Easy for Kids, near Wollongong

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Easy for Kids, near Wollongong

Postby climberman » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 6:03 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy overnighters?

Ideally I'd like a 1-2km walk to somewhere for non-car based camping. Facilities aren't super important, but a clear area for camping and a long-drop would be nice. I'd like to start getting the grommets into / used to walking-camping (as opposed to car-camping, which we also do). Even a walk to another car-based camping might be good. I'd prefer within 2 hours drive of Wollongong. Kids are 5 and 8.

Morton ? Fitzroy Falls ? Anywhere in Kangaroo Valley ? Royal ?

Ta folks.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Easy for Kids, near Wollongong

Postby melinda » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Climberman,
The places you have mentioned would all be suitable for your purposes.
For very short day walks suitable for children you could also do sections of the ring track around Mt Ousley. (Some great views on the south side.)
For great day walks or an easy overnighter with (paid) camping facilities you could have a look at Killalea State Park. There are two absolutely beautiful beaches there, 'the Farm' and 'Mystics.' A link to Killalea is : http://www.killalea.org.au/pages/introduction.htm
And Kiama council has just open a track along the coast that could be done in sections. Have a look at :http:// http://www.kiama.com.au/pages/walking-trails/
And so on.... Lot's of beautiful, easy walks suitable for kids!
Hope this helps you out. Good luck with the kids.
Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Region: New South Wales

Postby juju » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 9:33 am

I haven't done much in that area but I have an old book '100 walks in New South Wales' by Tyrone Thomas - 1977! There is a walk in it - 'Long Point to Shoalhaven River' It's described as an 8km - one day - medium. It starts from Long Point Lookout, 5.7 km south of Tallong Railway Station, west of Bundanoon.
'The trail meets the river just at the confluence of Barbers Creek, from where there are lovely grassy flats to the east and sandy beaches to the west.'
It describes a well graded track (most others to the river are steep) and takes about 1 and 1/4 hrs to come back out. As it's an old book I'm not sure what the place is like now. Someone more familiar with the Shoalhaven would know. - Sounds like an easy overnight with little ones.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:46 pm

climberman wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for easy overnighters?

Ideally I'd like a 1-2km walk to somewhere for non-car based camping. Facilities aren't super important, but a clear area for camping and a long-drop would be nice. I'd like to start getting the grommets into / used to walking-camping (as opposed to car-camping, which we also do). Even a walk to another car-based camping might be good. I'd prefer within 2 hours drive of Wollongong. Kids are 5 and 8.

Morton ? Fitzroy Falls ? Anywhere in Kangaroo Valley ? Royal ?

I think the main problem is the short walk in distance of 1-2km that you specify, but understandable given the kids' ages. You could walk in to Uloola Falls campsite from Waterfall Rly Stn in Royal but I think it's about 5km. It's an easy walk though, mostly flattish along FT with no really big hills. Bookings essential. There is also a loo there. Could be quite hot in summer though.

Another Royal option might be North Era campsite on the Coast Track, possibly walking in from Garrawarra Farm, or Garie. Easy-ish but can be steep in places. Campsites also have to be booked. That one is kind of on the beach at least.

I wouldn't recommend Long Point to Shoalhaven R for young kids without prior experience. It's few years ago since we walked it. Although the track was well defined, it's probably 400m descent or more and quite steep in places, hence Tyrone Thomas' medium grade. Nice walk however.

Someone posted a photo recently camped at Staffords Farm near Mt Keira. That's an easy short walk in from the road, maybe 2km. No facilities and a bit overgrown/weedy but nice outlook and views to Mt Kembla. I've also encountered wallabies there. I don't know if there are any issues with camping in that area. Might be worth a phone call to NPWS Wollongong office.

Plenty of day walks as others have said, but overnighters of the required standard are a bit thin. I'll keep scratching my head and see if anything else comes to mind.

p.s. Just thought of another one. Meryla Pass to Gales Flat in Morton NP near Moss Vale/Fitzroy Falls. It's quite steep but only about 1km on FT down to an open grassy the campsite (an old farm site). Wombats inhabit the area and the views are excellent.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby climberman » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks guys, some excellent ideas there. Feel free to drop any more in !
climberman

Postby beanie kids » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 7:28 pm

In choosing the walk I 'd also think about what camp site you (no, sorry, they!) would like. At 5 and 8 they are probably not going to want to be roused at about nearby cliffs and prickley veg and unlikely to enjoy "pokey" muddy camp sites. I'd look for something where a fire might be possible - and don't forget the marshmallows! However, a friend was just telling me all outdoor fires are now banned for summer - not sure if this is true or not and whether this applies to designated fireplaces in camp grounds. If fire is off the agenda, flowing creeks and rocks are a great amusement while dinner cooks. I wouldn't worry too much about the distance - the beanie kids have always been fitter than us....the only problem we encounter is boulders and small cliffs (eg: landslip over a track section) or high steps which they can't get their legs over.
beanie kids
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby climberman » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 8:40 pm

Ta beanie. Yeah, ours are fine with scrambling, and near water is good. I'm wary of cliffs - it's fine to put a foot in the water, but a foot off the edge of a cliff is a no-go. My daughter in partic is a sugar junkie and will have no issues eating marshmallows from a pocket rocket !
climberman

Postby Lizzy » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 10:51 am

If you have a canoe (or hire one from Kangaroo Valley Safaris) its a nice couple of hours paddle up the Shoalhaven gorge to some nice campsites from Tallowa Dam near Kangarro Valley. You can also camp at Bendella Picnic ground and paddle on the kangaroo River... Mmmmm very nice and fun with the kids.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT