised ones!!!

Thu 29 Aug, 2019 9:00 pm

I did a bit of an ask around of some Central Coast/Hunter bushwalkers I know and this is what they came up with:-

Kariong Falls Brisbane Waters NP
Rocky Waterholes on Tank Ck Brisbane Waters NP
Narara Railway Dams
Somersby Falls downstream of the Waterfall - there are signs here about jumping off.
Emerald Pool in Popran NP - this picture was taken today.

Emerald Pool.jpg
Emerald Pool.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 14307 times

Gap Creek Falls in Watagan NP - needs some rain as its very dry at the moment.

Further north there is Rocky Crossing and Junction Pools in Barrington Tops National Park.
various Spots on the Manning River
Wallis/Smiths and Myall Lakes.

hope this helps.

Fri 30 Aug, 2019 11:32 am

Bron wrote:I did a bit of an ask around of some Central Coast/Hunter bushwalkers I know and this is what they came up with:-

Excellent! Great list & I look forward to exploring them. Many thanks for taking the time to ask around, very much appreciated!

Sat 07 Sep, 2019 10:11 pm

bush-walk-swim wrote:
NickH wrote:I'll start!

Thanks! That is the only one I kept finding in my google searches and it does looks good from the photos. I look forward to exploring there. That fits the 2 hour drive but I am hoping to also find some closer ones if they are out there.

Many thanks!

A very popular swimming hole, us locals to the area tend to avoid Ladies Well due the beer swilling, loud music playing masses that can congregate there, it is a pretty spot to be fair.
I have a few other pretty spots in that general area, if you feel like making the drive up, PM me and I will be happy to share my hot (should that be cool?) tips.
Post a reply