Australia's Ten Highest Peaks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Australia's Ten Highest Peaks

Postby climberman » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 6:04 am

Tony (I think it was) mentioned in another thread recently doing a walk covering these (and they are discussed here: http://www.aussie10.com/). it's a lovely idea and a mate and I are considering a nice long day doing these in March or early April. Anyone who's done this as a single go, which route did you use ? I'm looking at starting from the CP carpark. Looks like a really wonderful construct for a day out.

Thanks in advance.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Australia's Ten Highest Peaks

Postby mountnman » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 8:04 am

I went through my archives and found my July/August 2007 Outdoor Australia Magazine, where Andrew Bain wrote an article on bagging Australias 10 highest peaks in 3 days.

He started and finished at thredbo, but the first peak he bagged was Mt Twynam, going past Charlotte Pass (which is where I would start my trip). It's a good article if you can a copy of that magazine.

It also appears he wrote and article for the SMH on this subject in 2008 for a slightly different trip: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/the-perfect-mountain-10-20081113-64nh.html?page=-1
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby kcwat13 » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 8:39 am

Hi climberman,

I recently (NYE) did the ten highest peaks on the mainland in one day. Can share info if interested. PM me.

KC
kcwat13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Tony » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 9:16 am

Hi climberman,

climberman wrote:Tony (I think it was) mentioned in another thread recently doing a walk covering these (and they are discussed here: http://www.aussie10.com/). it's a lovely idea and a mate and I are considering a nice long day doing these in March or early April. Anyone who's done this as a single go, which route did you use ? I'm looking at starting from the CP carpark. Looks like a really wonderful construct for a day out.

Thanks in advance.

We started at dead horse gap walked to the base of Rams Head Friday night where we spent the night and then did the peaks in this order Rams Head North, Ethridge Ridge, Mt Kosciuszco, Abbots peak, Byatts camp peak, Mt Townsend, Alice Rawsons Peak, Mueller's peak, Mt Northcote, Carruthers Peak, Mt Twynam (we missed Mt Dubious as we ran out of time), we camped Saturday night on the Snowy River near CP, I calculated that we walked around 33k on that day, most of that with overnight packs on. We stuffed up going between Mt Kosciuszco and Abbots Peak as we tried doing it by a direct route, going off the western side of Kosci was very steep and our highest ten peaks walk nearly ended there as my mate heart his foot, I now would do that part of the walk differently as there is a track from the Main range track to Mt Townsend, where Abbots/Byatts and Alice Rawson is very easy to do from.

My Suggestion if doing the walk from CP is to do the Mt Twynam, Mt Dubious, Carruthers, Northcote, (Muellers if time) then pick up the track to Townsend, do Alice Rawson (careful here as there are a few false peaks), Townsend, Abbotts/Byatts, back to Main range track then Mt K, the next section can be done several ways (1) Ethridge Ridge, North Rams head, Rams head, then back to the metal walk track and then back to Rawson pass and back down the road or take short cut from metal walkway to road/snowy junction (this takes a few K of the trip).

(2) once at Mt Kosci, go straight to Rams head cross country from Mt K then North rams head to Ethridge Ridge and back down the road, this would be an easy finish late in the day.
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby climberman » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks folks.

kcwat13 I have PM'd you.
climberman

Postby normclimb » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 8:31 am

I should just like to point out that Australia's highest peak is infact Mawson Peak on Heard Island........!
normclimb

Return to New South Wales & ACT