Mt Kosci water quality?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Kosci water quality?

Postby iaindtiler » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 6:50 am

Hi all. am planning on spending 3 days in and around mt Kosci and Perisher valley between xmas and new years. i have heard the water quality is not great at the moment, and i will need tablets. if that is the case, can someone reccommend the best tablets without completely ruining the taste. many thanks
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Mt Kosci water quality?

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:29 am

I've always used micropur tablets. Work well and no taste. :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Kosci water quality?

Postby wildwalks » Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:50 pm

Yep I would treat the water, it is much easier then dealing with possible consequences of not treating the water :)
If you want to spend the extra dollars you can get UV lights that treat the water.
Great for clear water like this. They are heavier then tablets, but not taste or chemicals. And the lights are fast to treat the water.

I generally use tablets and cycle through a few different types (just so I am not getting the same chemicals all the time). As Bluegum Mic suggested the micropur tabs are good. I don't mind the iodine based ones. I sometimes take come powdered cordial or sports drink mix to hide the flavor, I still can taste it. Micropur takes about 2 hrs to do it full job though. Puritabs I think are quicker (but stronger taste). In cold water chemical treatments will need more time.

Have a great time, watch out for sun burn and do prepared for whiteouts.

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Kosci water quality?

Postby iaindtiler » Sun 28 Nov, 2010 1:05 pm

cheers much for the advice folks. i like the idea of cordial to diguise the flavour. cheers again
iaindtiler
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT