Werrikimbe overnight?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Werrikimbe overnight?

Postby juju » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi all, has anyone any suggestions for overnighters in the Werrikimbee National Park? Considering Mount Werrikimbe 32k return but may have a couple of newbies and so don't want to carry heavy packs (water). Thanks, Julie.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Werrikimbe overnight?

Postby kanangra » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 6:12 am

ever considered the Hastings Gorge? Now there's a trip. Very wild.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juju » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 9:30 am

We did a tame old walk to the Hastings from Cobcroft, fire trails. It would probably be a nice walk in spring when there is something other than the road to see. When you get to the river at the bridge (camp) there may be a scrambling route down to falls. There was a trail of to the left a bit before the bridge which isn't on my map and may go to a better campsite.
Trouble is a mixed group with a couple of new to overnighting, some who like a scramble and some in between.
I wonder about the Kunderang Brook also and according to a walk book I have there is a trail across to the Mesa Plateau to the top of the Hastings River Gorge - must be on 'Seaview' topo, is this the access route to the gorge?
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:17 am

kanangra wrote:ever considered the Hastings Gorge? Now there's a trip. Very wild.

K

Have you been down in the Gorge Kanangra? I was talking to a worker from Parks while we were there last month. He said to follow the ridge before the Hastings bridge on the Werrikimbe Trail walking East.
We ended up doing an easy overnight from Mooraback to Racecourse, a favoured walk of a local whose track notes for Werrikimbe we had with us. It was a very hot day when we set out through the open grassland from Mooraback. The track has one steepish climb just past the creek crossing near the beginning and one long downhill at the other end just before the Racecourse. There were some nice wildflowers and a lovely eucalypt forest on the way. At the other end my sister and I climbed down to the Kunderang for a refreshing swim in the flooded brook.
I was crook that night (I did drink untreated water but it could've been another sort of bug) and didn't enjoy getting up in the night but at least the next day was a cooler return walk in my depleted state.
The ranger has sent me information about other walks in the area I'm keen to check out including a new hut to hut (very posh for up here) walk called the 'Green Gully Track'. It's a four day walk in the Apsley Mackley Gorge for which there is a lovely full colour glossy leaflet, nice honeymoon walk...
I'm keen to explore along the Kunderang Brook to the north (part of the National Trail) also.
It's too hot for Werrilimbe now...
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:36 am

Some pics, Julie
Mooraback trl near Racecourse sml.JPG
Eucalypts near the Racecourse
Kunderang Brook at Racecourse.JPG
Kunderang Brook near the Racecourse
Racecourse.JPG
The Racecourse
Werrikimbewildflower.JPG
Werrikimbe wildflower
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Sun 12 Dec, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes i have. Got benighted in there once. Can be done without ropes. But if so then a lot of high sidling is required. Very rugged.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT