Bushwalkers Transport

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bushwalkers Transport

Postby winterling » Sun 09 May, 2010 12:56 pm

Can anyone provide info re companies transporting walkers into the Main Range Area (Guthega) out of Canberra? Thought we would do the Main Range Circuit thanks to johnw's link to Wild Walks in a previous post.
winterling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Bushwalkers Transport

Postby johnw » Mon 10 May, 2010 1:09 am

winterling wrote:Can anyone provide info re companies transporting walkers into the Main Range Area (Guthega) out of Canberra? Thought we would do the Main Range Circuit thanks to johnw's link to Wild Walks in a previous post.

Glad I inspired you :wink:. Sadly not much help with transport ideas though, as we've always driven there. But you could try these guys as a starting point:
http://www.snowalliance.com.au/ AKA Hummingbird Charters I think. It's also probably worth ringing the NPWS visitors centre at Jindabyne. They act as the tourist information centre for the region and are usually quite helpful.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Steven » Sun 16 May, 2010 8:43 am

I looked at doing a walk from Kiandra to Thredbo in November 2009. I searched everywhere on the internet and rang a number of bus operators, but the best I could do was a taxi from Jindabyne.

In winter Thredbo is well serviced - outside of that I don't think you have much choice (although for larger groups you could charter a minibus).

Suffice it to say we didn't do the walk!
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Fri 21 May, 2010 6:41 pm

winterling wrote:Can anyone provide info re companies transporting walkers into the Main Range Area (Guthega) out of Canberra? Thought we would do the Main Range Circuit thanks to johnw's link to Wild Walks in a previous post.

There are a number of scheduled bus services from Canberra to Jindy and Bullocks Flat - at least in the winter. I am sure there must be at least one per day in the summer. From Bullocks you catch the ski tube up to Blue Cow. My understanding is that it does run at least a few times a day in the summer - well , it used to. Stroll down to Guthega. But I doubt there is any public transport to Guthega.

Failing that, the buses usually go to Thredbo, and the quad chairlift runs right through the summer. $22 uplift only. Good place to start.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sat 22 May, 2010 12:29 am

rcaffin wrote:...From Bullocks you catch the ski tube up to Blue Cow. My understanding is that it does run at least a few times a day in the summer - well , it used to.
I was down there over the Xmas break and it wasn't running. I think that has been the case for a few years now in summer.

rcaffin wrote:Failing that, the buses usually go to Thredbo, and the quad chairlift runs right through the summer. $22 uplift only. Good place to start.
$29 return (same day). You can be lucky sometimes. Last visit to Thredbo I walked up Merritts track then out to North Ramshead. On return arrived at Eagles Nest about 5 mins before the last chairlift so asked about buying a ticket. They said forget it, just get on.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT