Water in the Budawangs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water in the Budawangs

Postby LeftRightShoot » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 11:04 am

Gday,

Saw this post: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4865&p=57958&hilit=the+castle#p57958 which has been locked :(

Im interested in locations for reliable potable water (or as close as one can expect in these parts) between Nerriga and Hidden Valley and then from Hidden Valley south to The Castle (close as possible to the marked trails)

I see lots of watercourses on my map but then read stories about people having to drink "from the drops forming in caves"

Does the sketch map shed any light on this? I also note that a trail from Hidden Valley to The Castle appears on the latest 25k topo. Any comments on the condition of this trail are welcomed also.

Any help appreciated.

Chris.

PS: WarrenH: I'd love to chat to you about that bike you saw in there ;-)
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Water in the Budawangs

Postby juju » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 12:53 pm

HI Chris, was down there the week before last, just before they declared the park open again - we drove into Long Gully Wed 22nd and we were astounded at the amount of debri that had been cleared from the road. Some big trees fell across the road, it must have been a mess a week before. Two days later we walked into Cooyoyo Creek camp (where we were surprised to find a toilet) via Kalianna Ridge. there was plenty of water in the creek. The following day we went into Monolith Valley to Seven gods and found water all along the way, small creeks and drips from overhangs. Of course the storms could have topped things up a bit.
We had the place to ourselves the first night (Friday) but then Saturday about 10 people arrived and Sunday on the way out these were replaced with 10 more - (school holidays). The sketch map doesn't really help much with info on water.
It still never ceases to amaze me now people will have their campfires no matter what the price. We had some heavy winds while at Cooyoyo and one party got a huge blaze going (with hardly a dead stick in sight), even though the place has been over camped and needs some tlc.
It would be quite a walk from Hidden Valley (camping at Styles Creek, where I've read ther is water)) to The Castle. Going by the easily found track/route from The Castle to Seven Gods and the amount of people using the park I reckon it would be easily navigable.
The sketch map shows many more tracks than the toppo of course eg. one between Mt Owen and Mt Cole. There were dozens of tracks going across Nibelung Pass to Owen. NParks are attempting to get people to use one route.
If you stay at Cooyoyo (high on a cliff), make sure you see the view from the lookout just east of the camp. Julie
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Robatman » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 8:57 am

I've only done two walks around there-Castle and Monolith valley and both in Feb where it was really hot and water was scarce. There aren't too many spots or obvious points for water, but if you find a pool i'd recommend filtering it. i guess it all depends on the time of year.
Robert
Robatman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 9:06 pm

I've unlocked the other topic. I meant to unlock it long ago but forgot. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby juju » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 7:02 am

Forgot to mention the track through Monolith Valley to the Castle is a bit of a clearly defined goat track, sometimes there are multiples of it, just keep a steady course. I have yet to purchase Ron Doughton's book/guide for the Budawangs. I've heard it's the best source of information and might help you with information about water availability.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT