1 - 2 day walks around Canberra and the greater area...

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

1 - 2 day walks around Canberra and the greater area...

Postby vdhant » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone can recommend some really good 1 or 2 day hikes around the ACT and the greater area (i.e. into New South Wales). I have been eying off the Castle but I am going by myself (still to find some walking partners) and I've heard it can be a bit hairy... But what other really good walks are out there that are worth doing in this heat. I'm not into hiking for the walking but for the scenery and getting out and about, so there has to be something worth going for. Also I'm a photographer and really like good sights at sunrise and sunset.
Cheers
Anthony
vdhant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: 1 - 2 day walks around Canberra and the greater area...

Postby johnw » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:47 pm

What about around the main range and beyond in Kosciuszko NP? Plenty of walk options and great for photography. Hard to beat on a clear day in summer with the views, alpine wildflowers etc. It's usually quite cool up there too (sometimes icy cold/windy, and snow is possible in any season). Will be down that way after Christmas myself and hopefully doing a few day trips. A few ideas to start (all day walks, but you can camp as long as it's not in the catchment of any glacial lake):

Lakes (main range) Circuit
    The Sentinel
    Mt Twynam
    Mt Townsend
    Ramshead Range (off-track)
The guidebook Snowy Mountains Walks (Geehi Bushwalking Club) is a good resource and worth getting.

Don't know about the Castle (I assume the one in the Budawangs, if so I've read similar). An easier walk around there (though steep) is Pigeon House Mountain. Half-day or so with great scenery.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 7:31 am

Yep, main range area as John said (was up there a couple of weeks ago and there was just enough snow left to make it interesting without impeding walking). Also south to the Chimneys/Cascades area, and to the north around blue waterholes/coolemon area. Around cbr itself there is Gudgenby, Bimberi, Orrorral area, some nice easy ones around Tidbinbilla (think most of the tracks are open now) or if looking for something really strenuous then could try the Tinderrys (see T. Thomas's book: 100 best mountain walks in Aust) - although I believe most of the latter is off track.

Other options within an hour or two include the Woila area off Krawaree road via the Big Badja (Deua NP). Haven't been that far myself but I'm told it's speccy, a grossly underrated destination mostly on fire trails but a lot of off track if you really want to get among it. Also, with ref to the Castle area, a nice (and more accessible from cbr) alternative is the corang peak/canowie brook area, which can be a longish day walk to a couple of days from the car park at Wog Wog (less than an hour on dirt road north of Braidwood, either along the Nerriga road then turn off or from the B'wood township proper through Mongarlowe... the latter option is shorter but a little rougher but both are suitable for 2WD). This area takes in views of the castle/mt owen/pidj house area and in fact can be extended to include the castle (3-4 days rtn or 2-3 days finishing at Yadboro... not an option if doing it solo without car shuffle).

Ettrima wilderness north of Nerriga has heaps of options but also off track (like Woila, haven't been there either but the photos look awesome).

The Shoalhaven Gorge area has heaps of good-road-accessible half or 1-2 day walks anywhere between Bungonia canyon to Bundanoon (plenty of nice day walks around there too). Best access is from Badjery's spur or the Long Point track at Tallong, about 20 mins north of Goulburn.

Believe it or not this list isn't exhaustive! There are heaps of top quality walks within a couple of hours of Canberra outside the Budawangs or the Snowies... they're just not as obvious (ie. on the doorstep) as they often are in Tassie. The castle is definately one of them but there are dozens of similarly spectacular alternatives if you're worries about the exposure (although I do intend to get up there soon). A few of these I've done and many are on my "to do" list that I've seen from a distance. Others, such as Tinderry, will probably remain in the "too difficult" pile but who knows.

Besides, the Blue Mountains are only a few hours away and Tassie is a 1 1/2 hr flight :)

Cheers

FB
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 7:44 am

The Buddawangs approached from the west are easy enough. From memory you would need a full day in and out and navigation can be a bit tricky once the escarpments are reached (castle?) but the walk in is spectacular. Camping in, watching the sunset from a cave face was a nice experience.

I did the walk down into Ettrema gorge. There are some tough 'pinches' getting down the creek into the gorge but easy enough once your down there (so long as you choose the right exit :roll: )

I would suggest hooking up with the Canberra Bushwalking Club http://www.canberrabushwalkingclub.org.au/
They have a full list of walks leaving most weekends (and some good leaders from the walks i attended)

The areas mentioned on the main range sound interesting. From the areas iv'e visited there are some great o/nighters. Probably starting to get a bit longer including the drive though.

I'd be choosing one of the more sheltered (perhaps waterside) walks in the hot weather...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby vdhant » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks for the great info guys, I'll have to build up a list of walks and see what I can get crossed off.
Cheers
Anthony
vdhant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 10:16 am

Hi Anthony,

Try this blog, http://jevans.pcug.org.au/ it is second to none for information on local Canberra walks, a word of caution, some of these walks are as tough and hard as it gets in the local Canberra area and should not be attempted without some experience.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby WarrenH » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 3:36 pm

Anthony, G'day Mate.

Legoland's interesting for a photographer. Legoland is well worth enjoying.

Legoland is a short afternoon or evening walk along the top of Orroral Ridge, to several impressive granite outcrops, and is fine to do at this time of year. It is only half an hours walk back to the car at the tower after seeing the sunset. Scrambling around the rocks can take time. Map: Corin Dam 1:25,000.

Another classic pictorial walk here is to Nursery Swamp. Map: Rendezvous Creek 1:25,000. Nursery Swamp is the largest fen on Mainland Oz. Only in Tassy are the fens bigger. A fen is an enclosed body of water mainly of sedge. The Stinkers in the swamp will blow any nature photographer away. Watching the splashing Stinkers cross the swamp when back-lit in the late afternoon is real National Geographic stuff.

I can post shots of the Swamp, if you're interested? I don't want to steal-the-thunder with shots though, if you are going to visit the Swamp. It is an area that I like as a photographer.

Some of the rock platforms above the swamp on the northern slopes are awesome to be on. They're rugged to climb to, but well worth the effort. With the rain from just after Christmas, now in the swamp ... the back-lit splashing Stinkers, are too cool for words.

Warren.

PS, There's more than just Stinkers at Nursery Swamp, there are Rednecks and Tigers.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT