Kanuka Brook: Blue Paint Vandalism :(

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kanuka Brook: Blue Paint Vandalism :(

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 24 Sep, 2019 8:21 pm

Spent Sunday exploring Kanuka Brook in the lower blue mountains and was dismayed to find blue paint marking the route from Duck pond up to redhand firetrail. The route is covered in blue.. Its every 5-10 metres. On every handy rock and tree.

This one of the few remaining wild flowing creeks in the lower blue mountains, was such a shame to see.

Its not a track, there is a comes and goes barely there foot pad (if that) and the removal of the opportunity to find my own way greatly reduced my enjoyment and the perception of wilderness.

There is no need for route markers.. All you need to do is follow the creek. The one place they could be helpful is at the turnoff up to redhand firetrail. And a sensible person has nailed a couple of blue markers to a tree. Of course the blue paint person even added more paint to this area as well.

If you know the person that is doing this.. please have a word to them.

EDIT. Just noticed someone else has posted about this about 10 months ago. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 08#p364851

blue2.jpg

blue1.jpg

kanuka brook.jpg
Beauty of Kanuka Brook.

On another subject.
I did notice that Kanuka brook and several other creeks in the Glenbrook area had alot of foam in them at points where the water became stagnated/damed (often about 20 metres down from a mini waterfall/rapid.) While I think the airation contributed, I dont often see this much foamy water in blue mountain creeks.

Was suprised to find it in Kanuka brook especially as there is nothing in the catchment. Its a reasonably wild creek. Does anyone know what causes this? I did drink from it at several points. One down stream with a tablet, another up near the source (without a tablet) both times the water in my bottle was crystal clear and tasted fine. Ive read that it can be a naturaly occuring but also could be chemical :(

foam.jpg
Foam in Kanuka Brook
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kanuka Brook: Blue Paint Vandalism :(

Postby michael_p » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 8:56 am

My understanding is that the foam is surfactants from leaves, branches etc that have leached into the water. During times of low flow the surfactants may accumulate in puddles and then be flushed out after rain.

Those blue markings are just disgusting. Makes me angry when I come across stuff like that.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 9:18 am

michael_p wrote:My understanding is that the foam is surfactants from leaves, branches etc that have leached into the water. During times of low flow the surfactants may accumulate in puddles and then be flushed out after rain.
Cheers,
Michael.

Thanks. That is what I was hoping.

Especially considering I drank 4 litres of it :shock:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Paint on track to Burra Korrain Head

Postby Bushgirl » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi WW
We recently spent most of a walk from Burramoko Trail (Ridgewell Rd Blackheath) to Burra Korrain Head trying to scrape paint markings off trees and rocks, same at Deep Pass. Track marking is never OK from my point of view - unless its a tourist walk such as around Echo Pt etc, when NPWS does it. Dont get me started on rock cairns and fire rings....
Bushgirl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rcaffin » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 2:39 pm

Blue marks: you may find that the NPWS would like to 'speak' to the perpetrators of this vandalism. Possibly even prosecute them, as what they have done is highly illegal.

I have seen similar done in the past by organisers of a school race or similar. Also tags and ribbons on every tree. Cretins.

That foam looks like natural surfactants from tree leaves to me. It happens. If I'm correct, it is not harmful.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 2:59 pm

rcaffin wrote:Cretins.

+1, what sort of mindless individual does this? Without wanting to make things worse how difficult would it be to remove the blue paint? e.g. could it be scoured from rock surfaces with a wire brush or similar, acknowledging it would still be marked but may recover sooner (and their cretinous handiwork destroyed)?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 6:17 pm

This webpage provides a bit of info on what is needed to remove paint without damaging the surface. https://www.graffitieaters.com.au/graff ... -services/

Seems they use a special solvent to loosen the paint then use high pressure water to rinse it off.

However the idea of using solvent in a National Park next to a stream doesn't sound very appealing. Plus is a rugged area so hauling in a water blaster would be very difficult with out needing to clear river scrub as you proceded up the creek.

Looking at the previous thread on this issue. I'n the USA they have a special laser that softens the paint and allows it to be more easily removed without solvents. No idea if this tech is available in Australia or works on sand stone though. Details https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 6:37 pm

Possibly burning it in place is the simplest to hasten its end? Of course not on a tree! A propane touch should be enough. It would certainly lessen the visual impact.

Of course you could just put rocks over the top?

For the trees .. some more paint of a shade matching the bark?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:27 am

Even with the paint removed, the unknown perpetrator could possibly just come along again with their blue paint. It just seems so unnecessary and ugly.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 12:27 pm

I think it needs to be said prominently on the parks website and trackhead signs that route marking with paint and tape is illegal and offenders will be prosecuted.

Currently I suspect most painters and tapers don't think they are doing anything wrong. They believe they are being helpful and preventing others from becoming lost. Likely the vast majority are upstanding law abiding citizens.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bush-walk-swim » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 10:10 pm

I have seen this blue paint vandalism in Royal National Park as well. :(
Have you reported it to National Parks for what it’s worth?
bush-walk-swim
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT