Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT

Postby LeftRightShoot » Wed 08 Dec, 2010 12:14 pm

Gday,

I was wondering what the track condition is like coming down Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT onto Geehi Dam Rd. Any help appreciated.

c.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT

Postby wildwalks » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 9:10 am

cnschulz wrote:I was wondering what the track condition is like coming down Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT onto Geehi Dam Rd. Any help appreciated.

Hi cnshulz
I have not walked this trail, be worth contacting the rangers to ask. I have walked on sections further north and it was a very clear and wide trail. I have driven past the Pinnicle trail where it hits Olsens Rd (AKA Geehi Dam Rd), and it was queit clear there as well. BUT beware that Olsens Rd is Closed due to rain damage http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkFireClosure.aspx?id=N0018. I can also only assume that this means there was also damage to the trail you are looking at walking on.
Assuming you are looking at walking from Jagungal?? You could also go via Valentines, Schlinks Pass to Munyang. Just an alternative thought.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 11:57 am

Hey there
I've done that firetrail a few years ago - as part of a loop from Munyang/Grey Mare hut/Schlink Pass. Must admit it was a means to an end - ie not that memorable. There were a few good views on the north approach to Grey Mare Mountain - beyond Grey Hill it was a steep descent. We didn't get good water until we got back down to the Geehi river, nothing on Grey Mare - in fact we had to push on to the Geehi to camp - only flat spot for miles and it had water. But it was a dry year so things may be different now.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby LeftRightShoot » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:46 pm

wildwalks wrote:
cnschulz wrote:I was wondering what the track condition is like coming down Grey Mare / Pinnacle FT onto Geehi Dam Rd. Any help appreciated.

Hi cnshulz
I have not walked this trail, be worth contacting the rangers to ask. I have walked on sections further north and it was a very clear and wide trail. I have driven past the Pinnicle trail where it hits Olsens Rd (AKA Geehi Dam Rd), and it was queit clear there as well. BUT beware that Olsens Rd is Closed due to rain damage http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkFireClosure.aspx?id=N0018. I can also only assume that this means there was also damage to the trail you are looking at walking on.
Assuming you are looking at walking from Jagungal?? You could also go via Valentines, Schlinks Pass to Munyang. Just an alternative thought.

Thanks Mat, Valentines is exactly what we are doing. Just going through there with a few newbies who prefer open trails - ie not fighting through bush or over loose rock. Steep is ok.

ta.

c.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:54 pm

Cool, enjoy. It sounds like it is a bit soggy up there at the moment.
Great way to spoil people new to bushwalking :) I am sure they will love it.

wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby LeftRightShoot » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:57 pm

LAMEA-Gals wrote:Hey there
I've done that firetrail a few years ago - as part of a loop from Munyang/Grey Mare hut/Schlink Pass. Must admit it was a means to an end - ie not that memorable. There were a few good views on the north approach to Grey Mare Mountain - beyond Grey Hill it was a steep descent. We didn't get good water until we got back down to the Geehi river, nothing on Grey Mare - in fact we had to push on to the Geehi to camp - only flat spot for miles and it had water. But it was a dry year so things may be different now.

ta. was it generally open walking? see my other reply below... sorry i missed yours!
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:33 am

Yes the fire trail was open and easy to follow.

You may know this already but ....at Valentines hut you can cross the river and go via the firetrail towards Grey Mare Hut and the Grey Mare Mountain firetrail turnoff. Or you can take the narrow track that goes steeply down via the falls and cut back north along the tussock plains to rejoin the main fire trail. If your group wants open walking avoid option 2. Its much shorter and the views of the falls are great but after the fires the regrowth was pretty nasty.

Enjoy your walk - you probably won't see too many people on the Grey Mare Mountain leg.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT