Best of the Blue Mountains in the rain

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best of the Blue Mountains in the rain

Postby InLike » Tue 31 Oct, 2023 3:25 pm

Looks like a wet weekend in the Mountains. I've always loved the short bushwalks on the Kedumba Valley side on wet days when the mist is coming in and out.

Does anyone have any other favourites for wet days that are longer/further off the tourist tracks? I bet the upper reaches of Glenbrook Creek and tributaries are lovely in the rain.
InLike
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best of the Blue Mountains in the rain

Postby ribuck » Tue 31 Oct, 2023 6:36 pm

The open pagoda country between Bell and the Wollangambe Crater is good in rain. Or if the rain has been heavy enough you can visit Goochs Crater which will have become Lake Gooch.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby InLike » Wed 01 Nov, 2023 11:41 am

Thanks - I've done a couple of walks in those parts over the last six months and I don't need much encouragement to get back there. The waratahs are sensational at the moment.

Going in via Bell is a great option too as my 4wd station wagon has been struggling with the fire trails around Gooch's even in the dry.
InLike
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Nov, 2023 11:47 am

Trying to remember walks I've done in the rain, either intentionally or otherwise! Yes those already mentioned should be fine. When you say upper Glenbrook Creek I'm assuming you mean around Springwood/Sassafras Gully etc? That area should also be good. There aren't expansive views at creek level so misting in isn't a problem unless you go up to Bunyan Lookout etc. I've done both in wet weather. Even then misty conditions can roll in and out, as you said. There are some nice waterfalls around there too. Waterfalls in the rain can be stunning and either side of the highway at Lawson is good for those, as are the tracks at Hazelbrook between Horseshoe and Burgess Falls. I've done the several falls in that locality in the rain. Another rainy day I walked most of the tracks around Leura Cascades, which is pretty in the wet. I note that these may be less remote and busy in fine weather but you're often alone in less favourable conditions. Another idea for the wet is Aeroplane Hills off the Ingar fire trail to visit the remains of the Wirraway aircraft wreck from WW2. Also the walk out to Balzer Lookout/Hanging Rock as it's also all fire trail. Years ago we ended up hiking from Pierces Pass to Blue Gum Forest in the rain due to an unexpected storm. It wasn't too bad but you need to be happy to get wet. In fact just about any walk can be done in the wet if you don't mind getting soggy. Not recommended for mid winter in the mountains though. I've given up on the idea of any wet weather gear keeping me dry!
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT