Best path to attack "The Pilot" ?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best path to attack "The Pilot" ?

Postby snowgum » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi All, I'm planning an ascent of The Pilot in late November and want to know if anybody has been there recently and can recommend an ascent route. We're coming in from Dead horse gap via Carter's Hut. thanks.
snowgum
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best path to attack "The Pilot" ?

Postby WarrenH » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 1:11 pm

G'day, I've not climbed Mount Pilot but I do have the Alpine Walking Track guide book.

In the guide book it shows the turnoff/route to the summit starting approximately 150m south of where the upper reach of Pilot Creek crosses the Cowombat Fire trail. The track/climb then heads ESE of the summit until the summit is almost due south of the track and the final ascent appears as though you keep slightly to the right of the summit.

I hope you have good weather and take lots of shots.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 8:54 pm

There is no track up The Pilot. A lot of footpads and brumby pads, but no actual track.

The easiest route from the north is to head due east (compass east, don't worry about any adjustments) from the head of the creek on the Cowombat Fire Trail. This is about one km past the Cowombat Ridge turnoff (Snowgum Fire Trail). There is a usually dry shallow gully above the fire trail, and a boggy, reedy bit below.
From there, due east, towards the low point of the saddle, slowly curving around southerly up the ridge. Just take the line of least resistance. The scrub's fairly open, the only blockages due to fallen trees. Once you're up on the north-south ridge, it's an easy scramble to the summit.
It is also possible to climb the ridge almost directly due south from the fire trail to the Little Pilot, then just follow it down to the saddle and up to the Pilot itself. Harder work on the lower sections, but fun. To do this, you leave the fire trail about three km beyond Tin Mine Creek crossing, where it passes over the lower point of the ridge.

Wonderful place to camp, although it can get a bit breezy up there.
b00234.jpg
Camp on The Pilot

b00272.jpg
First light from the summit

b00252.jpg
Early morning
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby snowgum » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks for both replies, especially for the photos. I've been visiting this area with friends over the past 5 years and can't get enough. Last year we went to Tin Mine Falls, however this year, The Pilot. I'd also like to explore more of the Mt Jagungal area, but they may have to wait til 2011. Again, Thanks!
snowgum
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 9:01 am

Hey there
Not sure if you have done your trip already but I went out to the Pilot on the weekend (19 Nov to 21 Nov). There are about 40-60 trees blocking the firetrail between Bobs Ridge and Tin Mine Hut - all negotiable but it will slow you down. The views from The Pilot were sensational - also lots of normally dry side creeks are flowing (including the one that you follow to the Pilot saddle). Have a great trip!
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT