Longpoint to Shoalhaven camping?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Longpoint to Shoalhaven camping?

Postby juju » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi - does anyone know what it's like for camping on the Shoalhaven down from Longpoint? It looks a good first overnighter for a 10 year old. Thanks, Julie.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Longpoint to Shoalhaven camping?

Postby melinda » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 8:27 am

Hi juju,
I haven't walked down Longpoint but I have walked down to the river from Badgerys and from Bungonia gorge.
I've passed the camp ground at the bottom of Longpoint.
Its big, lots of room. The river is lovely.
I have heard its a long haul up and down Longpoint so I'd make sure the 10year old was carrying a very light pack and the weather was not too hot.
Not sure it would be the easiest 'first overnighter' for a 10 year old unless said kid enjoys hills.
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby juju » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 9:53 am

Hi Melinda, thanks for your reply. You seem to know a bit about the area, have you any other suggestions? I'm meeting a friend from Melbourne end of September and her daughter who are keen to do an overnight. Since I'm in Bellingen, Moreton, Budawangs, Deau are about halfway. As she might come by train to Goulbourn or by car to the coast, (so we could be round the other side). I'm looking for ideas. After an overnight with her I was planning to go round the coast and walk in the Budawangs with my 14 yr old. Thanks, Julie.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby buggeriamold » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Julie,

We have used this walk for a first walk for our Scouts.

Its a bit of a plod on the way out, but if you manage the pack weight most kids do ok.

There are a multitude of good camp sites on the river, we normaly drop packs at the base of the spur, have a look up & down the river & let the kids pick their favorite.

Great spot!
buggeriamold
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby juju » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 7:34 pm

Ta... Buggeriamold? for short? How's the water down there? - Pics look a little iffy, but a nice spot. Do you treat the water or take some? Is it hard going to get to Ottawa ck? for water) Am I missing a nicer walk in that area? Sorry so many questions Julie
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melinda » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 9:37 pm

Juju,
I'd definitely be boiling the Shoalhaven water or treating it somehow.
The Shoalhaven has a lot of farms close by in that area.
Starlights trail (from near Hilltop) down to McArthurs Flat on the Nattai River is quite spectacular and wouldn't be to hard for youngsters. Could be a nice easy overnighter. (Not too far from Goulburn)
Spectacular clifflines. Not too much height involved. There is an old campstove ???? on wheels to be explored.
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Postby juju » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks Melinda, got a few leads now, Julie
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 12:46 am

melinda wrote:Juju,
I'd definitely be boiling the Shoalhaven water or treating it somehow.
The Shoalhaven has a lot of farms close by in that area.
Starlights trail (from near Hilltop) down to McArthurs Flat on the Nattai River is quite spectacular and wouldn't be to hard for youngsters. Could be a nice easy overnighter. (Not too far from Goulburn)
Spectacular clifflines. Not too much height involved. There is an old campstove ???? on wheels to be explored.

I agree, we've overnighted at Macarthurs Flat/Emmetts Flat (next to the old farm equipment/stove) and visited numerous other times on day trips. The descent only gets signifcantly steep for the last 500m or so. You can also make a circuit by returning via the old Troys Creek track instead of Starlights. This bumps the total distance up to about 17km though. Unfortunately the Nattai R is also definitely polluted. I've always carried water in there; heard too many horror stories.

Another option at Bungonia SCA that might be OK for keen/fit kids is the Trestles track (blue track). The access road in to it starts just outside the park and is nominally 4WD only. Haven't visited for about 18 months and I believe that you may now only be able to drive as far as the Stan Jones car park. We usually start from there anyway and it's then about a 7 or 8 km return walk to the river. Steep in parts but possibly a little less so than most other Bungonia gorge walks. Yet to camp there but there's a great site by the river as soon as you hit the bottom. We've often waded the Shoalhaven R. near there and walked to "the chimneys" (old copper mine ruins) nearby. You can explore around there. I wouldn't collect water at that location or pick stuff up from the ground as there's a possibility of remaining arsenic content from the previous mining activity.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hicliff » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 7:59 am

A good first time overnighter in the same area is Griffins Farm Morton National Park -Fire Trail access from the NPWS gate on Jacks Corner Rd.Kangaroo Valley. The return walk out is not too steep-camp sight is an old revegtating farm from the 50's.I've drunk the water (Yarrunga Crk) with tablet treatment of several occassions with no bad effects.The camp site is visited by wombats and Kangaroos so great for kids.Good luck.Approx.8km one way
hicliff
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT