Snow camping on the Alpine track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snow camping on the Alpine track

Postby hikingoz » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 5 day winter walk around the NSW alpine area?

I've walked a few sections of the Alpine Track including Tom Groggin to Mt Bogong, Tharwa to Kiandra and Guthega to Valentines Hut during spring and summer. I'm planning an easy to moderate hike with snow shoes during the winter season. Has anyone had good experiences in particular sections of the Alpine Track or others at this time of year?

Might consider walking in Victoria but would prefer not to drive too far...
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Snow camping on the Alpine track

Postby Tony » Sat 12 Mar, 2011 5:22 am

Hi abceight,

Good to see another Canberran on Bushwalk.com.

I have done a lttle bit of snowshoeing up in the KNP, a good five or so day trip would be the classic Kiandra to Kosciuszko crossing.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hikingoz » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks Tony for the suggestion. Sorry I've taken so long to post. What do you mean by Kosciuszco crossing?

ABCEIGHT
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Thu 17 Mar, 2011 6:32 pm

It's possible to do Guthega to Kiandra (or the reverse) in 5 days on snowshoes but you may find a full crossing from Thredbo a stretch in 5, even in good weather. Best case scenario would be more like 8 providing all goes to plan. You could easily spend 5 days around the Main Range proper exploring the lakes and notable summits although it would be extremely weather dependent.

If you would like to stick to something a little familiar, maybe a repeat or variation on your previous Guthega/Valentines walk. The route provides a bit more protection through the Whites river corridor, and if the weather is ok you could visit Tin hut and Mawson return.

Just leaning on the conservative side as I'm not sure how much winter time you have above the treeline. :)

DM.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby hikingoz » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 9:48 am

I have been considering a repeat walk from Guthega. The group I will be walking with are relatively inexperienced. I havn't done much winter hiking either and I don't plan to hike on the main range this time. How is the Jugangal wilderness area for winter hiking? A through trip from Guthega to Kiandra is still an attractive idea.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi abceight,

The Jagungal area is quite remote (relatively speaking) during the winter season and can get quite gnarly weather wise. It would take around three days from either end to reach in good weather on snowshoes, plus the return journey. Most people don't attempt the crossing until they have built up a few seasons of winter travel and are usually on skis. Few people cross on snowshoes due to the time it takes. A full K2K on shoes can take up to 10 or more days if you get held down by weather.

In terms of the seasonal differences from summer to winter, you can expect full snow conditions from the park entrances most years. The weather is a fairly serious issue that needs to be monitored before and during any trip into the backcountry. The skill set and equipment needed are slightly different than what you may be used to but building on them is half the fun.
If your group is a little inexperienced, google the daylights out of all things backcountry and make sure you have all the right gear before heading out. Maybe a base camp style trip would be good way to gain some more experience for those in the party that need it.

Check out http://www.ozbc.net/ (some good basic info) and maybe try some backcountry forums on the Australian ski sites. I found them helpful.

This pic is from just below Schlink pass on a fine weather day just to give you an idea...and Jagungal from Little Twynam. Have fun and keep us posted.

DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 5:04 pm

DarrenM wrote:It's possible to do Guthega to Kiandra (or the reverse) in 5 days

DM.

So will you tell them or will I?
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DarrenM » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 6:18 pm

:lol:

My first attempt (2003ish) took 5 full days not including one and a half days of gastro madness at Mawson sitting out a blizzard.....

....I don't remember any others..... :)
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tele-whippet » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 4:37 pm

A good loop, going either way would be, Guthega Power Station - Disappointment Spur Hut - Gungarten Pass - Tin Hut - Mawsons Hut (side trip Jagungal) - Valentines Hut (side trip Valentines Falls) - Schlink Hilton - Whites River Hut - Horsecamp Hut - Guthega Power Station.
Just remember good etiquette if you want to come back with no grievous bodily injuries and DO NOT snowshoe in the single tram tracks skiers make when going up hills.
A GPS is great for navigating in white out conditions.
tele-whippet
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DarrenM » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 6:21 pm

Good advice Mr Whippet.

Here's a good example although I've found walking on the downhill side prevents crusty slabs breaking off and landing in the ski tracks.

DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 8:47 pm

tele-whippet wrote:A good loop, going either way would be, Guthega Power Station - Disappointment Spur Hut - Gungarten Pass - Tin Hut - Mawsons Hut (side trip Jagungal) - Valentines Hut (side trip Valentines Falls) - Schlink Hilton - Whites River Hut - Horsecamp Hut - Guthega Power Station.
Just remember good etiquette if you want to come back with no grievous bodily injuries and DO NOT snowshoe in the single tram tracks skiers make when going up hills.
A GPS is great for navigating in white out conditions.

Interesting trip! Ive been looking at the map since last year trying to figure out a good path for this winter, and you just gave me an excellent idea to try.

and sorry if I'm ignorant, but what do you mean by good etiquette? are you referring to getting out of skier's ways as to not stop their momentum?

cheers.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby tele-whippet » Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:15 pm

When skiers ascend a slope, they get grip either from the pattern on the base of their skis or from climbing skins attached to the base of the skis for uphill friction, both of which need maximum contact with the snow. Compressed snow makes for the fastest most efficient ascent, thus the first skier breaking trail on an ascent does the hard yards laying down the compressed track which subsequent skiers use for a more pleasant ascent and can go on auto-pilot cruise mode as their skis are locked into the "tram tracks" of compressed snow.
IF snowshoers wander all over a single "skin track" it stuffs it up by chopping the surface up and so decreasing the maximum contact area between skis and snow causing crutch destroying downhill slippage when lugging a big pack and also destroying the side walls of the tram track.
A ski track and a parallel snow shoe track is good etiquette on the uphill and avoids skier rage.
Downhill etiquette is a different kettle of fish!
tele-whippet
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby hikingoz » Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks tele-whippet. Dissapointment spur does make the walk to Valentines or Mawson Hut into a more interesting circuit. I might consider this option if the weather is good. Interesting point on etiquette too...
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby foghornx » Tue 17 May, 2011 3:53 am

Sorry to hijack (though its still on the same topic) - but any opinions on the Main Range Circuit walk from Guthega in winter?

Difficulty level? Doable on Snowshoes? How much longer should it take than the 3-4 days for the walk in summer?

thanks
foghornx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hikingoz » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm

Thought I'd put an update in on this thread.

I went to Guthega on the weekend. Headed out friday from the power station. Camped on a saddle on disapointment ridge just below Mt Gungertan. Stayed at tin hut on the second night. Over the kerries to schlink hut and then back to the car on sunday. It was an amazing trip. Well worth the effort. THanks to those who suggested trips etc

My walking buddy dropped his red Black Diamond snow shovel on the way from Mt Gungarten to Tin Hut. If anyone has located it please let me know and I'll be very greatfull.

P6110050.JPG
nallo 3 snow blown
P6110050.JPG (99.24 KiB) Viewed 20144 times
P6110071.JPG
light snow about 20-30cm
P6110071.JPG (84.1 KiB) Viewed 20144 times
P6110073.JPG
P6110099.JPG
lunch near the top of mt gungarten
P6110099.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 20144 times
P6120133.JPG
tin hut
P6120133.JPG (68.05 KiB) Viewed 20144 times
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cdg » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 2:22 pm

Those are some amazing foters.

I must say that first tent photo - i feel sorry for anyone inside!
cdg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks abceight,

brings back memories.
IMG_1041.jpg
Tin hut nearly covered with snow
IMG_1041.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 20127 times
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 3:23 pm

ohhhhh nice pictures- love the 3rd one :)
cheers
lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tele-whippet » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 4:57 pm

Nice one abceight.
More snow in that neck of the woods than I thought, excellent.
Heading down w/e after this, hoping for a tad more white stuff.
tele-whippet
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DarrenM » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 7:14 pm

Nice work and thanks for the update.
Unless you get back before Monday, the shovel may be there until spring. I'll check the hut log in the next couple of weeks in case it has been spotted.
Great pics. :D
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hikingoz » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 7:29 pm

Wow tony. You wouldn't have had much of a view out the window with snow like that :D The snow was light on the ground when we descended to tin hut on saturday. it would have been even lighter on sunday arvo in the warmer conditions.

CDG - both me and my mate were laughing in the the Nallo 3 tent. it looks a littly funny in the photo 'cause it was frozen solid. It was well into the minus temps. we cooked dinner and melted snow inside with still enough room for packs etc. It was easily up to the challenge which is a relief 'cause paying for it was like passing a brick :oops: hehe

thanks for the nice comments folks
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 7:26 pm

Nice red hot flash pants ABC!

red's obviously your new fabourite colour now. what model snowshoes are they?
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 7:57 pm

abceight wrote:Wow tony. You wouldn't have had much of a view out the window with snow like that

Hi abceight,

Here is a photo looking out of Tin Hut window, you might also like the photo of the Trig on top of Mt Gungartan.
IMG_1047.JPG
View out of Tin Hut window
IMG_1047.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 20059 times

IMG_1161.JPG
Trig at Mt Gungartan
IMG_1161.JPG (36.53 KiB) Viewed 20059 times
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hikingoz » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 11:25 pm

Cheers for the photos Tony. I really appreciate the comparrison. It makes me want to head back deeper into the season. For the record that window is now cracked on the interior pane. Its a shame because double glased windows are a nice feature.

Ninjapuppet. The bloke in the picture is actually my mate. Standard issue State Emergency Service waterproof dacks.
Do have a lot of red stuff though. Tent, snow pegs, shovel, and MSR Denali Evo snowshoes.
The Denali snow shoes are pretty easy to come by. There are plenty of pairs for hire at the ski shop in Cooma. I was amazed at how easy they were to put on and walk in. On the downside, the strap wrecked the hard lining inside my Zamberlan bootsThere is now a hard bump which rubs against my little toe in the toe box. Not sure how to fix it...
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 2:05 pm

Lovely photos. Sounds like an amazing trip. I almost started the weekend at Guthega for the Disappointment Spur circuit, but thought it might be a bit much as I'm a trifle unfit right now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby LeftRightShoot » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 8:12 am

Gday,

Im doing a similar route starting 2 Aug for 5 days... From Gungartan we are going to the brassy mountains via Tin Hut. Then west across Valentine Creek and on to Kerries Ridge to Schlink Hut.

Any advice on crossing Valentines Creek? Im assuming there are plenty of snow bridges... especially with the recent dumps down that way.

Looking forward to it. Hope we get some clear days!

c.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:29 am

cnschulz wrote:Gday,

Im doing a similar route starting 2 Aug for 5 days... From Gungartan we are going to the brassy mountains via Tin Hut. Then west across Valentine Creek and on to Kerries Ridge to Schlink Hut.

Any advice on crossing Valentines Creek? Im assuming there are plenty of snow bridges... especially with the recent dumps down that way.

Looking forward to it. Hope we get some clear days!

c.

Hi cnschulz,

The crossing of Valentines on the route to Tin Hut from Mt Gungartan is not usually a problem as it is quite small up that high, the times I have been in that area in winter the snow has completely covered the upper reaches of Valentines creek.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LeftRightShoot » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:32 am

cool. thanks!
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:57 pm

With the current gale force warnings in the Snowies right now, a guy from my club went up there to camp at the Blue lake this morning with this "bomb-proof" Mountain Designs Ridge tent. I havent seen it but apparently its got 9.5mm poles, but they snapped like twigs and the tent parachuted away with $2k worth of gear.

Mike, if you're reading this, I warned ya!

When theres gale force warnings, be prepared to adbandon trips guys! Even if you've planned ages for it and had to take leave.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DarrenM » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 7:38 pm

Sage advice Ninja! Hope they returned safely despite the gear loss. I've had similar close calls when simply getting out of the tent just to shovel snow. The instant there is no weight to hold it down despite having good snow walls, it wants to lift.

In windy conditions I make sure I put enough snow on the edges of the tent (depending which tent) to stop lift. The problem though, is if there are large amounts of snow being deposited against the tent its easy to put the shovel through it (damaged 2 already) during a storm. I rarely leave a tent up while riding unless I know the weather will be good for the day. Things can get gnarly very quickly eh?
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT