NPWS intentions form

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

NPWS intentions form

Postby davidmorr » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 2:03 pm

NPWS has had paper intentions forms for people borrowing PLBs for some time. They have now introduced an online intentions form for certain activities in NPs.

The purpose of this is not clear. They say specifically it will not be used to start a search. It will be sent to your nominated contact person as a record and they will have to notify the police if you are overdue.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/sa ... ore-you-go

I had thought this was pretty much what my club did anyway, so did not think any more about it.

However, someone suggested the other day that it may be a way for them to gather information about who is using parks and what they are doing. This is information they do not have. All they know about is people who go to NPs for a picnic or barbecue, who have to pay an entry fee or can be surveyed. People in remote areas will never be known about.

Now you could view this in two ways. One is that it would be good for them to know that there is more to NPs than people having a picnic, and that their attitude might become slanted more positively towards bushwalkers. In this case, it would be useful for bushwalkers to complete the form.

But another might be that they want to know what is going on so they can regulate it.

Thoughts?
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: NPWS intentions form

Postby Zapruda » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 3:30 pm

This is just bureaucracy at work. They need to be seen to be doing something in the name of COVID and this is what’s been decided by the policy makers.

I truly don’t believe it is anything more than just dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

Well, I hope not.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

NPWS intentions form

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 4:30 pm

Paranoia!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 6:46 pm

I think it is a good idea on a voluntary basis past COVID but... You also have to book every campsite ATM! So all those free first in best dressed sites need to be booked. Wild and sites not listed on the NSW parks site are exempt but still need to fill in the form for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NickH » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 9:27 pm

davidmorr wrote:NPWS has had paper intentions forms for people borrowing PLBs for some time. They have now introduced an online intentions form for certain activities in NPs.

The purpose of this is not clear. They say specifically it will not be used to start a search. It will be sent to your nominated contact person as a record and they will have to notify the police if you are overdue.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/sa ... ore-you-go

I had thought this was pretty much what my club did anyway, so did not think any more about it.

However, someone suggested the other day that it may be a way for them to gather information about who is using parks and what they are doing. .........

But another might be that they want to know what is going on so they can regulate it.

Thoughts?

They are the land manager. They are responsible for the people on their land. As a minimum, a TIF achieves that. They can check if they wish, and, if someone calls and reports someone missing, they already have the info. I'm surprised they haven't had this for thing rolling before.
Managing a contagion is about managing the movement of people. To do that , gotta know where the people are and when. I'm pleased to say I've already used the online form thingy!! :D
NickH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT