Walking in the budawangs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walking in the budawangs

Postby mountnman » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 9:05 am

I have done a few day walks in the budawangs (mt bushwalker, rusden head, long gully to monolith valley), and was wondering what people think are the best 2 or 3 day routes, mostly on track or easy navigation. I have been looking at going to folly point, wog wog to corang arch to corang river, camping around gadara point or harper head (are there suitable campsites there?). Any ideas?
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Walking in the budawangs

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:56 pm

Some ideas:
From Wog Wog you can do a three day walk past Corang Arch, following the track past the camping caves in Burrumbeet Brook all the way to Monolith Valley. There is an overused, sad looking campsite just before you drop down into the saddle that leads across to Mt Cole and Mt Owen (other nicer camping options exist if it's a small group). You could do it as one day walk in, day trip to Monolith, one day walk out. Lots of guidebooks cover this one.

Also think about the northern part of the park. A bit of a nuisance to access now since NPWS put the barrier 7km up the road from Newhaven Gap. However if you are don't mind a bit of fire trail walking there are some nice trips to Quilities Mt and Hidden Valley.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby WarrenH » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 4:52 pm

If you take on Folley Point, make sure that you are well covered ... there is much prickly Hakea.

The Redgrounds track from the Endrick River Road to Vines Creek and then returning along Quilty's Mountain Firetrail is some of the best fire trail walking that I know. It is single and double track and not the usual wide graded firetrails. It is easy, its very pretty, excellent water, unusual clearings and a vineforest rainforest at the Vines. Quilty's clearing has hundreds of Grasstrees. You can climb Quilty's mountain check out the Bora Ground overlooking Mount Sturgiss and exit Quilty off Binnari Pass, the NW point of Quilty. Binnari Pass requires throwing packs and a bit of jumping from stack to stack. Very speccy though. Binnari is the NW point off Quilty and you can't fail to find it.

There is another pass called Quilty's Pass that also leads back to Quilty's Mountain Fire Trail, I've not done it. The notorious Quilty brothers in 1890 blasted the northern pass with dynamite to make it easier for them to drive cattle. They must have been good days in the Budawangs, those days of big explosions. Quilty's Pass must be steep, because the cattle refused to go up it.

I've done the walk over Binnari Pass and I have also walked and ridden the fire trails on my bike several times. You could ride your bikes in and then go walking and gully scrambling. If you are walking comfortably, you can detour into Hidden Valley and climb Mount Sturgiss. The climb to Sturgiss summit is from just south of the old camping cave in the southern end of the valley. From the cave follow the path through the saddle and make your way to the top, keeping to the left. The view looking south over Style's Creek and Sallee Creek to Mounts Hoddle and Tarn is excellent and then walk along the western cliff line to Pagoda Rocks on the SW of Sturgiss. Exit Sturgiss the same way.

I normally park at the closed gate on the Endrick River Road, but others drive through the gate and make their way closer to the Endrick River before starting. The park boundary is crazy here, it is most irregular and you can be in or out of the park several times, without knowing it. Bikes are only allowed on the Redground Track, Quilty's Mountain Fire Trail and Newhaven Gap road. Everywhere else is a no go for bikes.

The Redgrounds Track below Mount Sassafras has first class scenery ... to discover.

If you do consider this walk and don't have the Budawang Sketch Map, these are the approximate locations to start the climb, to the Bora Ground and for Quilty's Pass.

Start of the climb .. 35°12' 08"S 150°12' 12"E
The Bora Ground ... 35°12' 08"S 150°13' 33"E

Quilty's Pass ........ 35°10' 27"S 150°11' 45"E

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby PeterJ » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 5:55 pm

WarrenH wrote:The Redgrounds track from the Endrick River Road to Vines Creek and then returning along Quilty's Mountain Firetrail is some of the best fire trail walking that I know. It is single and double track and not the usual wide graded firetrails. Warren.

I took a copy of your earlier posting on The Castle and noted that you liked the approach from Endrick. I am now contemplating starting there and taking in some of the sites you mention and then go the Hidden Valley. Hopefully mid September. I went to Monolith from Wog Wog in 2008 so it would be nice to see the area north of there.

Any comments, suggestions and photos would be great.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby WarrenH » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 6:05 pm

Peter, G'day Mate.

Being a Black Snake, I'm for ever vigilante of the presence of Bora Snakes.

What I'd be likely to do, is hide in the warm temperate vegetable tunnel in The Vines ... with all the other Black Snakes.

... I could morph into a Monkey Vine or a Lawyer Vine at The Vines. It isn't like I'd be making a major change of my shape ... or anything.

...and after resting and building up my energy, I'd check out this faint track, to see if it leads to the fissure in the cliff face. It could be Quiltey's Pass and I'd climb Quiltey's Mountain if it is, and I'd confront the Bora Snake and the Bora Roo.

... another option after Hidden Valley is to slither further south, cross Style's Creek, visit and pay respect to the memory of Hoddle and Houghton ... and then get right into it.

I hope this helps.

Warren.

PS, I've been confronted by a pack of dogs while I was on all fours drinking at the crossing at Styles Creek. On the sandy tracks, perhaps keep an eye-out for paw prints. The dogs were timid ... or, they were. You will possibly see paw prints on several of the tracks. Always where the soft sand builds-up, along the edges of the tracks.

PSS, I've seen other, more disturbing tracks out that way too, at the headwaters of the Endrick River where the river flows over slip-rock sandstone on the Redgrounds Track. One looked like a Maxxis Rendez on the front and the other a Maxxis Crossmark on the rear.

WarrenH

Postby juju » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 8:46 am

Best trip report! Julie
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks very much for the information Warren, it is greatly appreciated. Enjoyed the photos and looking forward to my visit there.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 11:24 am

Peter, you are most welcome.

Bora grounds are on Quiltey, Sturgiss and Shrouded Gods. Apart from Quiltey where (Canberra) bushwalkers (in particular) rearranged the stones into a tall cairn, a Bora Roo and a Bora Emu, to be helpful to future visitors, Sturgiss and Shrouded Gods sacred grounds are more difficult to identify. Some walkers say.

The original mapping of Quiltey's Bora ground in 1932 by C.C. Towel didn't show a cairn, a roo and an emu. The Bora stones on Quilty are the sandstone found on Quilty.

If you do climb Sturgiss? ... keep an eye out for the quartzite boulders hidden in the moss and sitting starkly against the dark sandstone capping. The quartzite boulders are only found on the bed of the Clyde River, a long way below. Someone must have carried the quartzite stones that are on the far side of Sturgiss, to the summits of Sturgiss and like-wise onto Shrouded Gods.

Good luck have a great trip.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed 08 Sep, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 11:52 am

G'day All.

I was talking to a 'Smoky the Bear' this morning, and I asked about the state of the road from Sassafras turnoff to Newhaven Gap. Smoky said, "The road is closed."

I asked, "Is it the Mud from Hell that has caused the closure?" (the mud from hell, is going into Newhaven Gap after rain. Basalt clay mixed with sand, just after Sassafras) and Smoky replied, "After Sunday's storm, the Budawangs are closed." "The park is closed?" says I. " The park is completely closed in the wilderness area!", said Smoky.

The Budawangs have been declared a natural disaster area. The wilderness area has been placed on a low priority list to to be reopened. The park is closed until further notice. It is on the Morton home page under Closures.

I didn't say what I was thinking to Smoky, being a gentleman and all ... so I kept to myself, This is a predictable and typical NSWP&WS culture of fear, over a few fallen trees. Totally typical!

No one from NSW National Parks has been into the Budawangs to assess if there is damage. The Budawangs have been closed just in case trees have fallen over. At some stage, but not in the near future, the Budawangs will be assessed for damage and possible danger. Doing this assessment, has a low priority, I've been told.

The planet is a changing artefact. Some might find this disturbing and should stay in-doors! ... but trees have been falling for at least 250,000,000 years around this escarpment. I might have to go and buy a picture book about NSW National Parks' warning against change, but 'Caution! Read this book at your own risk, there's a possibility of paper cuts!'

I'm just waiting for the patronising NSW Parks Administration to start calling themselves Gods and not just playing at being Gods and to start justifying to us why protecting us from mother nature and ourselves is important to them ... because they value our lives more than we do?

Warren.

PS, For the kiddies out there, Smoky the Bear was a paranoid Park Ranger who lived in Canada. He appears to have developed a dangerous cult following over here. Once upon a time, we even went into the trackless wilderness to be brave, then National Parks made tracks, ordered us to stay on them, so that they could close them. Heavens forbid, trees are falling over in the Australian bush, what next. I wonder if on the treeless plateaus in the Budawangs, one metre high shrubberies have been known to fall on people?
WarrenH

Postby PeterJ » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for the information Warren; not that it is welcome news. It mucks up my plans for later on this month. i guess I can just hope the closure is lifted by then.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 6:14 pm

PeterJ wrote:Thanks for the information Warren; not that it is welcome news. It mucks up my plans for later on this month. i guess I can just hope the closure is lifted by then.

Or, just go.
climberman

Postby michael_p » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the heads-up WarrenH. NPWS really are turning into the fun police. :(

Bugger, I and some others have planned a walk in the Budawangs for October. Will have to wait and see now.

May have to start to think of some alternatives.

Regards,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juju » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:44 am

I was heading down there for walkies in a couple of weeks also. I talked to the fella at Bungonia on the phone last week when all was well before the bad weather. It's that modern disease - Freedom and Adventure Induces Liability and Litigation...or F.A.I.L.L
Last edited by juju on Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:54 am

Peter, so as not to be disappointed, with one aspect of your trip to the mainland, there is also the Yodeller Range and Widden (truly amazing country) and the Gardens of Stone from either Newnes or Glen Davis. These areas have many similarities to the Budawangs.

Both have good climbs, spectacular views, rugged isolation with good access roads and not many people walking.

Both Newnes and Glen Davis have good camp grounds and accommodation. Newnes- Newnes Hotel. Glen Davis - Oskas Cottage. Widden is bush camping and on Nulla Mountain there is accommodation at High Tweeters, if you walk that far, from Myrtle Grove.

For good info on both of these regions David Noble, who is a member on BA Forum, has great stuff on his home page. Spectacular photos.

http://www.david-noble.net/BlueMts/Widden/Widden1.html

http://www.david-noble.net/BlueMts/Widd ... Range.html

... and check out David's home page.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby Jellybean » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:21 am

michael_p wrote:Thanks for the heads-up WarrenH. NPWS really are turning into the fun police. :(

Bugger, I and some others have planned a walk in the Budawangs for October. Will have to wait and see now.

May have to start to think of some alternatives.

Regards,
Michael.

Think you'll be ok. More info here: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0022

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:22 am

PeterJ wrote:Thanks for the information Warren; not that it is welcome news. It mucks up my plans for later on this month. i guess I can just hope the closure is lifted by then.

Hi,

You may be ok. See: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0022

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Prospero » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi
Emerged out of there yesterday afer a few nights in the budawangs. The beginning of newhaven gap road is being re-graded but you should be able to slip through. plenty of red mud around still. Couple of new fallen trees over the vine - styles ck section to crawl around/over/under. Its a great place. warrens photos capture it marvelously.
Prospero
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby climberman » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 8:10 pm

Jellybean wrote:

Hi,

You may be ok. See: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0022

Cheers,

JB

how are they proposing to even begin enforcing this ? I mean, how many folks go to the Shoalhaven from below the Endrick Falls !
climberman

Postby WarrenH » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 9:32 pm

Prospero, it is good to read that you made it out of the Floodawangs, un-squashed. After talking to the Ulladulla Rangers, you should be dead Mate ... who would have though? When a NSW Park Ranger says, "... The Budawangs have been declared a natural disaster area,it's too dangerous to enter," one should show the Rangers a bit of sympathy and go and buy a soft toy off them at the Kangaroo Falls retail outlet and then send them a white feather.

Thank you for your kind comment about my images, it's much appreciated.

Climberman, Well, I wouldn't ever expect to see a NSW National Parks Ranger go anywhere that's scary or slightly life threatening ... like more than 50 metres from any Parks' retail outlet. These frauds wouldn't have a clue about what happens in our parks except for when the bins need emptying at camping grounds ... and they don't even do that well.

There has not ever been one square centremetre in a NSW National Park that I know of, that has been a no go zone.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 6:47 pm

Oh, I don't know. I remember being up by the Snowy River during the big fires some years back. A good many parts of the Byadbo Wilderness (just for starters) were 'no-go' areas to anyone with a soupcon of commonsense or self-preservation.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 14 Sep, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby WarrenH » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 7:59 pm

you know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't take me for an idiot.

Warren.

Admin: Post edited to comply with site rules
WarrenH

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 8:28 pm

Actually, I'm not at all sure what you meant, which is why I commented as I did. There are obviously times, such as the one I mentioned, when one does not go into certain areas for safety reasons.

Admin: Post edited to remove references to content deleted from earlier post(s).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby AceCactus » Fri 17 Sep, 2010 7:23 am

Had to join up to reply to this.
Spent that weekend in a cave- Mt Hoddle area. Only realized once we got out the amount of damage in the shoalhaven. We were fine, seemed far safer in there -than out.

On NPWS side- the whole region was declared a natural disaster so what can they do but close the park. Have to be seen doing the right thing ,complying to other govt agency(ses) policy, covering their backsides.

Anyway glad to join up, only discovered the site recently, always good to exchange and read good info and experiences.
AceCactus

Postby juju » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 9:19 am

Spoke to NPWS Thursday. They're hoping all the parks will be open by early next week. Monday maybe.
And...it's very difficult to tell the emotion behind the message in a post sometimes eh? Is that what these are for? :D :P :twisted: :evil: :?
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:06 am

Welcome aboard Ace !
climberman

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:35 am

Note that a series of posts in this topic have been edited or completely removed in order to either comply with forum rules, or to remove references to other posts that were edited to comply to forum rules. An official warning has also been issued to one member as per the site moderation guidelines.

Please keep further discussion in line with site rules. If anyone is unhappy with other people's posts please either resolve it amicably, ignore it, or report it (using the "!" icon at the top of each post).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby WarrenH » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 4:45 pm

Nik, well excuse me Sir?

I thought that freedom of speech underpinned Democracy. The verb underpin means "to support."

While you suppress freedom of speech, with your nanny rules, I can only view you as a control fascist.

I saw your note to me. I will not be a lackey to any close minded fascist controlled Moderator. I'll ban myself, before you will ever do.

Grow some Democratic balls Mate. Your lame-arsed attitude to free speech is pathetic. Good by.

Warren.

PS, To others, fair winds. It was nice chatting. Take care.
WarrenH

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Warren,

I thought I was quite polite and reasonable in that note to you, so I find your attitude in your last post above rather odd.

By the way, I've never pretended there was any democracy on this site and the site rules in relation to "freedom of speech" have not changed much since you made the decision to join the community here.

I'm genuinely sorry you are upset by the way I've tried to apply those rules, but I also genuinely believe that this site is run with the best interests of the community at heart.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:05 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to leave the locked for so long. It's unlocked now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mountnman » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 12:26 pm

Just to update everyone I ended up going from Wog Wog Entrance to Canowie Brook, via Corang Peak and Corang Arch. Hopefully next time I will have more time and will be able to go all the way to Coyoyo Camp.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT