Blue Gum Forest- Where's the grass gone?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blue Gum Forest- Where's the grass gone?

Postby kanangra » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 8:37 am

I went for a walk from Mt Victoria to Blackheath via the BGF yesterday and was surprised to see the amount of regrowth on the forest floor. It was really thick and standing 4 foot high. It consisted of a maze of blady grass and lawyer vine. Quite a mess. Not the verdant parkscape I remembered? Then again perhaps it had only reverted to its original state before clearing for grazing? A pleasant day out just the same. I also noticed some people were carrying horrendous loads? If they were knew to the outdoors I hate to think what their first impressions were?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Blue Gum Forest- Where's the grass gone?

Postby johnw » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 9:27 am

kanangra wrote:I went for a walk from Mt Victoria to Blackheath via the BGF yesterday and was surprised to see the amount of regrowth on the forest floor. It was really thick and standing 4 foot high. It consisted of a maze of blady grass and lawyer vine. Quite a mess. Not the verdant parkscape I remembered? Then again perhaps it had only reverted to its original state before clearing for grazing? A pleasant day out just the same. I also noticed some people were carrying horrendous loads? If they were knew to the outdoors I hate to think what their first impressions were?

I suspect the changes are resulting from the most recent Grose Valley fire (2007?), which affected the BGF. I've noticed changes the last few times I've been there, including the trees themselves, particularly the colour of the bark. I think it looks much darker now, but that may also be partly seasonal. I've been told that they can't accurately assess how many trees were actually lost in the fire as some were apparently incinerated. We're tentatively doing a remote bush regeneration trip down there in May or June along Govetts Creek, so I'll be interested to have a look if we go in via Acacia Flat.

Yes, you get all sorts camping down there, many taking far too much stuff. Many who also ignore the fuel stove only signs. Last time I overnighted there were some young Scandanavian guys who were carrying these enormous tins of baked beans. :roll:

Out of curiosity how long did that walk take you? That's a solid distance for a day trip (a bit of running too?). Exit via Perrys or Govetts L?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 10:31 am

John,

I left Mt Vic at 8:15 and arrived at Blackheath via Govetts Leap at 4:30. Just walking this time. It is quite a pull out of the valley. I left Junction Rock at 2:45 and arrived at Govetts Leap at 4:05.

k.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 1:34 pm

kanangra wrote:I left Mt Vic at 8:15 and arrived at Blackheath via Govetts Leap at 4:30. Just walking this time. It is quite a pull out of the valley. I left Junction Rock at 2:45 and arrived at Govetts Leap at 4:05.

That's a good effort K. I've occasionally thought about doing that trip myself. I've walked all of the bits of it at different times but always considered it would be an overnighter if strung together. Yes I think the climb up from Junction Rock to the falls is longer and more strenuous than the map seems to imply. It's a pretty walk though, if a bit muddy ascending the cliff face after the falls. I think last time I went that way we walked out in similar time but were finishing a circuit starting from Govetts L. to Pulpit Rock then Perrys, BGF, JR etc.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 2:27 pm

John,

It is a comfortable day trip. The other option is to go up the Lockley Pylon track and out to Leura on the Mt Hay Rd. Although that is longer but still doable in a day.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 1:12 am

kanangra wrote:John,
...The other option is to go up the Lockley Pylon track and out to Leura on the Mt Hay Rd.

True but having to watch out for cars turns me off that idea, although I did walk along it to Mt Hay and back from the Lockley car park once.
I found the Lockley Track down to the BGF and back an interesting day trip though.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi Kanangra,
We do Perrys, Blue Gum, Lockleys and back quite frequently as a training walk. (Trying to stay hill fit.)
There are an amazing amount of people doing this as a fitness building walk.
A lot of them are trying to get fit for places like the Kokoda Trail.
The companies that run such walks recommend the Perrys/Lockley/Perrys walk to them, hence the big packs.
We've met people out there with packs full of weights. :shock:
Not my idea of fun, but to each his own.
Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:14 am

melinda wrote:We do Perrys, Blue Gum, Lockleys and back quite frequently as a training walk. (Trying to stay hill fit.)

Yes, that would do it I think. Reversing that whole route in a day would also be psychologically challenging for many people.
Killer on your knees with a heavy pack though. :shock:
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi johnw,
I carry a pretty light pack when we do this. :D
The knees .......
What can I say about the knees....
I use Blackmores 'joint formula advanced' with glucosamine and chondroitin during the winter.
It seems to help.
Melinda
melinda

Postby johnw » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:06 am

melinda wrote:The knees .......
What can I say about the knees....
I use Blackmores 'joint formula advanced' with glucosamine and chondroitin during the winter.
It seems to help.

Hi Melinda,
Coincidentally, today I bought some glucosamine/chondroitin to start combating my own buggered knee problems.
I eagerly await the outcome, but I think it takes a bit of time to see any improvement from what I've read.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi John,
Everyone I've spoken to about the glucosamine and chondroitin agrees that it takes a bit of time to work so give it a good trial. (Atleast 3 mths.)
I'm a real believer and take it regularly each winter when we are doing big, long walks. :D
I'm also a great believer in voltarin. (Although I try not to take it too much.)
My doc is a sports doc and he said to take it before and after a big walk in order to limit damage.
Everyone who has tried voltaren talks of it as a 'wonder' drug.
I know it does wonders for my knees but is pretty bad for the stomach. (Another trade-off!)
Makes me laugh, all these drugs, and vitamins and old wives cures just so we can stay fit! :?
Melinda
melinda

Postby Jellybean » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 7:30 am

melinda wrote:Hi John,
Everyone I've spoken to about the glucosamine and chondroitin agrees that it takes a bit of time to work so give it a good trial. (Atleast 3 mths.)
I'm a real believer and take it regularly each winter when we are doing big, long walks. :D
I'm also a great believer in voltarin. (Although I try not to take it too much.)
My doc is a sports doc and he said to take it before and after a big walk in order to limit damage.
I know it does wonders for my knees but is pretty bad for the stomach. (Another trade-off!)
Makes me laugh, all these drugs, and vitamins and old wives cures just so we can stay fit! :?
Melinda

Howdy,

Agree, Gluc/chondroitin does take a while to work so do persist with it.

After two lots of knee surgery in 2006 I was taking G/C, fish oil and Mobic (a NSAID - non steroidal anti inflammatory d... like Voltaren) but NSAIDs can cause gastric problems (and did with me) and shouldn't be used for the long term. I went off it because it was causing gastric problems but then had a big increase in knee pain. I then found a product from GNC (Joint Support Formula) which had a number of "herbal" ingredients which have been shown to decrease inflammation (included Boswelia, Curcumin and Ginger amongst other things). For me, it was a god send, was as effective as taking Mobic, without the side effects. Unfortunately GNC have since stopped making that combination (you have to buy each ingredient separately now - no way!). Am about to start looking around to see if I can find that combination somewhere else. Will let you know if I find something suitable.

Re the Gluc/Chondr - it took me a while to find one that really worked. I tried some of the powdered forms initially but, as I travel a lot, it wasn't very convenient (and also tasted foul, which was a disincentive to use it regularly). I settled on Herron Osteoeze Active tablets and have been using that for about 3 years now. (You can often get it on special for around $22/23 for 120 caps, I stock up then)

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 8:27 am

Hi Jellybean,
Will keep an eye out for the Herron Osteoeze Active and give it a try. (Sounds considerably cheaper than the Blackmores!)
Looking forward to meeting you on the Mt Dawson trip.
Melinda
melinda

Postby Jellybean » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:34 am

melinda wrote:Hi Jellybean,
Looking forward to meeting you on the Mt Dawson trip.
Melinda

Hi Melinda,

Ditto! I was hoping you were doing that. (I met David at the First Aid and Nav training in Centennial Park a few weeks ago).

'Am finally doing my first walk with SBW this weekend (Blue Mtns - Six Foot Track, Coxs River, Lower Jenolan Gorge, Breakfast Creek, Carlons), then the Mt Dawson trip next weekend. Can't wait! See you then.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Jellybean,
David told me that he had met you at the navigation day.
I think you will enjoy Sue's overnighter. Sue is really good fun and very experienced in the bush.
Very scenic walk, nice easy first day, good campsite. There are a few clever possums there so keep your food packed away well.
Let me know how it goes.
Melinda
melinda

Postby north-north-west » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 6:46 pm

Jellybean wrote: I settled on Herron Osteoeze Active tablets and have been using that for about 3 years now. (You can often get it on special for around $22/23 for 120 caps, I stock up then)

Thanks. I know I need to take something regularly, but there's so much out there it's difficult to decide what to try. Will add them to the shopping list.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Jellybean » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 8:52 pm

David told me that he had met you at the navigation day.
I think you will enjoy Sue's overnighter. Sue is really good fun and very experienced in the bush.
Very scenic walk, nice easy first day, good campsite. There are a few clever possums there so keep your food packed away well.
Let me know how it goes.
Melinda

Hi,

Thanks for the possum warning - 'will keep that in mind! We didn't receive a description of the actual walk other than what was in the calendar (above). Sue mentioned though that the first day would be long (with a shorter option if necessary) and the second day short. Not sure where the planned overnight spot is. Will report back!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 8:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Jellybean wrote: I settled on Herron Osteoeze Active tablets and have been using that for about 3 years now. (You can often get it on special for around $22/23 for 120 caps, I stock up then)

Thanks. I know I need to take something regularly, but there's so much out there it's difficult to decide what to try. Will add them to the shopping list.

Happy to be of service! :wink: (Even my orthopod recommended these!)
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 9:37 pm

Jellybean and north-north-west,
I went out and brought a bottle of the Osteoeze today also.
I got the Glucosamine, chondroitin + optMSM.
Have no idea in the world what the optMSM is :? :? :?
The chemist said it helps the body to absorb the glucosamine faster, hence quicker results.
Heh, I'll try anything once! :D
Melinda
melinda

Postby johnw » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 1:12 am

melinda wrote:Hi John,
Thanks Melinda. Strangely I feel like I'm getting some improvement already, maybe a placebo effect. Yes I've also been using voltaren and/or ibuprofen but try to limit their use. Unfortunately, apart from the knees, at present I'm also still recovering from a recent shoulder injury and today managed somehow to throw my neck out as well. :roll:

Jellybean wrote:I settled on Herron Osteoeze Active tablets and have been using that for about 3 years now. (You can often get it on special for around $22/23 for 120 caps, I stock up then)
Thanks for that JB. Initially I'm trying Natures Own Joint Enhance Glucosamine and Chondroitin Complex 100 tablets for about $30. I think I've read a recommendation elsewhere for Herron Osteoeze Active so good to know it works for you. And it would be a bit cheaper too.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 6:06 pm

melinda wrote:I went out and brought a bottle of the Osteoeze today also.

Taken first day's dosage. When do my hips start to feel better?

(At a guess, some time after I recover from the other recent injuries . . . )
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 9:38 pm

Well NNW, johnw thinks it's already working for him and Jellybean is pretty happy with it.
I did about 1200m on Saturday so nothing is going to help my knees just yet, but I live in hope....
I reckon the four of us should contact Herron and tell them that we will proclaim the glory of their product to every bushwalker in Oz if they pay us vast amounts of money.
A slush fund for our joints, so to speak. :D
So how much do we need to keep us happy???
melinda

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:56 pm

I'd settle for a lifetime's supply of said tablets, plus multivitamins and anything else they can come up with that makes me feel like I'm 45 again.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wellsy » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 5:05 pm

Concerning that smart brush tailed possum at the lower Jenolan River campsite, mentioned by Melinda in an earlier email. On one of Melinda's trips I was on a couple of years ago that rotten possum stole one of our party's grapefruit on the Saturday night and scared the crap out of another lady by planting it's backside on her face after she'd gone to sleep (she was using a fly). Last Easter on a CMW trip the same little bugger sneaked right up beside me (and I do mean RIGHT next to me!!)while I was eating and nicked my scroggin bag. To add insult to injury the bag was found the next morning near the fireplace, ripped open but the scroggin was untouched! Be warned- secure your food if you camp there.
wellsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby melinda » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Wellsy,
Possum 2 - Bushwalkers 0
And that is only the incidents that we know about.
I always loose when it comes to possum 'wars'! :roll:
Melinda
melinda

Postby Jellybean » Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:39 pm

Hey Melinda!

How was Kanangra last weekend? Was there just wet feet or wet everything!? :shock: Brrrr!

'Hope you had a good time!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Jellybean,
I managed just wet feet.
Some of the others managed wet everything, brrrh!
As we were coming down a ridge onto the Hollander River we heard shots being fired.
Talk about freak!
We were screaming and blowing whistles until we got a response.
Turned out to be some young guys pig hunting.
What can I say, we were on the "Shooters Hill" map!
Nearly got us lost on the Sunday arvo about half an hour from the cars.
Crossed what I thought was a side creek, which in fact was the main creek.
Had me going south instead of north for a few minutes, whoo....
Hope to see you soon.
(Heh, I've got a trip on to 100person cave soon if you have time, really spectacular scenery!)
Melinda
melinda

Postby Jellybean » Thu 15 Jul, 2010 8:17 pm

I managed just wet feet.
Some of the others managed wet everything, brrrh!
As we were coming down a ridge onto the Hollander River we heard shots being fired.
Talk about freak!
We were screaming and blowing whistles until we got a response.
Turned out to be some young guys pig hunting.
What can I say, we were on the "Shooters Hill" map!
Nearly got us lost on the Sunday arvo about half an hour from the cars.
Crossed what I thought was a side creek, which in fact was the main creek.
Had me going south instead of north for a few minutes, whoo....
Hope to see you soon.
(Heh, I've got a trip on to 100person cave soon if you have time, really spectacular scenery!)
Melinda

Hi Melinda,

'Sounds like an eventful walk!!

I was supposed to be coming on David's walk this weekend but have been away a lot lately and have too much to do here. (I have one week here, then another 5 weeks away). Unfortunately, the next walk will have to be after that (but I'll have 4 weeks riding in Quebec to make up for it!).

We ended up doing the 100 person cave walk with Don Finch at the end of May (the weekend that the cyclone was threatening off the coast) - sensational! I definitely want to do a lot more walking in Kanangra! (N.B. If you haven't done that walk recently, we found the 100 man cave at GDA MGRS 56 H KH 40509/39927 - the faint footpad on the approach to the cave disappears at times).

'Have a great walk this weekend. 'Look forward to catching up some time after the end of August!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Jellybean,
I have a foolproof method for finding the cave, hope it doesn't fail me this weekend.
If not, the coordinates live in my GPS.
4 weeks in Quebec sounds pretty special, you really do have a top job!
Have a great time.
Melinda
melinda

Postby Jellybean » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:33 pm

I have a foolproof method for finding the cave, hope it doesn't fail me this weekend.
If not, the coordinates live in my GPS.
4 weeks in Quebec sounds pretty special, you really do have a top job!
Have a great time.
Melinda

Hi Melinda,

I'd love to know your foolproof method! Even with Don (bushman extraordinaire) we didn't reach the cave by the most direct route! We found the correct route on the way out (easy when you know how!!). Enjoy the walk, I loved it!

Re Quebec, I definitely get some perks but also put in the hard yards in between times (I've been working days, nights, weekends for weeks but it will be worth it!). Catch ya.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT