Barrington Tops info?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Barrington Tops info?

Postby juju » Mon 01 Mar, 2010 8:16 am

Does anyone have any suggestions and information about two or three day walks in the Barrington Tops National Park. I have a couple of older walking books that mention Gloucester Tops, Careys Peak, Barrington Tops Walk, but some I would really appreciate some first hand information. Thanks, Julie.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Barrington Tops info?

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Mon 01 Mar, 2010 11:11 am

Driving in from the Gloucester side you can follow the Gloucester Tops Road turning right into Kerripit Road - leave your car here and walk along the Gloucester Tops Walking Track to Wombat Creek. Wombat Creek is about a 5 hour walk from the car through interesting rainforest, swamps and sub alpine forest. Wombat Creek could be used as a base for 2 nights - perhaps using the middle day to go to Careys Peak, Big Hole etc. Return the same way.

The big advantage of starting at Kerripit Road is that you don't have the huge climb up from the Williams River.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby juju » Mon 01 Mar, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. I read in someone's online walking notes about a 'new toilet' at Wambat Creek so am now wondering about what sort of walking it would be, although I'm not expecting wilderness, it is nice to get away from it all. Is it fire trails or walking tracks? and is the water quality good? Would the access in be okay or 4WD? Thanks again. Julie.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 02 Mar, 2010 7:32 am

Fire trails mostly. Water quality is excellent.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidmorr » Fri 05 Mar, 2010 8:30 pm

You do need to be aware that a large part of Barrington Tops is under quarantine for phytophthora. This area is gradually expanding, so if you want to experience Barrington Tops, do it now while you can.

It includes just about everything east of the Junction Pools road, the Barrington River from just below Junction Pools, and north of the Aeroplane Hill track. The Big Hole is in the middle of it.

It used to be much smaller than this a couple of years ago. I have seen walkers coming out of this area, so hardly surprising the fungus is spreading. :-(

The Gloucester Tops to Barrington track (the "Link Trail") is an old vehicle track that is barely used except by walkers. It's a quite pleasant walk, but take note of the road closure here:

http://npws.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/pa ... x?id=N0002

So your options now are to walk up from Lagoon Pinch to Wombat Creek, or to start from Polblue. A good loop is Junction Pools, Aeroplane Hill, Black Swamp, follow the road around to Carey's Peak, continue on around the road back to Junction Pools visiting Barrington Falls and other sights. A shorter and more interesting variation from Carey's Peak is the track across Edwards Swamp to Junction Pools.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Sat 06 Mar, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks David. Yes the Gloucester Tops Road is closed so it looks like Lagoon Pinch to Wombat Creek and then walks from there. Julie
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Sun 07 Mar, 2010 8:49 am

Might be worth checking with the NPWS about the road closure. They have a habit of not updating the web site very frequently.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Sun 07 Mar, 2010 1:38 pm

That's quite a climb up 'the corker'. Think I'll save it for another day/s and take your suggestion of heading out from Polblue. And Ill give NP a call.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Sun 07 Mar, 2010 4:34 pm

The worst bit of the Corker is going down it. :-(

It is a pretty walk though, with a patch of Antarctic beech just as you arrive on the plateau.

BTW, beware of leeches and mossies.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:44 am

I'm keen to do it, I don't think the others are up for it this time though. Is the corker track easy to follow?
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Mon 08 Mar, 2010 8:06 am

Yes, it's an old road. Parts of it are getting a bit overgrown now (nettles), but it's clear where it goes. Most of it is open gravel.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:25 pm

I've done a fair bit in the Gloucester Tops area lately and the road up to Gloucester Falls was closed for about a year, then it was reopened before being temporarily closed for a couple of weeks due to trees falling on it. To the best of my knowledge it should be open.
I take photos for the NPWS up there so I'm usually fairly up-to-date with what's going on.
Some stunning stuff if you know where to go and how to get there.
I'll try and leave you with a couple of pics.
Cheers, Ian
Attachments
Gloucester Falls (89) sp frank.jpg ad.jpg
One of dozens of cascades within about a kilometre of each other
Gloucester Falls (23) sp crop.jpg
Gloucester Falls July (27) sp.jpg
Gloucester Falls July (27) sp.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 26720 times
Gloucester Falls July (48) sp.jpg
Gloucester Falls July (48) sp.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 26720 times
Gloucester 374 sp.jpg
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 6:54 am

thanks Ian, lovely pics. It's good to know the road's open, I don't know if it will change my plans to go in at Polblue. Should it? is the nicest walking to be had at the Gloucester Tops end?
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 3:46 pm

Gosh, sorry for not replying sooner, you've probably finished the walk long ago. I don't think anywhere is better/worse than anywhere else on the eastern side of Barrington, it's good wherever you go.
Just to prove I'm not biased, here's some pics of Rocky Crossing where I was about a month ago.
Cheers.
Attachments
Barrington Tops - Rocky Crossing (5).jpg
On the trail down from Lagoon Pinch
Barrington Tops - Rocky Crossing (46).jpg
Looking upstream
Barrington Tops - Rocky Crossing (76).jpg
A side waterfall
Barrington Tops - Rocky Crossing (61).jpg
The main area
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 6:03 pm

Gee there are some nice shots there. Love those saturated colours. The first one is a stand out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juju » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Ian, beautiful pics, thanks for getting back to me.
Because I ended up alone the weekend I intended to go to Barrington (on the way to Sydney) I changed my 'trip' and went to Newnes where I 'tripped' in a pothole :oops: (I was looking up at the beaut rock formations and not watching where I was going) and spent the afternoon with ice on the big egg size swell on my poor foot before limping (in the car - lucky it was my accelerator pedal and not the brake) back to Sydney.
My foot recovered in a few weeks time for a lovely two day walk from Point Lookout in the New England National Park down to the Bellinger River and Thora, but I did go over on it a few times on the way down the escarpment.
So Barrington is still on my list especially as I have a dear friend living at Mount Royal I haven't visited for over 20 years...
Julie
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rod » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:36 pm

Julie,
If you could be motivated enough perhaps you could share details/pics of the walk you did in the New England ?
I'm sure there are a few of us who would be interested -I've always thought there must be opportunities that way for overnight walking ??
Rod
Rod
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby juju » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 12:41 am

Hi Rod The walk I did is called the New England Wilderness Walk I've made a post about it by the same name.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TakeStepPT » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 5:36 pm

davidmorr wrote:
So your options now are to walk up from Lagoon Pinch to Wombat Creek, or to start from Polblue. A good loop is Junction Pools, Aeroplane Hill, Black Swamp, follow the road around to Carey's Peak, continue on around the road back to Junction Pools visiting Barrington Falls and other sights. A shorter and more interesting variation from Carey's Peak is the track across Edwards Swamp to Junction Pools.

Thanks for this davidmorr. I'm planning a walk up here in August from lagoon pinch to polblue so will take this shorter section mentioned.
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidmorr » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 5:58 pm

I should add that we are told that the quarantine area is going to be opened up soon. Instead of being prohibited entry, they will be placing foot-wash stations at various entry and exit points to the area.

Given that so many people ignored the quarantine signs and still went in, this is probably a reasonable compromise. And will ofc open up some of the nicer areas again, like the Big Hole.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TakeStepPT » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 6:04 pm

That's great news. I was just in Gloucester last week talking to the NPWS and they didn't mention that but ill bring it up before I head off.
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby forest » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 11:54 am

davidmorr wrote:I should add that we are told that the quarantine area is going to be opened up soon. Instead of being prohibited entry, they will be placing foot-wash stations at various entry and exit points to the area.

Given that so many people ignored the quarantine signs and still went in, this is probably a reasonable compromise. And will ofc open up some of the nicer areas again, like the Big Hole.

Did they say when this might happen. It would be great if they do and open up some good loop walk options.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby TakeStepPT » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 1:02 pm

forest wrote:
davidmorr wrote:I should add that we are told that the quarantine area is going to be opened up soon. Instead of being prohibited entry, they will be placing foot-wash stations at various entry and exit points to the area.

Did they say when this might happen. It would be great if they do and open up some good loop walk options.

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Peter from Gloucester Parks office and he is planning to install them at the back end of winter 2013. The location initially will be on the southern end of the quarantine area. Hope this helps.

Pete
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:29 am

does anyone know any sites that have any track info for barrington tops? Planning on heading there in a month or so. Anything like Wildwalks for the area?
Cheers
perfectlydark

Postby TakeStepPT » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:37 am

perfectlydark wrote:does anyone know any sites that have any track info for barrington tops? Planning on heading there in a month or so. Anything like Wildwalks for the area?
Cheers

Hi,

I have only really come across this http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/natio ... x?id=N0002

which isn't that great. There is a Barrigton tops map that you can get from Gloucester Tops Visitors Centre. I also bought a small guide book put together by the Nation Parks office that is quite good for $10. :)

Pete
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks pete. Yes I saw that page. Not much help hehe.
thanks for the heads up on the visitors centre. Ill definatly pick up a topo map
cheers
perfectlydark

Postby forest » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:46 am

You will find a topo map and the NPWS map handy up there.
The NPWS map has all the trails but is not that detailed.
The topo map obviously has the details but there are a few tracks like Edwards Swamp that are not on it (or at least the 10 year old version I have)
Depends where you travel up there too. Careys Peak, Junctions Pools etc area off memory is on the Barrington Topo, Pole Blue side is on another map (Cannot recall which one) Gloucester Tops and link trail another.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:51 am

Ah thanks for the clarification. Pole Blue was where we are heading most likely
perfectlydark

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 5:18 pm

Our old book Take A walk in a National Park. Port Macquarie to Brisbane had track notes for the Barrington Tops area. It's been out of print for a long time but it is available as an e-book until our new book Take A walk in Northern NSW is completed. It will also include track notes for the Tops to Myall Walk that we have been able to complete recently. (We have only been home for a few weeks) Just shoot us an email from our website if you want us to let you know when the new book is completed. Cheers John
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to New South Wales & ACT