Road access to Mungo NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Road access to Mungo NP

Postby richard 3926 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:25 pm

Dear all
I am thinking of visiting Mungo NP, as well as some other National Parks with some family members in Outback NSW in the first week of July :D .

We only have a 2WD vehicle (Toyota Avalon to be precise) and were just wondering if anyone on this forum would have any information about the state of the roads in the area, particuarly Arumpo Road from Mildura to Mungo National Park. The best we can find on the NSW Parks website is that the road quality has 'unpaved sections,' which as we all know can mean alot.

A google search on the subject also threw up this blog where someone got really severely bogged :shock: and it required heavy pulling of a passing 4WD to set them free - http://www.valeriebarrow.com/lake-mungo.php

Many thanks - also any other information about the park would be apprieciated, such as the quality of the campsites and visitor facilities. According the to parks website, there are only a few relatively short walks, would any of you know if there are any longer walks (such as day walks) available in the park or surrounding parks in the area?

Many thanks for all this. :) :)
richard 3926
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Re: Road access to Mungo NP

Postby Tony » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Richard,

I did Mungo 10 years ago, and the main road in was very good then, a 2wd would do it easily and there where many 2wd’s in there then, I do not know what it is like when wet but I have been on outback roads when wet and they can be very muddy and slippery but a 2wd driven sensibly usually can get through.

When I was there, there where two main camp sites, the main one near the ranger station and the other on the other side of the lake, this is where we camped and it was beautiful but there was only a pit toilet, no showers etc.

There where no walking tracks then but plenty to do and it was possible then to wander where ever you wanted, a good tip is to do the ranger guided tour early as it showed us what to look for, like the signs of early occupation among the sand dunes, some of the old campsites are between 20000-40000 years old.

It was a great trip and I would live to go back one day.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby photohiker » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:27 am

+1

I've been there a couple of times an there has always been various 2wd vehicles about the place. In good weather you could drive most places on the main tracks if you were careful. If it has been raining, I'd ring the ranger first and take his advice.

Be aware that the roads are dirt and sand and their condition depends on when they were last graded, how much traffic has been on them since, and how much rain has been falling. You would be a lot safer in a 4wd and you really don't want to mess up your nice city car if things go awry.

There's other places to see nearby, especially the filling or full Menindee Lakes and the Kinchega woolshed further north.

Accommodation options are good. You have the option of camping, Staying at the renovated shearer's quarters (my choice) or staying at the 4-5 star Lake Mungo Lodge. The Lodge is great, but its such a contrast to the red dirt and outback nature of the place that I found it too luxurious (!) I wouldn't stay there again.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm

The weather (well in particular the rain)makes all the difference to the road to Mungo. Six years ago we went there, travelled in on the wide sandy road from Balranald without any problems, stopped at the information centre before deciding on the 60km circuit of the park. All was fine as we drove on the sandy road to the lovely Belah camp site, (half way mark of the circuit) and set up our tent in fine conditions. The rain started soon after midnight and by morning it was hard to stand up on the slippery ground. We decided to try and drive out as a couple of 4wd had left earlier. It turned out to be a traumatic experience as we slipped and slid our way on the extremely wet and muddy road. I might add neither of us could say we had experience in 4wdriving, which didn't help, and at one stage our Suzuki Vitara (4wd) did a complete turnaround in a very sedate manner. A bit further on it became bogged and we thought we may be there for the rest of the day and night. Eventually after 2 hours of nerve wracking driving we made it to the Ranger station. He said there had been 20ml of rain overnight and the circuit road was now closed. That was not the end of it unfortunately, the first 15km of the road to Mildura was still pretty bad and we met a young couple whose ute had flipped over, but they were OK. We helped pull the ute back with a rope before driving on. What a relief it was to hit the bitumen near Mildura. So our experience was similar in a way to Valerie Barrow's blog site. I hope to never be in the situation again ! A beautiful place in fine weather BUT my advice is to keep an eye on the forecast.
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:45 am

Yep, it's all weather dependant. I've been in and out via different routes in a 2wd Hilux in dampish conditions and managed fine, but anything more than a light shower or two can turn the roads a bit awkward.
The road from Mildura is the best of them, and takes a fair bit more rain to get boggy, but it's best to keep an eye on the weather and drive slowly.

Brilliant area.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Steven » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 8:36 am

I have visited Lake Mungo a number of times over the last 6 years or so. I have accessed Mungo from the south east (Balranald), south west (Mildura) and north (Pooncarie). It is accessible in a 2WD when the road conditions are DRY - although the roads can be rough depending on the last time the grader paid a visit. If the roads are wet and/or the weather outlook is for rain I would not even try a visit. Even in a 4WD on the red soil roads you will get stuck - a 4WD will simply get you further (into the mud).
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby richard 3926 » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks everyone for your useful advice on this topic. We have decided to put off the trip until September, perhaps the weather will be a bit better then. It does seem from everyone's comments that in dry conditions, the road is fine; otherwise its not even worth going near. Any other comments on this topic about Mungo or any other details are also appreciated.
richard 3926
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT