Comment By Feb 15 revised POMs Blue Mts, Kanangra, Wollemi

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Comment By Feb 15 revised POMs Blue Mts, Kanangra, Wollemi

Postby johnw » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm

I meant to post this earlier. Just realised that the closing date for comments on the Significance and Values for proposed revised plans of management for all three national parks is next Monday February 15th 2010. If anyone is interested in commenting on these proposed values as a registered stakeholder (for example, as a bushwalker), you can still do this. Just contact NPWS as shown on this page: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/protectedareas/bmrsregistration.htm.

As a result of registering I received a newsletter, draft discussion papers and a survey form covering the matters that they currently intend to address in the plans. You can comment on one, two or all reserves as desired. Or not comment at all if preferred, but just stay informed during the planning process.

Personally, I think there are significant threats going forward, based on the recent past, such as from commercial tourism developments within park boundaries, shooting of native and feral animals by “licensed hunters”, encroaching urban development, cost cutting and lack of funding for maintenance despite increased size of the areas under management (to name just a few). I think it’s an opportunity to have your say about what you do or don’t want happening in the future. From the NPWS email I received:

“This is your opportunity to let us know about particular issues you would like to see addressed in the revised plans.”
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Comment By Feb 15 revised POMs Blue Mts, Kanangra, Wolle

Postby WarrenH » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 5:22 pm

John, thank you for the information. We have to phone firstly or email, then apply by mail, if we would like to be registered stakeholders. The email registration is now closed.

I visit Kanangra-Boyd several times a year and Newnes, Wolgan and Gardens of Stone a couple of times a year. I'd like to keep up to speed with what is happening. It is so quiet where I go, I was foolishly lulled into thinking that the western Blue Mountains was immune from administrative *&^%$#!, but apparently not.

I'm not sure if I'm odd, like the odd person out, but I take real offence to being referred to by the Dept ECC&W as a mere park stakeholder and having to be a registered stakeholder to be able to make comments. I though that all Australians, were the owners of our National Parks?

We are the owners not just stakeholders. I think that I'll remind the Department that we Australians are the owners, when I apply for registration as a registered stakeholder.

NSW Parks Administrators are so pretentious.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm

WarrenH wrote:...We have to phone firstly or email, then apply by mail, if we would like to be registered stakeholders...

Hopefully not snail mail as it would take too long. The info seems to imply that, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't be actioned by email or even a quick phone call.

WarrenH wrote:I visit Kanangra-Boyd several times a year and Newnes, Wolgan and Gardens of Stone a couple of times a year. I'd like to keep up to speed with what is happening. It is so quiet where I go, I was foolishly lulled into thinking that the western Blue Mountains was immune from administrative *&^%$#!, but apparently not.

Warren, it's great that you're interested. I think it's important that NPWS get first hand feedback from people who know what's going on out there. My perception is that too many policy makers rarely actually get out into the bush. Field staff is a different story as I've been on quite a few trips with them, but it needs input from we park owners :wink: to help convince their bosses of what's important IMHO.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 2:19 pm

Fellow Park Owners, and italic park owners as well ... Hello.

As a registered stakeholder woe-be-tide anyone who comments adversely about our park now ... especially the italic park owners.

I had a nice conversation about the appropriate use of the words Owner, stakeholder and shareholder, with the BMRPO. This discussion is had often within the Department. So I'm now all three, an OS&S.

John, I'm pleased to be involved. I'm not that familiar with most of Wollomi, like 95% of the park. Although I've spent time struggling up at Widden ... being a Yodelling Ranger and attempting to devour Wedding Cake and Christmas Pudding.

On one of the Tasmanian posts, one of the Forumites wrote something like "There is nothing like Tasmania on the Mainland." I wonder if the author would have written that, if they had been up on the Mount Pomany Massif or Hool Em Boy Point, or looking up at the Geryon, in the far NW of the Colo Wilderness.

I'll post some shots of the beautiful Western Blue Mountains.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby melinda » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi guys,
I emailed them today, so I'll see how long they take to respond.
Melinda
PS Warren, Widden Valley is big on my list to do. Have driven in there to have a look, it's magic.
Coricudgy area is pretty interesting too.
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Postby melinda » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:27 am

Hi guys,
I emailed them yesterday and they sent out forms electronically today.
They were prompt.
I guess I'm a 'registered stakeholder now.
Although the 'rebel, anarchist' in me doesn't like the 'registered' bit, I love 'our' bush. :mrgreen:
And I want my daughter and any future descendants to be able to enjoy it too!
Melinda
melinda

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm

WarrenH wrote:On one of the Tasmanian posts, one of the Forumites wrote something like "There is nothing like Tasmania on the Mainland." I wonder if the author would have written that, if they had been up on the Mount Pomany Massif or Hool Em Boy Point, or looking up at the Geryon, in the far NW of the Colo Wilderness.

I can only speak for myself, but - yes.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:57 pm

melinda wrote:Hi guys,
I emailed them yesterday and they sent out forms electronically today.
They were prompt.
I guess I'm a 'registered stakeholder now.
Although the 'rebel, anarchist' in me doesn't like the 'registered' bit, I love 'our' bush. :mrgreen:
And I want my daughter and any future descendants to be able to enjoy it too!
Melinda

That's great Melinda :). I sent them my submission for Blue Mtns NP today.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 4:27 pm

Good to see someone is out there looking after our interests! I've only just started walking the western side of the Blue Mountains.
While I'm in the forum, how can you get to Pantoney's Crown and, how far do you have to walk downstream from Glen Davis before you get some good canyon scenery?
For those who are interested, you might keep an eye on "On The Road" and "Caravan and Motorhome" magazines for some articles on the area.
Cheers all.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi iandsmith,
I've heard of numerous approaches to Pantoneys.
Only one I've done went:
Drive as close to Baal Bone Gap as possible. (Can't recall exact firetrail we took but we did have to walk for about one hour to get to Baal Bone Gap)
Then take firetrail down from Baal Bone Gap for about another hour, then offtrack following red dotted line.
Pantoneys Crown route.jpg
Pantoneys Crown route.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 11984 times

NB This is an approximate route
Melinda
melinda

Postby kanangra » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 7:45 am

To answer your 2nd question, not very far at all. Not far downstream is some of the most stupendous canyon scenery in the Bm's.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby iandsmith » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I'll leave you with a couple of pics of the area.
Attachments
Newnes - Petries Gully (43) sp alt.jpg
Petrie's Gully
Newnes - Petries Gully (43) sp alt.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
Mystery Mountain panorama 1.jpg
Mystery Mountain
Mystery Mountain panorama 1.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
Glen Davis - Glen Alice 208.jpg ch.jpg
Moon over Glen Davis
Birds - Red Wattle Bird sp.jpg
Honeyeater
Birds - Red Wattle Bird sp.jpg (131.12 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 1:57 pm

G'day.

I wonder why Nattai National Park isn't included in the review? It seems incongruous to me that it isn't, being an integral region of the Greater Blue Mountains? Nattai is jointly managed by NSWP&WS and the Sydney Catchment Authority? Nattai is one of the most pristine, if not the most pristine region of the Blue Mountains? So, I wonder why the demarcation and exclusion in this instance?

UNESCO's programmes 'Man and the Biosphere' and 'Sustainable Environments' both push for the linking of unspoilt primitive regions, if only by creating wildlife corridors, if there are no other options? Including Nattai in the review, makes a lot of sense, within the greater scheme of things. Australia embraces both of the UNESCO programmes? Having the greatest contiguous area possible, being reviewed, I would have thought was wise.

Photos of Nattai that i took last weekend. I guess Nattai isn't in the review because developers want access ?

Even the tracks into Nattai are cool. Extremely cool.

Warren.
WarrenH

Return to New South Wales & ACT