Looking for advice/suggestions for Blue Mountains Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for advice/suggestions for Blue Mountains Walk

Postby AshmanLS9 » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

My brother and I are planning to spend 3 days bushwalking and camping in the Blue Mountain region from July 21-23rd and I was just wondering how feasible it is to camp during the seemingly coldest month of the winter. We are both in our mid-twenties and have some (but not a lot) of walking and camping experience.

Also, I was wondering if someone could perhaps recommend a particular multiday walk. I've looked at the "Wild Walks" list (http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking/ge ... groupid=26) and so far the following overnight walks look pretty fantastic:

The Six Foot Track
Victoria Falls to Blackheath Station
Blackhealth to Blue Gum Loop
Scenic Railway - Ruined Castle - Mt Solitary - Kedumba River - Wentworth Falls

Neither of us have much experience navigating, so I was hoping to get an idea about whether or not these would be do-able for relative beginners.

Aslo, if anyone can recommend one of these (or for that matter, any other trek) that would be great. I'm not from the area and don't quite know which are the really "must do" walks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Asher
AshmanLS9
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Looking for advice/suggestions for Blue Mountains Walk

Postby Lindsay » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Asher, I can recommend the Mt Solitary traverse from Katoomba to Wentworth Falls (no 4 on your list) I did it back in February and it is easily doable in 2 days but could be stretched out to 3 if you wanted. With the right equipment the cold should not be a problem and the recent rains should ensure a supply of water on top of Mount Solitary as well, however don't take this for granted. There should be a good supply in the Kedumba River but it will need treatment.

The track is well defined and easy walking up to the 'knife edge' leading up the mountain, but can be a little difficult to find in places crossing the mountain top. Not a major problem for anyone with common sense.If you stop and look the track will become apparent. There are good camping places at Chinamans Gully, Singajingawell Creek up on the mountain and the Kedumba River below. The view from the mountain is spectacular. The track down from the east end of the mountain into the Kedumba valley is very steep and needs to be taken with care, but again, nothing overly difficult. The only down side is the long slog along the fire trail up to Kings Tableland and along the road to Wentworth Falls. If you could arrange a lift from the locked gate on the Kedumba Valley Rd beyond the old Queen Victoria Hospital it would save a long and rather boring road bash. Let me know if you would like any other info.

Lindsay
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Turfa » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 6:26 pm

I would second the suggestion fo rthe Mt Solitary traverse. It is a great walk... very easy navigation, spectacular views & some interesting terrain. It's great as an introductory overnight also as you have mobile reception the entire walk, so that will give you an extra level of confidence. Still, don't neglect basic safety, take a map & compass & know how to use them.

The 6 foot track is also a good introductory overnight walk. Not the most scenic walk you will ever do, but certainly one to tick off your list of Blue Mountains walks. Navigation is about as easy as it gets (biggest problem will be knowing which fire trail to follow), plenty of water & even proper dunnies at the campsites. Logistically pretty easy too as you can catch a tour from Katoomba to Jenolan for about $30 & not have to deal with a long car shuffle.

Have a great time.
Cheers,

Chris
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Greenie » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm planning to do the Six Foot Track on those dates. So you could bump into me, if you did that one.
I have done the Scenic Railway to the knife edge. Plan on doing the rest to Wentworth fall. Looks like a good walk also.
Greenie
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Wed 30 Jun, 2010 8:04 pm

Another option is to camp in one of the caravan parks and do daywalks. If you elect this option then make sure you are appropriately equipped for daywalks, with recognition of the severe weather conditions that can be experienced at this time of year. This will also allow you to pick daywalks appropriate for the weather conditions when you arrive. Make sure that you have warm base layers and reasonable wet weather gear. If you search this site you can find good info on gear lists for day and overnight walks.

Info on caravan parks here: http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/yourcouncil/contactus/caravanparks

The caravan park at Blackheath is relatively close to the railway station, which makes it easy to get other places for starting walks further up or lower down the mountains.

I also rate any walk into the Blue Gum forest as a spectacular walk. From the floor of the valley, the views of the imposing cliff lines are astounding.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby johnw » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 12:23 am

AshmanLS9 wrote:Also, I was wondering if someone could perhaps recommend a particular multiday walk. I've looked at the "Wild Walks" list (http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking/ge ... groupid=26) and so far the following overnight walks look pretty fantastic:

The Six Foot Track
Victoria Falls to Blackheath Station
Blackhealth to Blue Gum Loop
Scenic Railway - Ruined Castle - Mt Solitary - Kedumba River - Wentworth Falls

Unfortunately it's unlikely that you would currently be able to do the Blackhealth to Blue Gum Loop as documented in wildwalks.com
See http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/FireClosure.aspx
"The track from Junction Rock to Evans Lookout in the Grose Valley at Blackheath is CLOSED due to landslide."
It's been like that for maybe a year I think; landslip at Beauchamp Falls. I've done a similar overnight trip to that one and it was quite worthwhile.

An alternative is Govetts Leap to Perrys Lookdown via Pulpit Rock and Hat Hill Rd (a couple of Kms dirt road bash), then Perrys Track to Acacia Flat campsite next door to the Blue Gum Forest for an overnight stay. Next day continue on to Junction Rock and exit via the Govetts Leap track to the starting point. A fairly short distance with easy navigation and great scenery. Not difficult, but both the entry and exit tracks into the Grose Valley are very steep and eroded in places. I've left out walking between Govetts Leap and Blackheath township and railway station. If doing that you can either walk along the main road or via the Popes Glen track (much more pleasant). Otherwise it should be possible to arrange a taxi in either direction, although phone reception can a problem at Govetts Leap. However the NP visitor centre is located there and should be able to help (may also be a pay phone, can't quite remember).

I agree with other comments that the Six Foot Track is quite easy and it fits your 3 day schedule. I'd recommend organising transport to/from the start or finish in advance, regardless of which direction you travel. Unless things have changed since I walked it there is no scheduled return bus service from Jenolan without a reservation. If finishing there you could consider combining the walk with visiting the caves afterwards if that appeals to you. A bit of info on my trip is here:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=592&hilit=+six+foot#p3895
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 2:44 pm

For the Six Foot Track,Trolley Tours provide one way trasport for $40 booking via their website http://www.trolleytours.com.au. Also http://www.explorerbus.com.au do the same for $40, pick up at 3pm or 3:45pm. Called them on 1300 300 915 with your credit card details.
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 6:43 pm

The Wolgan Valley is a good starter in the Western Blue Mountains. The turnoff to Wolgan Road is on the Castlereagh Highway at Lidsdale. The drive into the Wolgan Valley from Lidsdale is very fine indeed. The number of walks that can be done from the Wolgan Valley is amazing.

The Pipeline Track is a two day walk which can be done in a day. Normally walkers will stay at Glen Davis and then walk back the following day. Great views from the climb, of the variation of the Gardens of Stone. On the Pipeline Track do not start the climb until you reach the old house steps. Keep going until you reach the steps, there are a few false starts that will take hours to recover from. I know.

On the third day climb Mystery Mountain and also check out the old shale oil site. There is also a rail trail to the glow worm tunnel. Walks start from the huge camping ground at the end of Wolgan Valley. Mystery Mountain has excellent views. From the summit if you walk east for 10 minutes, in trackless country, there are great views looking to the edge of the Colo Wilderness. Mystery Mountain is a gully scramble and not rock climbing.

Baal Bone Gap is another excellent feature of this area. A free download image of the Baal Bone escarpment can used as a desktop from the Colong Foundation for Wilderness site. This image will show you how speccy the western escarpment is.

Some of my photos from the walks that I've mentioned ... http://wildwassa.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2dng9m ... http://wildwassa.deviantart.com/art/Nev ... t-93856723 ... and the top of the climb at Mystery Mountain ... http://wildwassa.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d21h32z

Warren.
WarrenH

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby AshmanLS9 » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 3:02 pm

Thank you guys so much for the great advice!

I think that we will try to do either the Mt Solitary trek or something in the Blue Gum forest, having picked up the appropriate maps and other equipment in Sydney.

As always, any info is appreciated, and I will definitely post pictures/impressions afterwards.

Thanks again.
AshmanLS9
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Turfa » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 7:26 pm

WarrenH wrote: On the Pipeline Track do not start the climb until you reach the old house steps. Keep going until you reach the steps, there are a few false starts that will take hours to recover from. I know.

Warren.

Ha ha....that bought back some vivid menories of my first trip to Newnes. We did exactly that....turned left too early & headed up one of those gullies....... hours of scrub bashing later we return to the river, walk about 400m further along the track & see the stone steps & the Pipeline Track........ felt quite silly !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby flatfoot » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 9:18 pm

AshmanLS9 wrote:Scenic Railway - Ruined Castle - Mt Solitary - Kedumba River - Wentworth Falls

I walked part of this route (in reverse) as a daywalk on Saturday. We started at Kings Tableland at approximately 7:10am and finished at the top of the Golden Stairs at approximately 3:45pm. With boots off the crossing of the Kedumba River was chilly. The walk up 'The Col' was then an interesting challenge. Fortunately the surface was firm underfoot and not muddy. It would have been quite difficult otherwise.

We reached the top of 'The Col' at approximately 10:40am. The views from the eastern end of Mt Solitary with the morning mist still in the valleys were stunning! A great place for a break! I managed to get this shot of the Kedumba Valley shrouded in mist.

P1000472.JPG
Kedumba Valley from eastern end of Mt Solitary

We took our time across the top of Mt Solitary and stopped to pay close attention to the views of Cedar Valley. We lunched at the top of the Korowall Knife Edge. I enjoyed the 20 minute scramble down the rocks. From there it was a relatively brisk walk to the bottom of the Golden Stairs.

It's not a walk I would want to attempt in the reverse direction. The descent down 'The Col' would be quite hard on the knees and quite difficult.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby buggeriamold » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 8:12 am

Hi Flatfoot,

Just wondering if you noticed how the water was looking on Mt Solitary at the moment, as we are looking to do an overnight stop up there in a couple of weeks?
buggeriamold
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flatfoot » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 1:14 pm

buggeriamold wrote:Hi Flatfoot,

Just wondering if you noticed how the water was looking on Mt Solitary at the moment, as we are looking to do an overnight stop up there in a couple of weeks?

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention. It was my first time up on Mt Solitary and hence I'm not familiar with locations where you would find water (and was paying more attention to the views). I'll ask someone that was with me on the walk.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby dancier » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 3:09 am

Last September I was in the Blue Mountains, that's when the dust storm came through. I was primarily riding with a few short walks but did see walkers and climbers on Narrowneck. I used the sites below as a reference for my rides so there might be some info in there that you can use.

http://users.on.net/~fathers/index.htm#rides

http://www.youtube.com/user/thefathippy
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby iandsmith » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 8:20 pm

I liked Flatfoot's idea of day walks, but that's only me.
If you ever do that, consider the National Pass Track, it's one of my favourites.
Enclosing a couple of pics.
Cheers.
Attachments
np28.jpg
Wentworth Falls
np28.jpg (172.48 KiB) Viewed 17742 times
np8.jpg
National Pass trail about halfway
np8.jpg (226.7 KiB) Viewed 17742 times
np20.jpg
Some parts are steeper than others
np20.jpg (237.5 KiB) Viewed 17742 times
np17.jpg
Empress Falls
np17.jpg (249.28 KiB) Viewed 17742 times
np6.jpg
Unnamed falls, only flow when it's wet
np6.jpg (267.83 KiB) Viewed 17742 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks for the photos. It's years since I've been to National Pass. I'll have to check it out.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby north-north-west » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:06 pm

They've put a cage around the ladder!? :shock:
That truly sucks. How are people supposed to freak out properly like that?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby melinda » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:09 pm

lol
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda