Lighthouse to Lighthouse - Ben Boyd NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lighthouse to Lighthouse - Ben Boyd NP

Postby SteveJ » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 12:11 am

I am going to do the 3 day Lighthouse to Lighthouse walk in Ben Boyd National Park in a month or so. Has anyone done this one?? any info would be grand :D

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lighthouse to Lighthouse - Ben Boyd NP

Postby mountnman » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 9:16 am

I also would like some info on this walk. From what I can see, unless you have two cars for a car shuffle, transport can be difficult...
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lindsay » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 10:40 am

There is some info here: http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... creek.html It does seem like a car shuttle is the only option, unless you turn around and go back the same way. :)
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby mountnman » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 12:11 pm

Actually.... A return trip doesn't sound too bad...... :D
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robl » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 5:29 pm

I was there for 3 nights about a month ago. I didn't car shuffle and my walk was of an exploratory nature. I arrived mid afternoon at Green Cape and after a look around headed N and onto the rocks until cliffs stopped me and so I turned inland to find the walking track. I camped on a ck 3k N of GC.
The following day I walked to the ck about 2k W of Mowarry Point and returned to my pack which I had dropped 1k S of MP. (where I camped) I was on the WT mostly but spent some time photographing, exploring creeks , points, rock platforms, and beaches.
The next day I set out to return to GC and explored more coast and the camping grounds etc., and camped on a rock platform 1k N of GC.
The following morning I kept an appointment at 8.30am in Eden.
The WT is marked approximately on Kiah. Use google to try to locate it accurately. The WT is well sign posted (particularly near the camping grounds at Saltwater and Bittangabee) but is not distinct near MP.

The scrub and rocks are difficult. (off the WT)
I found good water at about 8 places and there are tanks in the camping grounds.

Next time (now I know where the water is) I will be able to take more time to explore and perhaps return along the WT in a day.
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SteveJ » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 12:41 am

I live near by so the transport issue is not really an issue as I can leave a car at Green Cape and get dropped off at the start of the walk. I did the Nadgee walk twice this year and water was a limiting factor until the Febuary rains. This walk sounds a bit better for water, especially this time of year. I am kee , thanks for the info.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 1:15 pm

The light to light walk is one of the most underrated walks, it has great camp sites and the scenery is fantastic and diverse.

I should start by saying that it has been a few years since I walked the track so I would double check with the rangers what the water situation is like.

The first time we completed the walk we started at Ben Boyd tower, walked to Leather Jacket on the first night, the second night we camped at Hegarty's Bay, finishing at Green cape tower. The second time we did the walk in reverse, camping at Hergarty's and at Mowarry point. We found doing the walk in reverse (starting at Green Cape) the preferred option as the length of the days worked for us and allowed us to drive home easily on the last day.

Our preference was to stay away from the car camping spots (Bittangabee & leather Jacket) as both camp sites require you to book (& pay) for a site through NPWS; also water is questionable coming from storage tanks rather than a creek. We camped at Hegarty's and Mowarry point. Hegarty's has a sliight slope so be prepared to sleep up hill, other than that the water has always been secure and the views over the bay fantastic.

Our second camp site was on the beach at Mowarry Point, which was spectacular. It is the perfect camp site and probably my favorite place to camp in Australia (big call I know), it has good water, and the camp site is off the track making it quite, the beach is lovely and their is just enough grass to pitch your tent. If walking from Saltwater beach walk across the point to the northern end, which is sign posted as Mowarry Point, from here the track re enters the trees and if you keep looking north you will see the beach. The track will take you down to a river and actually passes the path to the beach , drop your packs here and follow the main track to the creek to fill up. You will know your at the right area as the creek has a bridge, and after the bridge you walk onto a major road which has a car park area (known as Mowarry bay car park).

The camp is about 4 km from leather jacket.

Hope this helps enjoy the walk.

Cheers Zac
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby SteveJ » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks Zac, great info there

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 10:45 pm

Just did the northern section 2 days ago, I agree Mowarry Point is spectacular but remember to bring water as there is none there (at least at the moment). Having done both north and south sections I can say the North is better - you can do boyd's tower to saltwater ck and return as an easy overnighter, reducing transport issues.
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mountnman » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi SteveJ,

Did you end up doing this walk? How did you go?

I was supposed to be doing the 6 foot track in October with my stepson, but apparently it's a bit "too hard" for an 11 year old, :roll: (I reckon it's ok for this little monkey - He'd have to wait for me to catch up!) so we're looking at doing the Light to Light walk instead.

And does anyone else have any transport ideas? Do any companys run a bus from Green Cape to Boyds Tower? Or vice versa?
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SteveJ » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 4:17 pm

It is on my walk schedual for this spring, (about 6-7 weeks time) I live near by so can get dropped off without too many probs.

It is a bit of a dodgy old unsealed road out to the cape and there is no 'service' running people out there. Sadly it is a two car trip.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT