Water Mt Solitary / ruined castle

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water Mt Solitary / ruined castle

Postby Tantell » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 12:52 pm

Hi all, weather permitting, going for an overnighter next weekend to Mt Solitary.
My main question (noting its been dry but some patchy showers), does anyone know of if there is any current ability to collect water on the summit?

Second question, I've been trying to locate the water tank on the map below ruined castle- is it at the end of the current walk? I'm assuming landslide or other requires crossing top of ruined castle to get to Mt Solitary.

Just trying limit the water weight but not get stuck out.

Cheers
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water Mt Solitary / ruined castle

Postby keithj » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 5:24 pm

Tantell wrote:Hi all, weather permitting, going for an overnighter next weekend to Mt Solitary.
My main question (noting its been dry but some patchy showers), does anyone know of if there is any current ability to collect water on the summit?
When all else is dry, the creek near Melvilles Lookout often has a tiny bit of flow just before it goes over the cliff.
P1090055.jpg

Tantell wrote:Second question, I've been trying to locate the water tank on the map below ruined castle- is it at the end of the current walk?
The tank is at the campsite just before the landslide - 500m from the steps up to Ruined Castle.
Tantell wrote:I'm assuming landslide or other requires crossing top of ruined castle to get to Mt Solitary.
Yes, go via Ruined Castle. Bashing through the fallen trees at the landslide is not recommended
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tantell » Thu 12 Oct, 2023 11:14 pm

Awesome thanks Keith
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 10:45 pm

Tantell wrote: Second question, I've been trying to locate the water tank on the map below ruined castle- is it at the end of the current walk?
keithj wrote:The tank is at the campsite just before the landslide - 500m from the steps up to Ruined Castle.

Tantell wrote:I'm assuming landslide or other requires crossing top of ruined castle to get to Mt Solitary

keithj wrote:Yes, go via Ruined Castle. Bashing through the fallen trees at the landslide is not recommended

Actually the route from the water tanks/campsite has been cleared and it's no longer necessary to walk via ruined castle.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tantell » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 11:13 pm

Oh wow, so we could leave packs at bottom, climb ruined castle, return to packs, do final water refill then continue on to Mt Solitary?
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 15 Oct, 2023 11:00 am

Should be able to
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT