Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Make NSW topo maps

Tue 12 Dec, 2023 10:48 am

This may be of interest for those of you who have used NSWTopo (see this thread: https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9028) in the past, or for those of you who currently use QGIS.

https://github.com/tombrennan06/qgis-nsw-topo

Basically, I've attempted to implement much of what NSWTopo does in QGIS - the main reason being that it's easier to then combine that data with other GIS data in a GIS system.

It still involves Python scripts and some config, so is not for the GIS novice. Some familiarity with QGIS will help.

2023-12-12 11_46_09-_Untitled Project — QGIS.png
2023-12-12 11_46_09-_Untitled Project — QGIS.png (435.93 KiB) Viewed 3186 times

Re: Make NSW topo maps

Sun 17 Dec, 2023 2:50 pm

Very cool Tom! Looking forward to trying it out. Although, I think I might have to make a pull request to fix your upside down contour numbers

Sun 17 Dec, 2023 4:49 pm

Got it working :) This might be a good one to turn into a QGIS plug-in eventually, but easy enough to just open the scripts and run from there per your instructions. I did find though QGIS sometimes froze and then one un-freezing, not all layers were loaded.

topo-rnp.PNG

I also noticed what appeared to be more detailed contours lines?! I wonder what the coverage of those is?

topo-rnp-detailed-contours.PNG
topo-rnp-detailed-contours.PNG (160 KiB) Viewed 2854 times

Sun 17 Dec, 2023 5:03 pm

Just had a quick look at the contour source data and you can see the existence of the more detail contours in many places, mostly in built up areas.

topo-rnp-contours-online.PNG

topo-nn-contours-online.PNG

Shame they didn't include it as a separate layer instead of combining them all together.

Mon 15 Jan, 2024 3:49 pm

Allchin09 wrote:Although, I think I might have to make a pull request to fix your upside down contour numbers

I changed the style at least three times to try to get the contours right! If you can get it to consistently work, go for it!

Allchin09 wrote:I did find though QGIS sometimes froze and then one un-freezing, not all layers were loaded.

I hit that problem myself at times. I don't think I got to the bottom of why. Possibly a timeout on the server? In which case it might need some error handling. Otherwise it might have hit the server limit for features.

Allchin09 wrote:I also noticed what appeared to be more detailed contours lines?! I wonder what the coverage of those is?

More importantly, can they be identified so that they can be styled separately? Separate layer is less important if it's tagged well.

Mon 15 Jan, 2024 8:39 pm

I think you could use the verticalaccuracy field to identify the different contour types. I still think they should be different layers if they overlap, makes it hard to use as a mapservice tile map layer as you can't filter that way! Maybe your code could do something fancy though and seperate them into different ones :)
Post a reply