Access to Popran NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access to Popran NP

Postby Greenie » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 7:22 pm

Today I went for a walk in Popran National Park to Big Jim's Point. I parked on the side of the pacific hwy just near where the F3 passes over it, about 1 k south of Mt White. From the notes I had, I should have been able to gain access via a track. But this track is now on private propertly. So I had to access the park a few hundred metres south by crossing two barbed wire fences. It appears by the tracks that others used this access also today.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this section of the park. There must be a better way gain entry?

Thanks
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Access to Popran NP

Postby roysta » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 9:49 am

You can go to the trouble of getting permission from the landowner to enter but frankly I believe it's a pain in the neck.
Where you entered, a couple of hundred metres south next to a Freeway pylon is a good spot and is used by many.
OK, you have to get through a couple of fences, but really, in the scheme of things, it's not too great an ask to get to see a nice section of this park.
I spoke to NPWS in Gosford a while ago about entry and I know they have plans to put an entry gate in around that pylon.
But, like everything with NPWS, it might or might not happen.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Access to Popran NP

Postby Greenie » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks. Now I don't feel like I missed the entry somehow

There were some survey markers, they looked new. So maybe they are going to something sooner than later.
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT