South Coast Floods

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Floods

Postby SteveJ » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 2:19 pm

Last few days I have been trapped on my farm, cut off from town owing to the flooded Bega river. The top floated off my rain gauge so we got over 350mm in a day...
The road from my place into Bega turned into a boat ramp...that is normally a river not a fast flowing lake.

The Bega River a bit further up

The sign does not lie.

Here are a few shots from my deck of the stormy skies over Bega Valley. Using the fisheye function for a bit of fun[:)]

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: South Coast Floods

Postby DarrenM » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 2:44 pm

Great shots Steve!
Spose you'll be busy running all the local rivers for a while!
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby SteveJ » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 2:50 pm

Darren, there are a few safer ones I will tick off the list in the next week of so as they get to a safer level :-) ATM there's too much brown water and too many strainers for my liking.

Did you get enough rain to do your trip yet?
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 2:53 pm

Wow, I know there's been an incredible amount of rain in some places. The other day in the BOM rainfall stats I discovered a location, Mt Darragh, that looks to be in your region. It showed something like 372mm in 24 hours :shock:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DarrenM » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 4:59 pm

SteveJ wrote:
Did you get enough rain to do your trip yet?

Not yet mate, but I'm hoping it will belt down just prior to Easter. Upper Colo gauge only hit around 1.6m after the rain last week as most of it was coastal. I'd like it to be at least that or up to 2m as It would drop back considerably over the trip. I have another idea simmering away in the Morton/Budawang region but it may be spring/summer before I can manage it.
Stay safe if you hit the local stuff and look forward to the reports.

Cheers Darren.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DebFar » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:43 am

massive amounts of rain, we coped it here in the Illawarra...was supposed to be away kayaking/camping up the Shoalhaven River last weekend (sunday/monday) . . saturday night we thought narrr better not go, they ended up with something stoopid like over 300mill and also heard there was like 6mtrs height barreling down under the Hampden Bridge on the Kangaroo, which sounds a hell of a lot and thought they have to be joking.

top water views SteveJ, been ages since Ive been in Bega, my olds lived at Narooma

cheers Deb

PS anyone seen how the levels are up on the Shoalhaven/Kangaroo River, bet the dam spillway is massive
"It doesn't matter the size of the mountain that faces you. Keep climbing!"
DebFar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby climberman » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 3:51 pm

Darren - let us know about the Morton trip.... have had some ideas as well, be interesting if they were similar.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DarrenM » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 5:52 pm

Plenty of options around the area. (PM) Having a Packraft is like suddenly growing a set of wings.....you can walk around a place for years and think you know it, then a 4th dimension opens up.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mountnman » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 9:19 pm

DebFar wrote:massive amounts of rain, we coped it here in the Illawarra...was supposed to be away kayaking/camping up the Shoalhaven River last weekend (sunday/monday) . . saturday night we thought narrr better not go, they ended up with something stoopid like over 300mill and also heard there was like 6mtrs height barreling down under the Hampden Bridge on the Kangaroo, which sounds a hell of a lot and thought they have to be joking.

top water views SteveJ, been ages since Ive been in Bega, my olds lived at Narooma

cheers Deb

PS anyone seen how the levels are up on the Shoalhaven/Kangaroo River, bet the dam spillway is massive

Apparently the Kangaroo River got over 10 metres, you couldn't see the steps leading down to the river from the carpark next to the bridge. We walked over it on Wednesday on our way to Barrengarry Store for lunch (Worlds best pie's :D ), and it had dropped considerably, you could see where the water had got up to, but it was maybe 1.5 - 2m above normal.
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DebFar » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 9:43 pm

mountnman wrote:Apparently the Kangaroo River got over 10 metres, you couldn't see the steps leading down to the river from the carpark next to the bridge. We walked over it on Wednesday on our way to Barrengarry Store for lunch (Worlds best pie's :D ), and it had dropped considerably, you could see where the water had got up to, but it was maybe 1.5 - 2m above normal.

10 metres...good god thats massive :shock: should be well back to normal heights then in two weeks, planning trip for then :D
"It doesn't matter the size of the mountain that faces you. Keep climbing!"
DebFar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT