Kariong Scout camp - walking through?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kariong Scout camp - walking through?

Postby skibug » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm interested in putting together a route using the Great North Walk from Wondabyne, via the Girrakool track then finishing in Kariong (from where we'll bus to Gosford station). I'm still not sure if it's possible to do so without a solid bush bash - it seems it could be done by going through the Kariong Scout camp, but is this allowable/possible? Is prior notice/permission given an option?
Many thanks in advance,

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kariong Scout camp - walking through?

Postby rcaffin » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 5:50 pm

It sticks in my memory that we have come from Staples LO, walked up the power line track parallel to the main road, walked down the Scout Camp road, through it, picked up the track marked on the topo at the far side of the open grassy area, down to the Patonga Walking Track or GNW, several times.

We have also walked from the new bridge on the GNW across Piles Ck up to the Girrakool 'picnic area' (used the picnic tables), under the Freeway and then cut across to the 'oil and gas pipeline track'. Can't remember where we went after that. Anyhow, there was no scrub bashing. There are concrete stepping stones across Piles Ck at the waterfall. Hum - falls could be a bit 'dry' right now. I would not trust the water anyhow.

For sure, you could do a loop with ends at Kariong. The old topo shows a number of tracks in the area, and I think the Scouts have been using them regularly.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT