Week long walk in Snowys/Alps

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Week long walk in Snowys/Alps

Postby kosta » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 8:31 am

Hi,
I'm looking for a multi-day walk idea in the Snowy Mountains or Australian Alps. I'm aiming for something around the 5-7 day range.

No need for huts and I'm also happy with off-track walking if necessary. We only have one car, so we either have to come back to where we started or we need some sort of public transport to transfer between the trail heads.

Since I haven't walked much in the area, it would be great to get some ideas for where to go.

Cheers,
Kosta
kosta
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Week long walk in Snowys/Alps

Postby GBW » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 9:07 am

Kiandra to Thredbo along the AAWT although transport could be difficult. Or base yourself at Round Mountain and explore Jagungal.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 9:18 am

Here is a very rough route, it is not exact. In my opinion planning is part of the fun and also part of being safe.

You didn't mention what kind of distance you would like to cover each day. That always helps.

Anyway, I think something like this is the winner - http://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-36.518 ... 5933375077

Day 1 (1/2 day) - 13km - Dead Horse Gap to Wilkinson creek Valley - DHG track / Off track
Day 2 – 25km - Wilkinson Creek Valley to Mt Gungartan - Main Range track and off track
Day 3 – 22km - Gungartan to Mt Jagungal - Off track via the Brassy's
Day 4 – 18km - Mt Jagungal to Dicky Cooper Bogong - Off track via Kerries Ridge
Day 5 – 25km - Dicky Cooper Bogong to Mt Stillwell - Off track via Rolling Grounds and coming off Guthega Spur/trig
Day 6 – 12km - Mt Stillwell to Dead Horse Gap - Off track and DHG track

Let me know if you have any questions.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 12:39 pm

Public transport is not available for much of the Snowy Mountains. Starting from Round Mountain is a more remote trip than from Thredbo or Guthega Power Station, often called Munyang. It costs to park near Thredbo, but not at Round Mountain, at least last time I checked. You have not said how far you want to go each day. The following is a bit easier than Zapruda's trip, which is quite a good one. Distances and times are approximate.

1 Round Mountain, Farm Ridge, Farm Ridge Hut site. One river crossing, should be easy. This is a short day as I do not know what time you will start. 12 kilometres, 5 hours
2 East to Doubtful Creek, then south to Cesjacks Hut. This day is off track, open and mainly no trees after 2 kilometres. 7 kilometres, 3 hours. Side trip to Jagungal, 14 kilometres return, 6 hours.
3 South past the Brassys to Tin Hut and Gungartan. All off tracks. 17 kilometres, 8 hours.
4 Schlink Pass, possible side trip west to Dicky Cooper Bogong (2 hours return), Schlink Hilton, Valentine Hut. From here go down the falls, which may be scrubby) or follow the AAWT, ending up at Grey Mare Hut. A few river crossings, some swift. 15 kilometres, 7 hours.
5 Fire trail, SMC Hut, camp on the Toolong Range. All on vehicle tracks, one small river crossing 14 kilometres, 5 hours.
6 Fire trail to Round Mountain car park. 7 kilometres, 2 hours.
Add side trips as you wish. Allow one day for bad weather.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 1:21 pm

I was going to suggest something very similar to what Lops has put forward. Thanks for saving me the trouble, mate.

Starting and finishing at Round Mtn has the advantage of not having to pay for parking (unless they''ve changed the system?). An alternative route from Round is along the Fifteen Mile and down to Happy Jacks Pondage, then south around Wuthering Heights and over Far Bald to Doubtful Creek. Bit of road walking either side of the river crossing unless you're feeling adventurous enough to scrub bash the low sides, but as it's an MVO you won't be dodging traffic. Optional detour via Boobee Hut. Can go directly from just south of Doubtful Creek along Farm Ridge to Jackys Lookout and Jagungal Saddle, and do a sidetrip to Jagungal from there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GBW » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 2:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:I was going to suggest something very similar to what Lops has put forward. Thanks for saving me the trouble, mate.

And me (at 4 wpm).
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 3:39 pm

GBW wrote:And me (at 4 wpm).

Four walks per month is very keen.

The Jagungal region has a lot of options. Open, not too many trees or scrub, mainly flat, creeks everywhere, sheltered camping nearly anywhere below a ridge or in a hollow behind a rock. I've camped just below the summit of Jagungal and Gungartan. At the Jagungal campsite I saw a snake of the genus Bigus scaryum, over a metre long. The only obstacle are some rivers, notably the Doubtful at and below the AAWT.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby kosta » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 3:56 pm

Awesome, thank you so much, especially Zapruda and Lophophaps. I think this gets me started I can piece something together now. :-)

And with all the big rivers I take it that water isn't much of an issue out there, even in the current drought...?
kosta
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 4:12 pm

No dramas.

water is plentiful up there. I rarely carry more than a litre at a time. You will be fine.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 10 Dec, 2019 6:11 pm

As Zapruda said, water is plentiful. Be very careful at Wilkinson Valley and on the Lake Circuit that goes from Charlotte Pass, Blue Lake, Kosciuszko, and returns down the road. Human waste has caused some water to be polluted. More remote water should be okay. In many places on the Main Range you just have to go downhill for a few minutes and there are small creeks. I've obtained water on Mann Bluff, below the summit of Townsend, Tate and Jagungal. There are many small and big water sources around and on Jagungal.

The Main Range and Jagungal are both well worth visiting. If you post a proposed itinerary we can advise about this. The start time on the first day and how far you think you can go are helpful when reviewing the walk.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to New South Wales & ACT