Budawangs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Budawangs

Postby gumnut » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:22 am

View from the top of the Castle (Oct 2019)
Attachments
20191025.2.jpg
20191025.2.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 456 times
gumnut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bushnut » Thu 30 Jul, 2020 6:09 am

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the water situation is like at Cooyoyo? Planning on heading up there for a night soon. the last time I was there it was very dry and had to collect water from some stagnant pools. Hoping it’s a bit better this time!

Cheers
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 30 Jul, 2020 8:55 am

bushnut wrote:Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the water situation is like at Cooyoyo? Planning on heading up there for a night soon. the last time I was there it was very dry and had to collect water from some stagnant pools. Hoping it’s a bit better this time!

Cheers

Plenty of water in the Budawangs (and everywhere) at the moment. Haven't been to Cooyoyo recently but have no doubt there would be plenty.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 30 Jul, 2020 9:40 am

bushnut wrote:Hi Everyone

Cheers
Given that the East Coast low over the weekend has caused serious flooding in the shoalhaven. I will take a stab in the dark and say that it probably flowing it's best in a long time and is well saturated. But that's just a guess.
Although I'm headed there tomorrow and I won't be bringing more than a litre from the car.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushnut » Thu 30 Jul, 2020 5:27 pm

That all makes sense!

Huntsman247, might check in with you next week to see!

Thanks everyone
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 10:16 pm

Just got back from a few days in the Budawangs. I haven't seen so much water coming off the castle for a few years now. All the water ways are flowing well. Lots of slushy bits again. I didn't go to Cooyoyo but people that were camping there said the crk was pretty high. So many people doing the castle...
On the walk out, just before the conglomerate slope with the chains I saw 2 guys who were astonished that I could fit two days worth of gear and food in one bag. One had a 70l pack and the other a larger backpack and 2 very large duffel bags. The guy with the bigger pack looked like he was about to pass out. The bags contained 'food & music' and they admitted that had over estimated what that could carry. I'm assuming that by music he meant speakers and there had to be a case in there too. It was even funner when I found out one of the guys had done the castle before as a day trip. That provided some good entertainment.
Although I feel sorry for the people that were camping next to them if they brought speakers.... And hopefully their 'food' doesn't end up at the bottom of Cooyoyo.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 6:16 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:It was even funner when I found out one of the guys had done the castle before as a day trip.

What's funny about that? Fast and light without an overnight pack, it's a fabulous day trip and not too strenuous.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 9:43 pm

ribuck wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:It was even funner when I found out one of the guys had done the castle before as a day trip.

What's funny about that? Fast and light without an overnight pack, it's a fabulous day trip and not too strenuous.
I thought it was pretty funny that they knew what the track is like and still decided that they would take 2 bigger than life dufflebags. Forgivable if you haven't done it before.... But knowing... That to me is the definition of stupidity.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT