Filming Locations Interesting for Bushwalking

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Filming Locations Interesting for Bushwalking

Postby eugen » Sat 30 Dec, 2023 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope my question is OK for this section.

About 20 years ago, a Polish-Australian TV series Spellbinder was quite popular among many of us and our children. It's a science fiction children's series about travel to a parallel world. Many parts of it were filmed in & around Sydney, including the Blue Mountains and Camp Coutts.

An important location in Spellbinder is where the "doorway" to the parallel world could be opened. This location features:
  • a tiny, hardly visible waterfall,
  • a cave-like hole in a rock,
  • and some rock engravings in the shape of straight parallel lines - I'm not sure if they were created by Aboriginal people or not.
Does anyone know where it is, at least approximately? It must be somewhere in or around Sydney. I'd like to hike up there one day. :)

Here are some TV screenshots:

eugen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Filming Locations Interesting for Bushwalking

Postby Wollemi » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 12:47 pm

I am reminded of watercourses in the Glenbrook section of Blue Mountains National Park.
Some of the slabs appear damp, and hence slippery at times, as is my experience S of Glenbrook village.
You have to pay a fee to drive into that portion of the National Park, prior to a remote area walk.
In Autumn, there is a fair chance you may meet other bushwalkers there.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Filming Locations Interesting for Bushwalking

Postby johnw » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 9:06 pm

Wollemi wrote:I am reminded of watercourses in the Glenbrook section of Blue Mountains National Park.
Some of the slabs appear damp, and hence slippery at times, as is my experience S of Glenbrook village.
You have to pay a fee to drive into that portion of the National Park, prior to a remote area walk.
In Autumn, there is a fair chance you may meet other bushwalkers there.

I looked at this when originally posted and couldn't work it out. But I think you may be onto something. Some shots do have a Glenbrook Gorge feel about them.

Another location could be any of a number of places around Heathcote Creek. Camp Coutts (scout camp) is mentioned as one of the filming locations.
It's basically inside Heathcote NP on the SE border of the park near Lake Toolooma and Mt Westmacott. I've walked in that area many times.
A few photos look like they could be from around there, one reminds me of the Bullawarring track.
If filming at Camp Coutts it's hard to imagine they would not have used the NP literally at their doorstep.
That said I can't 100% positively identify any specific locations, although the last one looks like the final scramble up Mt Westmacott, a short hike from Camp Coutts.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT