Hannels Spur

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Hannels Spur

Postby johnw » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:11 am

Stew63 wrote:Considering the obvious cultural and historical significance of Hannels Spur it's a major shame that NPWS cannot and will not recut nor maintain this special track - even discreetly. Perhaps a special corridor though the Western Fall Wilderness could be declared? A real shame to let it disappear into the regrowth forever :(...

I've sometimes daydreamed about doing this challenging walk myself. But, as a generally solo walker, the logistics become awkward. I'm guessing there would be KNP field staff who would support the idea of restoring this track but are unfortunately restricted. Maybe try lobbying the minister and local member/s on the basis of its historical significance (adding anything about perceived tourism benefits might generate more interest :roll:)?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 2:01 pm

johnw wrote:Maybe try lobbying the minister and local member/s on the basis of its historical significance (adding anything about perceived tourism benefits might generate more interest :roll:)?

While it's a great walk and a brilliant way to access the Main Range, it's not a tourist walk. No matter the condition of the track, it would get very few users as it's just too long, steep and hard.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Stew63 » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 8:53 pm

^^^This^^^

Yes - it's absolutely, definitely not a walk to be promoted to the general public - doesn't mean the track can't be recut - well with the exception of that dang Wilderness overlay... Two words again: 'Wilderness Corridor'

Count Paul Strzelecki, James Macquarie, Alf Hannel, Leo Byatt, the Murray/Indi Aborigines (x1000s of years) - so much important Australian history along a single track to be obliterated by a Wilderness overlay. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for wilderness and overlays - but I'm sure a comprise/corridor could be met in this particular case.
Last edited by Stew63 on Tue 17 Jan, 2017 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 9:34 pm

north-north-west wrote:
johnw wrote:Maybe try lobbying the minister and local member/s on the basis of its historical significance (adding anything about perceived tourism benefits might generate more interest :roll:)?

While it's a great walk and a brilliant way to access the Main Range, it's not a tourist walk. No matter the condition of the track, it would get very few users as it's just too long, steep and hard.

Agreed. I was really just being cynicaI but should have been more specific - regional tourism from the perception of having something of historic value. I wouldn't want the average tourist to attempt it either. Many of them struggle with the Kosci walkway.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 9:40 pm

johnw wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

Agreed. I was really just being cynicaI but should have been more specific - regional tourism from the perception of having something of historic value. I wouldn't want the average tourist to attempt it either. Many of them struggle with the Kosci walkway.

No worries John - Yeah I sought of knew where you were coming from there... :D
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT